Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2016 8:59:04 PM EDT
I have pretty much convinced myself to order a couple Holosun HS403G's for a 9mm and 5.56 build, but found PSA is running the Bushnell TRS-25s on sale for $59.  I have two of them sitting in my shopping cart now, any reason to avoid them?  I know battery life won't be as good as the Holosun, but seems like they would be hard to beat for $60...although it does look like I will have to source a high rise mount to use on the AR's.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one before for about a year.  I just had to waist more money and replace it with an Eotech at the time, but I swear it's the best bang for the buck red dot out there.

If I didn't "have" to have a circle/dot, I would have bought another Bushnell after I sent my Eotechs in.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Well worth the money.

Size, and the view you have around the sight are great ( the rheostat is angle mounted ).
Quality is nice and the warrantee is great

You get the mount as well, what's not to like ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
You get the mount as well, what's not to like ?
View Quote

Which mount does it include?  Best I could tell, it only has the low mount...
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Check to see where the emitter diode is located on the TRS-25.  If it is at approximately 4 o'clock position, disregard this post.  It is fine.  Later production models have the emitter moved down to the bottom, 6 o'clock.  From that position the diode is shrouded and blocked from displaying the dot in the upper 1/3 of the field of view.  This is a problem.

One advantage red dots have over other sights is that if you can see the dot from any angle and place it on the target you will get a hit.  You don't have to center your eye in the eyepiece.   But, with the newer TRS-25 you cannot get the dot to even show up in tbe upper 1/3 of your field of view.  It simply disappears.  There are a number of threads here on this subject.  This is a design defect that greatly handicaps the utility  of the optic for its intended use.

This has been called to the attention of Bushnell.  They are aware of the problem and acknowledge that it is real.  They have declined to do anything about it, to my knowledge.  The older one I have has the 4 o'clock diode and has full range of dot movement.  Others with newer ones are not so lucky.  If you only shoot with your eye centered in the eyepiece,  you will never notice this defect.  But, if you make full use of the capability of a red dot, you will be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Check to see where the emitter diode is located on the TRS-25. If it is at approximately 4 o'clock position, disregard this post. It is fine. Later production models have the emitter moved down to the bottom, 6 o'clock. From that position the diode is shrouded and blocked from displaying the dot in the upper 1/3 of the field of view. This is a problem
View Quote

I appreciate the information...but considering I will be ordering them online, not sure checking the diode position is an option.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a newer model where the dot is missing in the top 1/4.  Really annoying.  What you're about to order is likely a newer model, too.  The new emitter location also interferes with lower 1/3 co-witness.  I will be replacing mine with another PA advanced.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I took a chance and ordered 2x of the TRS-25's from PSA.  I'll probably order a couple of the standard height/co-witness mounts, and see how they work out.  Worst case, I don't like them and can mount them on a couple .22 pistols....
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:43:27 AM EDT
[#8]
The trs-25 is defiantly  worth the price...it's not great, but it's good enough. I had one for about 4 or 5 years...can't really say nothing bad about it for the price. It was reliable, always held zero...the clarity wasn't perfect, but it was usable. That being said, the Holosun is probably a lot better. I know for sure my Vortex sparc, and Strikefire were way clearer, so was my gen 3 Primary Arms micro. But the TRS 25 did what my PA couldn't...it survived over night at the bottom of a bucket of water. All of my other rds were dry, the PA was filled with water. After that, I sent it back to Marcus, and he talked me into my first Aimpoint...and haven't looked back. Now, I own nothing but Aimpoints, all bought from PA. Funny how things work.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:48:21 AM EDT
[#9]
That being said, the Holosun is probably a lot better.
View Quote

I'm 99% sure I will still be ordering an HS403G, but simply couldn't pass on the TRS-25s for $60 each.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, waiting for PSA to send me my "Order Shipped" email....

On another note, any particular brand of CR2032 batteries to buy?  I ordered a 10x pack of Sony branded batteries off eBay for $5 shipped, curious to see how they work out.  My plan is to initially leave the sights on for a while, and see what kind of life I can get before the dot is too dim for use.  One of the sights will be going on an 8" 9mm AR, the other on a 10.5" in 5.56....also curious to see if one is any "harder" on the sight than the other.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I appreciate the information...but considering I will be ordering them online, not sure checking the diode position is an option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Check to see where the emitter diode is located on the TRS-25. If it is at approximately 4 o'clock position, disregard this post. It is fine. Later production models have the emitter moved down to the bottom, 6 o'clock. From that position the diode is shrouded and blocked from displaying the dot in the upper 1/3 of the field of view. This is a problem

I'm telling you right now the problem is real. I'm telling you they do know and will tell you tough shit if you call about it. I was told they are going to fix it but not until the end of the year. Do not waste your money. Get a PA option.

