Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 4:06:27 PM EDT
I've had this KNS front sight post for a while now; it improves my shooting significantly. But it has always sat too high in the FSB, about flush with the ears. Then the other day I noticed it was bent, making me shoot a little too high. Don't know how it happened.

Sight post: https://www.primaryarms.com/KNS_AR15_M16_AR10_SR25_Round_Dot_Post_Sight_p/ar-rnd034.htm

My question is could I shave off some material on the base where the threads are to make it shorter? I want to keep using this sight post, but don't want to have to worry about it getting bent again.

Thanks y'all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure you could try. I would run a nut up it first then use a dremal cutoff wheel or grind some off. Then back out the nut to straighten out the threads.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure you could try. I would run a nut up it first then use a dremal cutoff wheel or grind some off. Then back out the nut to straighten out the threads.
View Quote

That's a good idea. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a KNS .052 round dot post for a while until I bent it pulling my AR from a soft case. I tried straightening it but could never get it just right so it would always lean left or right depending on where it was indexed. When you reinstall it you will see what I am talking about. Unless it is perfectly staight, it will lean left or right, or if you lucky to the front or rear where you won't notice the bend.

It was great for precision shooting with the rear aperture rear sight. I eventually went back to a square post for the durability though. I have a .034 as well but it is very thin and I was worried I would bend it at some point too.

You could also try filing the bottom of the threaded portion off some instead of cutting it off because it is a little fragile and might bend just clamping it.

Was your POI right on before it bent? Lowering the post in the FSB is going to RAISE your POI. The front post moves the POI the opposite of the rear sight. Raising the post lowers the POI, lowering the post raises the POI.
Where as the POI moves in the same direction the as REAR sight when it is moved.

I wish those KNS round dot posts were a little harder to bend, but not so much to allow them to break if snagged again. I really liked the precision and speed using them. After I had it set like I liked, I would just hold the dot in the center of the aperture and target. It made it was easy to get tight centered groups.

They can get caught on something and bend even when they are below the ears too, so be careful if you continue to use it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used a KNS .052 round dot post for a while until I bent it pulling my AR from a soft case. I tried straightening it but could never get it just right so it would always lean left or right depending on where it was indexed. When you reinstall it you will see what I am talking about. Unless it is perfectly staight, it will lean left or right, or if you lucky to the front or rear where you won't notice the bend.

It was great for precision shooting with the rear aperture rear sight. I eventually went back to a square post for the durability though. I have a .034 as well but it is very thin and I was worried I would bend it at some point too.

You could also try filing the bottom of the threaded portion off some instead of cutting it off because it is a little fragile and might bend just clamping it.

Was your POI right on before it bent? Lowering the post in the FSB is going to RAISE your POI. The front post moves the POI the opposite of the rear sight. Raising the post lowers the POI, lowering the post raises the POI.
Where as the POI moves in the same direction the as REAR sight when it is moved.

I wish those KNS round dot posts were a little harder to bend, but not so much to allow them to break if snagged again. I really liked the precision and speed using them. After I had it set like I liked, I would just hold the dot in the center of the aperture and target. It made it was easy to get tight centered groups.

They can get caught on something and bend even when they are below the ears too, so be careful if you continue to use it.
View Quote

Yea, that was my mistake. It definitely raised my POI, about 4 inches at 100 yards. And at this point I don't think I can go back to the old square post, I've been spoiled by this one. Hopefully I can lower it a little and it won't get bent again. I've also tried the medium sized ball KNS post, but prefer the smallest one.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top