Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2015 8:41:18 PM EDT
Ok guys, this is actually for a bolt action but I figured this would be better than the precision rifle section. But anyways, my 12" .308 bolt gun build starts tomorrow with its stamp getting sent off and I'd like to go ahead and pick up an optic for it even though it has a 20" barrel still. I have about $450 to spend and would prefer that included my rings

Personally, I was thinking a PA 1-6x even though it's below budget. The ones I've handled seemed on par with those 2+x the cost but what does the hive say? Would a different magnification be more applicable? I don't plan on super long range other than just for fun, most shots will be within 400 yards. And yes, I know no kind of BDC reticle will match it but that doesn't bother me very much
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Nevermind, picked up a leupy VX3 2.5-8x at the local Cabela's. Nothing fancy but I like it so far
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It's hard to go wrong with leupold
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's hard to go wrong with leupold
View Quote

Got that right.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nevermind, picked up a leupy VX3 2.5-8x at the local Cabela's. Nothing fancy but I like it so far
View Quote

Not sure about what you mean by "fancy", but VX-3 glass (optical quality) is quite good.  Not Zeiss Victory or Kahles or Swarovski, but perhaps the best available at its price point.  Use with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not sure about what you mean by "fancy", but VX-3 glass (optical quality) is quite good.  Not Zeiss Victory or Kahles or Swarovski, but perhaps the best available at its price point.  Use with confidence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But everything arfcom has taught me is that if I didn't sell a kidney to get it, it must be utter crap what I meant is that it's meant to be zeroed at one range only, no adjustments on the fly. But you're right, the glass is awesome. Too bad it'll be a few days before I can shoot it...damn 20 MOA base put putting me wayyyyyy too low at 100 yards via boresight plus the rain
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you really need the 20 MOA base?  Unless you plan to shoot well beyond 400 yards, even with that short barrel, it might not be necessary for the distances you will shoot.

The VX-3 3-9x40 is really intended for hunting within "point blank range" which to me means a trajectory set up about 2.5 to 3" high at 100 yards, so that you don't deviate from line of sight from end of the barrel out to almost 300 yards.  That's where most hunting is done.  If you want to shoot beyond that distance, you need a BDC reticle, or preferably matching MOA or MRAD turret/reticle combo.

Depending on base and rifle design, you could put a small shim under the front of the base, between it and the receiver, if the base is very rigid, and bring barrel down some in relation to the scope, if you don't want to buy a new base.  It usually works out to about 1 MOA per thousandths of an inch of shim.  So a small .010" shim under the front of the base, might bring it down enough to get you sighted in at 100.  Do not shim rings in this setting, only under the front of the base and only if the base is very rigid.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you really need the 20 MOA base?  Unless you plan to shoot well beyond 400 yards, even with that short barrel, it might not be necessary for the distances you will shoot.

The VX-3 3-9x40 is really intended for hunting within "point blank range" which to me means a trajectory set up about 2.5 to 3" high at 100 yards, so that you don't deviate from line of sight from end of the barrel out to almost 300 yards.  That's where most hunting is done.  If you want to shoot beyond that distance, you need a BDC reticle, or preferably matching MOA or MRAD turret/reticle combo.

Depending on base and rifle design, you could put a small shim under the front of the base, between it and the receiver, if the base is very rigid, and bring barrel down some in relation to the scope, if you don't want to buy a new base.  It usually works out to about 1 MOA per thousandths of an inch of shim.  So a small .010" shim under the front of the base, might bring it down enough to get you sighted in at 100.  Do not shim rings in this setting, only under the front of the base and only if the base is very rigid.

View Quote

I ditched the 20 moa base today (it came with the rifle) for just a run of the mill Blackhawk base. I don't plan on changing anything though (as in with turrets/zero), I'm the first to admit that I'm just an average shot and can only make center of mass hits out to about 400 yards most of the time hence why I want to lop down to 12"
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I ditched the 20 moa base today (it came with the rifle) for just a run of the mill Blackhawk base. I don't plan on changing anything though (as in with turrets/zero), I'm the first to admit that I'm just an average shot and can only make center of mass hits out to about 400 yards most of the time hence why I want to lop down to 12"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good decision.  I think you will finf that you have enough elevation with the zero MOA base to shoot as far as you plan.  If you to need more elevation, look for a 10 MOA base rather than 20.

Let us know how this scope works for you at the range.  If you hunt you will really like its low light performance and low weight.  Leupold has that low weight thing down better than just about anybody.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good decision.  I think you will finf that you have enough elevation with the zero MOA base to shoot as far as you plan.  If you to need more elevation, look for a 10 MOA base rather than 20.

Let us know how this scope works for you at the range.  If you hunt you will really like its low light performance and low weight.  Leupold has that low weight thing down better than just about anybody.
View Quote

Will do
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top