Edit:  saw you bought them. Errr, keep the RMA label handy I guess is all I can say. For ten or twenty more bucks you should have gotten the PA red dot.

IF....IF these were the old TRS's then it would have been totally worth it. Not with the disappearing dot though. Not a shot. But maybe you'll get two good ones?  Who knows

Here is mine starting to disappear. Keep in mind that's on high setting. It's gone completely if I go a thousandths higher and to the top of the glass.  Oh, and the knob to turn it on and adjust it is unbelievabley hard to turn.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe they will be the older models, I have no idea.  Either way, I'll give them a try and see how they work out.  Oddly enough, I never saw any mention of this issue when I did a Google search on the sight, but I do admit I didn't type in any kind of specifics.  Is it just a problem if you are looking through the sight at awkward angles?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe they will be the older models, I have no idea.  Either way, I'll give them a try and see how they work out.  Oddly enough, I never saw any mention of this issue when I did a Google search on the sight, but I do admit I didn't type in any kind of specifics.  Is it just a problem if you are looking through the sight at awkward angles?
View Quote

If you look at it straight on and just do bench shooting you should be fine.

The same thing happened to me. I did a quick Google search and everyone raved about them. So I ordered one and then started finding the threads here and there that talk about the issue. And like I mentioned, they admit it.

I kept mine because I have other sights and this just lays around. If it wasn't for this big issue it would be a great sight.

Maybe it won't bother you. Just because I'm curious, keep us updated.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:59:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Of course, the obvious question here, why did they change the emitter position?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who knows. If I had to guess, somehow it makes it cheaper to produce.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I speculate.   Down at 6 o'clock it is less visible in the field of view.  Perhaps they thought the 4 o'clock location was intrusive.  It may not be the emitter position, per se, but rather that the shroud over it is too long and blocks the beam from the upper FOV.  Either way, it is a bad design and they know it.  Probably have to complete their contract obligation with the Chinese company making them before reverting back to the good design.  They've been selling the bad one for over two years!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#17]
So, Bushnell went the Vortex Sparc route on emitter placement, so you can't co witness on certain set ups, mainly an AK. What a shame, I had one of the first TRS-25s, and it was damn good for the money, I't lasted at least 5 years...and I'm sure it's still going for whoever it belongs to now. The only problem I ever had with it, was that I would consistently forget to turn it off, after range trips...that really wasn't it's problem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a fan of mine, and I paid 70-something for the "AR Optics" version w/ the high-rise mount. It's a great RDS for the price.
Hell I'm tempted to buy another for $60 for no reason at all... (edit: out of stock now).
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Outstanding RDS for the money.  I have three of the older designs with the emitter at the 4 o'clock position.  First one went through hell and back on an AK with an Ultimak tube and is still going strong today.  They are tuff little red dots.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of mine, and I paid 70-something for the "AR Optics" version w/ the high-rise mount. It's a great RDS for the price.
Hell I'm tempted to buy another for $60 for no reason at all... (edit: out of stock now).
View Quote

When I bought mine, they were over a hundred, ( I want to say $129 at Cabela's) and they had a low rail mount, as part of the body. I had to cut, and paint... I think a UTG riser to get it up to lower 1/3 co-witness height. They were worth every penny back then. The sad thing about it, from the way it sounds....they were better built back then, then what they are now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When I bought mine, they were over a hundred, ( I want to say $129 at Cabela's) and they had a low rail mount, as part of the body. I had to cut, and paint... I think a UTG riser to get it up to lower 1/3 co-witness height. They were worth every penny back then. The sad thing about it, from the way it sounds....they were better built back then, then what they are now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I literally just bought mine from Midway about two weeks ago. Emitter @ 4o'clock, and it works great.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I literally just bought mine from Midway about two weeks ago. Emitter @ 4o'clock, and it works great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like you have the older version Do they still have the built in rail mount, or is it more of an Aimpoint micro mount?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Looked exactly like this:
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, so they haven't changed that, at least they throw in a riser now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes me really mad that I could have gotten one of the older good ones. Damn. Mine didn't come with a riser either. Fucking Bushnell.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like there are two different packages you can get, one of which that comes with a standard low mount, and another that comes with a high rise mount for co-witness.  It isn't really "fuck Bushnell" worthy, you just didn't order the right package.

Low mount

Hi rise
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

PSA shipped my two out today, maybe I will get lucky...
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Received mine from Palmetto today, and the emitter is in the 4:00 position for what it's worth. So I guess I received a good one?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Received mine from Palmetto today, and the emitter is in the 4:00 position for what it's worth. So I guess I received a good one?
View Quote

Hmmm, maybe PSA is getting rid of old stock....
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I just ordered one for a .308 bolt gun off of Amazon.  I'm usually a PA fan but on Amazon the Bushnell was Prime eligible and the PA fixed base wasn't.  Guess I'll find out if mine has the 4 or 6 oclock emitter tomorrow when it gets here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like there are two different packages you can get, one of which that comes with a standard low mount, and another that comes with a high rise mount for co-witness.  It isn't really "fuck Bushnell" worthy, you just didn't order the right package.

