Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 10:57:41 PM EDT
Looking into taking a precision class and I need a scope. I'm looking for something that will help me learn the fundamentals and allow me to participate in the class. The scope will not permanently live on this particular rifle. Just something for me to use until I can save up and get a proper piece of glass. I'd like to get something that's decent quality as I'll probably place it on a different rifle. I'm open to any reticle option really.

The rifle in question is an MK12 Mod 1 clone (18" 1/8 5.56 barrel).

What are your recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your budget? For $300, the SWFA Super Sniper 10x is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Super sniper scope ! They start at about 350.00 for 10x40 .
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't know what you consider budget but I would recommend any of the 3 scopes I've bought recently...

Weaver Kaspa 1.5-6x32 illuminated with bdc reticle. (maybe not precision but I like it on my SPR) Got it for like $199 with a Burris QD mount

Primary Arms 4-16x44 illuminated mil-dot $174...hard to beat

Weaver 2-10x36 super slam, illuminated...got it on sale at Natchez for $400...Check Natchez for sales, they have really good prices...
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This is the answer.  Mil/mil turrets and reticle are ideal for precision shooting as they are accurate and track faithfully.  Very good for price point real Japanese glass and construction.  A steal at $299 when on sale.  Compares to scopes at least 50% more costly.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is the answer.  Mil/mil turrets and reticle are ideal for precision shooting as they are accurate and track faithfully.  Very good for price point real Japanese glass and construction.  A steal at $299 when on sale.  Compares to scopes at least 50% more costly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

These are quality scopes, especially when they go on sale for $300.  If Optics Planet has this scope in stock, they will most likely sell it for the $300 if you open a chat with them and ask them to match that price.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Lots of good options guys. Thank you. You hit my price point spot on. I'm looking at the Primary Arms 4-14. Both the .308/.223 version and the 5.56 version.

.308/.223

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-414x44-ffp-scope-with-patented-acss-hud-dmr-308-reticle/p/pa4-14xffp308/

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-414x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-556-nato-reticle/p/pa4-14xffp-acss-hud-dmr-5.56/

Now seeing that it will be mounted on a 5.56 rifle I'm assuming that I should go with the latter scope? The likelihood of me mounting it on a .308 is unlikely because I don't currently own one but if I really get into long range stuff I may end up purchasing one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Can the above be used not illuminated?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

These are quality scopes, especially when they go on sale for $300.  If Optics Planet has this scope in stock, they will most likely sell it for the $300 if you open a chat with them and ask them to match that price.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Weaver GST we are recommending is a MidwayUSA exclusive.  It is by a wide margin better than any $299 tactical scope when you can catch it on frequent sale.

While Primary Arms offers nice budget scopes, they must compromise on optical quality to add the illumination and special  FFP BDC reticles, and use less expeneive and heavy materials.  The scope represents good value, but resolution and contrast suffer at distance compared to scopes with Japanese glass.  The link does not disclose the weight of the scope.  Ifyou download the owners manual you will see it weighs a very hefty 24 ounces!  That's a lot to lug around.  By contrast, Leupold's $299 non-illuminated Mark AR 3-9x40 tactical scope weighs half that at 12 ounces.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can the above be used not illuminated?
View Quote

Yes the red horseshoe turns black when off, and the horseshoe is the only part of that reticle that illuminates. One reason why I like the mildot better.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Bushnell Elite 10x40mm for $200 on Amazon
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#13]

If you are a vet contact Vortex for .mil pricing.

Of the scopes listed in this thread, I would get the Weaver from Midway - even though I don't like the 1" tube.  The Weaver 3-10 with mil/mil turrets and reticle is a one of the better deals going.

SWFA 10x is pretty useable as well.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Now I'm checking this thing out. Anyone have reviews on the tracking and the mil measurements being correct as far ranging targets?

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
http://swfa.com/Blackhawk-3-9x40-Tactical-Riflescope-P66735.aspx
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have used this scope many times on my buddies rifle out to a 1000 and it is good to go.  The SWFA SS is great as well and has parallax adjustment, but not a variable at this price point.

The Primary Arms 4 x16 using their version of the HORUS reticle is getting good reviews from some buddies of mine but I have yet to get to use one myself.  Hope they come out with a 25 X and I will Fo.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now I'm checking this thing out. Anyone have reviews on the tracking and the mil measurements being correct as far ranging targets?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are AWESOME for tracking and ranging (within the limits of ranging with a 10x).  But not mil/mil or variable.  The lack of a parallax knob may or may not be an issue.  According to the experts (and I am not) parallax is not an issue for scopes up to 10x.  But I think being able to adjust a little bit of focus for mirage past 600 might have made things a little easier.

