Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 5:35:33 PM EDT
Have a new kahles 1x6 and have A nikon m233xr 30mm will that work or do I need to find something different
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a new hahles 1x6 and have A nikon m233xr 30mm will that work or do I need to find something different
View Quote

As long as the optic has a 30mm tube you should be okay.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You have the Cadillac of all 1-6 scopes.  Why put it in a mediocre at best mount?  Buy a Bobro and do it right.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have the Cadillac of all 1-6 scopes.  Why put it in a mediocre at best mount?  Buy a Bobro and do it right.  
View Quote

This is what I was thinking as well
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer.  Bobro is your solution.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Bobro, or Sphur.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Bobro.....no reason to cheap out now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Another recommendation for Bobro...30mm, extended, single latch
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Agree that a nice QD mount would be fitting for that scope.  I prefer Larue, but Bobro or ADM would also be good.  All three are well made and have excellent return to zero.  I just like that the Larue levers are closer to the side of the rail.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bobro, or Sphur.
View Quote

The Spuhr mounts are outstanding.  It's like fine jewelry for your rifle.  Worth every penny if you really want/need all the features it offers.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Spuhr mounts are outstanding.  It's like fine jewelry for your rifle.  Worth every penny if you really want/need all the features it offers.

http://imageshack.com/a/img911/9716/86EZHr.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bobro, or Sphur.

Nice mounts, but three inches behind the charge handle?   It's  a shame you have to mount such a fine scope so far back and have no ability to adjust eye relief except extending the stock and moving your head much farther back.  Cantilever mounts would be much better, IMHO, on the short AR15 receiver.  Beautiful eye candy should also be practical.  Most of us would want the scope at least as far forward as the rear of the charge handle and many want it even more forward.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Bobro is only QD mount to have imo.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nice mounts, but three inches behind the charge handle?   It's  a shame you have to mount such a fine scope so far back and have no ability to adjust eye relief except extending the stock and moving your head much farther back.  Cantilever mounts would be much better, IMHO, on the short AR15 receiver.  Beautiful eye candy should also be practical.  Most of us would want the scope at least as far forward as the rear of the charge handle and many want it even more forward.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/EBC1F60B-A732-4193-BE93-3206D9FCB11F_zpshbkrfq5p.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bobro, or Sphur.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/EBC1F60B-A732-4193-BE93-3206D9FCB11F_zpshbkrfq5p.jpg

Well, actually the optic was originally mounted slightly forward of the charging handle when I was using an extended Bobro mount, but I wanted to run offset irons, so it was a compromise.  To add, Bobro didn't offer a non-extended 34mm mount that afforded me a 20 MOA cant at the base.  I'm also adding an LMT DMR stock, which means I'll only need to extend the butt plate in order to gain the desired eye relief.  I have no issues with running it set up this way.  YMMV.    Last point, the backside of the eyepiece is less than 1.5" past the rear of the charging handle, not 3" as you mentioned.  It might appear to be extended further due to the angle of the shot and the Tennebraex eyepiece cover that's in place.  Even then, the rear of the scope is still well under 2" past the rear of the CH.

ETA:  I have more than enough real estate on the monolithic upper receiver to move the optic so that it's forward or sits flush with the CH, but why?  I'm good with it.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a nightforce unimount fan.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, actually the optic was originally mounted slightly forward of the charging handle when I was using an extended Bobro mount, but I wanted to run offset irons, so it was a compromise.  To add, Bobro didn't offer a non-extended 34mm mount that afforded me a 20 MOA cant at the base.  I'm also adding an LMT DMR stock, which means I'll only need to extend the butt plate in order to gain the desired eye relief.  I have no issues with running it set up this way.  YMMV.    Last point, the backside of the eyepiece is less than 1.5" past the rear of the charging handle, not 3" as you mentioned.  It might appear to be extended further due to the angle of the shot and the Tennebraex eyepiece cover that's in place.  Even then, the rear of the scope is still well under 2" past the rear of the CH.

ETA:  I have more than enough real estate on the monolithic upper receiver to move the optic so that it's forward or sits flush with the CH, but why?  I'm good with it.  

http://imageshack.com/a/img633/273/MKqmWu.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bobro, or Sphur.

Yeah I'm not sure why he said that. Who cares where your scope ends up as long as it works for you. Clearly you could move it forward if you needed to. But you don't want to because you like the eye relief that is provided and it works for you, that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm not sure why he said that. Who cares where your scope ends up as long as it works for you. Clearly you could move it forward if you needed to. But you don't want to because you like the eye relief that is provided and it works for you, that's all that matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bobro, or Sphur.

I said it because it is very unorthodox and seems a strained justification for the mounts.  And he has to even extend the buttplate to get decent cheekweld, we now see.

Why not, then move the whole thing forward on a monithic rail, or put it in a Larue QD, which does have 20 MOA option for 34mm and run offset irons, too.

LT-745 in 34mm with 20 MOA would do it all. don't you think?

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-scope-mount-qd-lt745
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:12:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I said it because it is very unorthodox and seems a strained justification for the mounts.  And he has to even extend the buttplate to get decent cheekweld, we now see.

Why not, then move the whole thing forward on a monithic rail, or put it in a Larue QD, which does have 20 MOA option for 34mm and run offset irons, too.