Low mount

Hi rise
View Quote

I wasn't even shown that option where I ordered mine. Oh well. I'm hoping you get two good ones man.
Im at least hoping mine are as solid as the old ones. I'm going to start abusing it (nothing ridiculous) just to see.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#32]
What is the battery life on these?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#33]
That Bushnell hi-rise mount sucks. It's too high to even get lower 1/3.

Get just the optic and then a UTG riser.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I *believe* it's 3k hours...I went ahead and ordered a 10x pack of Sony batteries off eBay for $4.90 delivered..
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

3,000 hours at level 7 of 11.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

I should have mine on Monday, I'm going to leave them on for a while and see how long the batteries last.  3k hours should mean around 4 months, but batteries are cheap enough you could change them every 2nd month and not have to worry.  I guess the question becomes, what is the lifespan of the actual diode/emitter?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:57:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Got mine today. 77 dollars on amazon prime same day delivery.  4 oclock emitter. Will be zeroing sometime this week.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I should have mine on Monday, I'm going to leave them on for a while and see how long the batteries last.  3k hours should mean around 4 months, but batteries are cheap enough you could change them every 2nd month and not have to worry.  I guess the question becomes, what is the lifespan of the actual diode/emitter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Considering high power flashlight leds have a 50k hour life a very low power low drain led in a red dot probably has a lifetime led life.

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-108600.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Both of mine arrived today, and both have 4 o'clock emitter positions.  First thing I noticed, emitter housing protrudes a decent amount into the field of view.  I don't remember this when I tried one out a couple months back, so I'll have you see how much I notice it once it's mounted forward on the upper...regardless, I am happy so far for $59 each.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Both of mine arrived today, and both have 4 o'clock emitter positions.  First thing I noticed, emitter housing protrudes a decent amount into the field of view.  I don't remember this when I tried one out a couple months back, so I'll have you see how much I notice it once it's mounted forward on the upper...regardless, I am happy so far for $59 each.
View Quote

Either they resumed production of the 4 o'clock version or you got lucky with some old stock. If you can see the dot at the top of the FOV (see below) you are good to go.  The emitter does protrude, but you'll soon forget it, especially considering the price.  You did well.  Forgive crappy cell cam.  All I could find right now.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I contacted Bushnell via email to bitch about the 6 o'clock emitter and ruining a good product and here is what they sent back

Thank you for contacting Bushnell Customer Support.

Per the Product Team:

We standardized the 4 o’clock emitter position on this sight as a result of customers with AR15 rifles who want to co-witness their gun’s iron sights through the optic. When it was at the 6 o’clock position, customers said they could not see their iron sights.

Model AR731306 – TRS 25 with hi rise mount

We appreciate your business.
Julia
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Seems like Bushnell listened to the customer, but curious to see if they will offer swaps to those with the 6 o'clock emitters.  

Mounted mine last night, already wishing I had bought 2 more....will be interesting to see how they hold up to short pistol 9mm and 5.56 ARs!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Buy one and you'll buy more !
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Held up to 120 rounds out of my Mossberg Patrol .308 the other day.  Granted 120 rounds under an optic is nothing to brag about but I've read reviews of guys with these on 12 gauge shotguns so I think it'll be good to go on a 9mm or 5.56 AR.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought my first red dot, the Bushnell TRS-25. I have astigmatism but the dot don't blur to badly for me so I'm digging it.

I bought it through jet.com because they sent me a 15% off coupon code in the mail and have free shipping over $35. First time customers can get a 20% off code to save even more. I paid $62 for it and it has the 4 o'clock emitter and came in a cardboard box not in blow molded plastic. Then i bought a medium riser off ebay for $8
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#46]
ok well there does seem to be a problem... I mounted the TRS-25 on my AR just to test out the co witness and see how it aimed. And i notice that a portion of the top right field of view makes the dot disappear. The emitter is clearly in the 4 o'clock position though so im not sure if this is a problem or not.

The area shaded in blue is the area the dot disappears in.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Mine does that too, I noticed. Never noticed it while shooting though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Haven't noticed that on either of mine...
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
ok well there does seem to be a problem... I mounted the TRS-25 on my AR just to test out the co witness and see how it aimed. And i notice that a portion of the top right field of view makes the dot disappear. The emitter is clearly in the 4 o'clock position though so im not sure if this is a problem or not.

The area shaded in blue is the area the dot disappears in.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2ld9is7.jpg
View Quote

What a shame.  Sounds like they moved it back to its original position, but cintinued to use an emitter shroud that extendscout too far, blocking part of the beam.

It should look like this on my "older" TRS-25.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top