I think everyone should have one of these good, basic, scopes for at least a benchmark.  And I've never seen anyone break one with use.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They are AWESOME for tracking and ranging (within the limits of ranging with a 10x).  But not mil/mil or variable.  The lack of a parallax knob may or may not be an issue.  According to the experts (and I am not) parallax is not an issue for scopes up to 10x.  But I think being able to adjust a little bit of focus for mirage past 600 might have made things a little easier.

I think everyone should have one of these good, basic, scopes for at least a benchmark.  And I've never seen anyone break one with use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe Bushnell makes this scope in both 1/4 MOA turrets and 1/10 Mil turrets
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I believe Bushnell makes this scope in both 1/4 MOA turrets and 1/10 Mil turrets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  My mistake.  I learned something new today.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the Mil/Mil version and have box tested mine several times.  Right on the money every time.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Whatever you do, whether fixed 10x or variable 3-10x type, do not make the mistake of MOA turrets and MIL reticle.  That is very confusing. You want both reticle and turrets in the same system.

A fixed 10x scope is great at distance and fixed targets when you know you will not be shooting inside of 100 yards.  For closer or for moving targets, a variable will be better, more versatile, and have a wider field of view at the lower powers.  Don't skimp on the glass for tacticool bells and whistles, though.  Good glass and matching reticle with accurate tracking, repeatable turrets are what you seek for precision shooting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have the Mil/Mil version and have box tested mine several times.  Right on the money every time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have two MOA versions and have had the same result. It is a durable scope.

This pic is at 100 yards if I remember correctly, hope it helps. The orange sticker is the size of a quarter

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Check out Athalon Optics. I bought one and for the money they are hard to beat. They have awesome reticles.

Getting good reviews at snipers hide forum. http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5511-rifle-scopes/14402673-athlon-scopes

https://sportsgearoptics.com/5-rifle-scopes

I bought this scope and it's a solid scope with clear glass. $299 FFP scope. Based on same scope as the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP scope.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Now I'm leaning towards the SWFA SS 10x42. I like that it has the 30mm tube and parallax adjustment. Those that have one what do you like/dislike about it?

I also see they sell a 12x. Any reason to choose the 10x over the 12?

https://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Primary Arms 4-14 and absolutely love it for my application, which is usually casual range shooting steel out to 300 yds, occasionally out to 500 and beyond.

I would not consider it a serious, long term investment for more robust, longer range use.

The glass is better than most other chinese I've used, but it is a bit clunky, and the clicks are a bit mushy and inconsistent sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This pic is at 100 yards if I remember correctly, hope it helps. The orange sticker is the size of a quarter
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii81/dphill15/guns/005%202_zps8z9ywixc.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is the reticle so out of focus?   Most pics through the eyepiece of scopes here have both a sharply focused reticle and sharply focused target.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why is the reticle so out of focus?   Most pics through the eyepiece of scopes here have both a sharply focused reticle and sharply focused target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 year old camera and a poor photographer
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#28]

This.  An outstanding scope for the $299 sale price.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Now I'm leaning towards the SWFA SS 10x42. I like that it has the 30mm tube and parallax adjustment. Those that have one what do you like/dislike about it?

I also see they sell a 12x. Any reason to choose the 10x over the 12?

https://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

View Quote

I debated the 10x vs 12x for a while. Decided to go with 10x since its the standard as far as fixed power. So far it has worked fine up to 300 yards, and soon will try it at 600. Some claim to shoot comfortably out to 1000 with a 10x.

As far as likes/dislikes - rugged and a lot of bang for the buck. Glass is good, but not as good as my Leupold (different league). Reticle is decent, but I find it somewhat faint and hard to shoot groups with. No problem if you are hitting steel.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd get the 12x.  I've got the 16x on my .308.  Very pleased.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'd get the 12x.  I've got the 16x on my .308.  Very pleased.
View Quote

I'd get the 12x as well.  I have the 16x on a .308 bolt gun.  Good glass and it tracks great, passes the box test with ease.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#32]
"Some claim to shoot comfortably out to 1000 with a 10x. "

All other things being equal I'll take glass quality over magnification at distance.

A rather famous 2100yd (IIRC) shot was made with a 10x Leupold.

With good glass I can see the x-ring on a 1000yd F-class target at 10x.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are these made in Japan?

I'm cool with Japanese glass, Chinese on the other hand
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Are these made in Japan?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are these made in Japan?

Japanese made. The mil/mil is a Midway exclusive. I had one for a bit. Clear and sharp little scope with a decent eye box. I will say after buying and selling this scope, I wish I would've sprung the extra change on the Midway GST mil/mil though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Are these made in Japan?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are these made in Japan?

Yes, great scope for the money.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are these made in Japan?

Bastards!

I ordered two.

Sounds like plenty enough scope for my needs.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top