View Quote

Dude, chill.  I run it the way I want.  What's so hard to understand about that?  No one seems to give a shit.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Just heard of too many issues with LT mounts on .30 cal weapons. I'd not. On a .30, hard mount it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just heard of too many issues with LT mounts on .30 cal weapons. I'd not. On a .30, hard mount it.
View Quote

Please elaborate............
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They shoot loose if you run 'em hard, based on what people are saying who use LaRue mounts. I don't, so I cannot comment from experience, but every higher (500+) round-count course I have read AAR's on, LaRue mounts are full of fail, even when properly tightened (have to use Molle straps to remove them) before hand. I'm sure Mark will be in shortly with his shake-machine video and a wall of photos and military contracts and whatnot, but the fact remains that on .30 cal weapons, hard-mounts are best. Nightforce, Geissele, KAC, Leupold, etc.

Here is one such AAR:

I saw 5 out of 7 LaRue scope mounts loosen on .308 guns in a Shrek "Heavy Carbine" class that I hosted in late 2013. John claimed that he saw similar results in every "Heavy Carbine" rifle class he teaches regardless of how tight the LaRue mounts are set-up due to the extra pressures inside of the .308s. My Bobro mount cracked at the cross bar that rests between the rail sections after running it thru the Shrek class on a .308 LaRue PredatAR.

For 5.56 guns I have never seen one loosen that was set-up properly. They are fine on 5.56 ARs. For .308 ARs I would only recommend a fixed/non-QD scope or optic mount.

----

Not sure if it was a fluke or not. I haven't seen anyone else have it happen. My Bobro did retain its zero on the .308 during the class. It didn't crack until a couple of months after the class when I moved it back to my 5.56 AR and fired several hundred rounds of 5.56 thru it.

Like I said, seen a lot of LaRue's on 5.56 mm guns and 12 ga shotguns without any issues. Use non-detachable mounts/rings on .308 and bigger calibers.
---Gary Roberts

Note: The Bobro also broke, although the poster (another site, not TOS), said that it seemed like an anomaly, that should clue you in to how much stress is placed on a mount in that application.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They shoot loose if you run 'em hard, based on what people are saying who use LaRue mounts. I don't, so I cannot comment from experience, but every higher (500+) round-count course I have read AAR's on, LaRue mounts are full of fail, even when properly tightened (have to use Molle straps to remove them) before hand. I'm sure Mark will be in shortly with his shake-machine video and a wall of photos and military contracts and whatnot, but the fact remains that on .30 cal weapons, hard-mounts are best. Nightforce, Geissele, KAC, Leupold, etc.

Here is one such AAR:

---Gary Roberts

Note: The Bobro also broke, although the poster (another site, not TOS), said that it seemed like an anomaly, that should clue you in to how much stress is placed on a mount in that application.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is one such AAR:

I saw 5 out of 7 LaRue scope mounts loosen on .308 guns in a Shrek "Heavy Carbine" class that I hosted in late 2013. John claimed that he saw similar results in every "Heavy Carbine" rifle class he teaches regardless of how tight the LaRue mounts are set-up due to the extra pressures inside of the .308s. My Bobro mount cracked at the cross bar that rests between the rail sections after running it thru the Shrek class on a .308 LaRue PredatAR.

For 5.56 guns I have never seen one loosen that was set-up properly. They are fine on 5.56 ARs. For .308 ARs I would only recommend a fixed/non-QD scope or optic mount.

----

Not sure if it was a fluke or not. I haven't seen anyone else have it happen. My Bobro did retain its zero on the .308 during the class. It didn't crack until a couple of months after the class when I moved it back to my 5.56 AR and fired several hundred rounds of 5.56 thru it.

Like I said, seen a lot of LaRue's on 5.56 mm guns and 12 ga shotguns without any issues. Use non-detachable mounts/rings on .308 and bigger calibers.
---Gary Roberts

Interesting.  I've had nothing but positive experiences running Bobro mounts on both variable optics and RDS.  First time ever hearing about a failure.  Nevertheless, I won't run LaRue mounts.  I have my reasons, and you just hit on one of them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dude, chill.  I run it the way I want.  What's so hard to understand about that?  No one seems to give a shit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No hate here, run what you like.  But, I have an opinion, too, and it is that he might actually want a more normal eye relief and cheek weld position.  If so, I think the Larue 20moa 34mm mount would get him there.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No hate here, run what you like.  But, I have an opinion, too, and it is that he might actually want a more normal eye relief and cheek weld position.  If so, I think the Larue 20moa 34mm mount would get him there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the DMR stock gets here I'm sure it will ultimately drive where the scope resides.  One of the reasons why I prefer a longer LOP in the stock is because when I shoot prone it's easier on my shoulder.   I had surgery on it a couple years ago and it still bothers me today.   Being able to extend my arm out just a little bit further helps to ease that a bit, and as a result, it drives where I emplace the scope in order to get a comfortable cheek weld and proper ER.  Running an extended mount won't cut it for me.  Tried it with the Bobro and I ended up losing real estate for the offset BUIS in the rear.  I also wanted to run a anti-cant device, and since it's built into the Spuhr it eliminated the need for an additional attachment.  We just can't assume we're all built the same.  We all set up our rifles based on what works for us as individuals.   Nameste.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top