Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 12:30:04 PM EDT
So I finally decided to try a tac scope. Found a good trade for a vortex pst 1-4. It came with two arms qd mid rings. I actually like the height and would like to hang in there with them for a while. Not really in a hurry to buy a $150 mount atm. However, it straddles the upper and handgaurd as it sits and I need it more forward still. Looks like this.

I know the ideal thing is to just get an appropriate mount. The question is. What if I moved the forward ring behind the turrets? Would any undesirable effects stem from not having support on the front of the tube? Areas marked in yellow.

Not wanting to fo right now because I'm unsure if I want to keep it or not. Sometimes I want to say screw it and go irons.

If this would be harmful to the scope than its a no go, any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess the real  question is will mounting the scope straddling the upper and guard effect accuracy?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess the real  question is will mounting the scope straddling the upper and guard effect accuracy?
View Quote

I wouldn't bridge like that.
Just move the mount and scope back some.
You may have to move your head a little, adjust.
But I'm guessing with a 1X4 on it, its not like you plan to be laying on the scope all day.

Or just spend the $ and get a 1pc extended scope mount.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It could, and I'd venture a guess it's a lot more likely since you're not using a 1 piece mount.  

FWIW, you don't need to spend $150 and it doesn't have to be QD for you to get a quality 1 piece cantilever mount.  I've heard good things about the SWFA S.S.A.L.T. and the Burris PEPR mounts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm familiar with the ssalt, was also looking at aero precision, and vortex for that matter. Do you know of a 30 mm mount that's medium instead of cowitness height?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm familiar with the ssalt, was also looking at aero precision, and vortex for that matter. Do you know of a 30 mm mount that's medium instead of cowitness height?
View Quote

I'm not really sure about the height thing.  Is "medium" taller or shorter than "cowitness" height?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not really sure about the height thing.  Is "medium" taller or shorter than "cowitness" height?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Medium rings are lower than co-witness, in fact extra tall is lower than co-witness. Larue's cantilevered scope mounts center the crosshairs at 1.5" which is close to dead on co-witness. Leupold's cantilevered bases center the scope at 1.4" which I think is perfect for me. 1.375" works great for me as well.

Many people will advise against jumping the front scope ring on to the free float tube but I have done it without any problems on some builds. If your float tube has any movement in it it's not installed properly. Your scope centerline and position has to work for you. It needs to be perfect regardless of magnification setting or shooting position. If that means moving the front ring forward so the entire scope can move forward than so be it. The rear ring can go forward as well but forward movement will be limited by the elevation/windage turret.

Cantilevered scope mounts are the best, but your rings will work if they're high enough for you.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Medium rings are lower than co-witness, in fact extra tall is lower than co-witness. Larue's cantilevered scope mounts center the crosshairs at 1.5" which is close to dead on co-witness. Leupold's cantilevered bases center the scope at 1.4" which I think is perfect for me. 1.375" works great for me as well.

Many people will advise against jumping the front scope ring on to the free float tube but I have done it without any problems on some builds. If your float tube has any movement in it it's not installed properly. Your scope centerline and position has to work for you. It needs to be perfect regardless of magnification setting or shooting position. If that means moving the front ring forward so the entire scope can move forward than so be it. The rear ring can go forward as well but forward movement will be limited by the elevation/windage turret.

Cantilevered scope mounts are the best, but your rings will work if they're high enough for you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is good advice, but I still avoid bridging to the tube, no matter the quality, as it will flex somewhat, especially with a bipod.

Safest course would be a decent cantilever one piece.  Another choice not yet mentioned is the Leupold Mark 2 IMS at about $100.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the leupold suggestion, but that's still too far back. I need it in front of the charging handle more than it already is. For what it a worth ,I prefer the mounts that cantilever straight out opposed to the ones that angle up. Purely aesthetic. But I prefer it. Still not even sure if the tac scope is for me. I got used to binden shooting with my eotech. But I'm left eye dominant, right hand shooter. Trying to look through this this with both eyes open is very tough. Practice more I guess.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my Aero Precision Ultralight SPR mount.  I have used LaRue and ADM mounts on several ARs. For non-quick detach, I have used PEPR and some other I cannot recall, along with the Aero below.  If you need QD, LaRue, Bobro, and ADM are all great.  If you are not in the need of QD, the Aero ultralight blew the PEPR out of the water.  It is so light, I could hardly believe it.

Vertexops.com has some in stock and primary arms seems to get them from time to time.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Turns out that leupold ims can be bought locally for $99. Unless something on the fb groups pops for cheaper I'll give it a shot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top