Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2015 8:25:41 PM EDT
I was shooting prarrie dogs today at 350-400 yards with my 223 and PST 6-24 SFP scope. I was unable to get a clear scope picture with my magnification turned up past 12. I tried using the sunshade, waiting for the barrel to cool (hoping to eliminate heat from mirage), nothing worked.

It was the first time I have shoot the scope at these distances.  I have however used the scope at at 24x before on a 100 yard range and found the eye relief difficult to manage.  I needed to move my eye closer to the scope to get a scope picture at all with the magnification turned up past 12.   Shooting on a 100yrd range, once I adjusted my position the optics clarity seemed fine.  However at longer ranges clarity at high magnification is bad.

I would expect these high magnification clarity issues from a $100 scope, but the Viper PST, with its excellent reputation and costing $750 I expect better performance.

What do folks think?  Does this sound like a mechanical issue and I should send it in for warranty repair?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
My 4-16 PST is headache blurry above 8x.
Everyone who looks through it (experienced optics guys)
All try to adjust it but it's a lost cause.
A quick Google search shows this is a common issue
With the 4-16 PST.
I did not think the 6-24 suffered from this problem.
Hopefully Vortex gets you fixed up. They have a great reputation.

My 4-16 is going back soon but I fear it's not defective.
love the scope for all its bells and whistles but the glass leaves a
lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
How old is your scope and did they get it fixed . Looking at getting a vortex viper in the 4-16x50
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With the 4-16 PST.

lot to be desired.
View Quote

My 4-16 is blurry beyond 12x. I love my 1-4 but im disappointed with the 4-16.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one on order and have seen similar posts lately. Sounds like there going to sort you out which is good to hear.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I would do the following before calling Vortex:

1) Make sure your ocular focus is set properly.
2) When sighting at longer distances do not assume 400 on the parallax knob equals 400 in the field. You need to adjust for focus, move your eye around to make sure the cross hairs don't move. If they do adjust again and repeat.
3) Test on a cool calm morning with no mirage.
4) Make sure your scope is positioned properly.
5) Clean your lenses.

When these are done you can call and provide good input for the techs.

At higher magnifications just a little mirage can mess things up. On a recent antelope hunt the Swarovski spotting scope was useless above 20x.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#7]
All 24x variable scopes with 50mm objectve lens are going to have a tight, narrow eyebox and 2mm tiny exit pupil when turned up to 24x.  These are unavoidable design limitations based on the laws of optical physics.

And mirage is not just a barrel heat issue.  Rarely is.  Mirage downrange can seriously degrade image quality at more than 15x even with very costly ($2,000+) scopes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

With the 4-16 PST.

lot to be desired.
View Quote
Im in the same boat as you my pst 4-16 its near un usable over 8x. I called vortex they admitted they are aware of this issue and that customers have complained about. These complaints have came from since this scope hit the market. I fairly confident its a design flaw of some sort to many people have complained of the exact issue. I asked vortex if they have changed anything with this scope since it came out they said no its the same. The guy did not say what they did for the customers that complained about this I would guess nothing. He wanted me to pay to send back them a scope that has a known issue. Im affraid of wasting my time and money and getting the we cant duplicate the issue responce. Right now its a near $700 paper weight. Vortex needs to step up an address this known issue and make the customers confident the scope will be fixed or offer a refund. This is in no way user error. Vortex should assign one specific rep we can all contact to handle this issue. Vortex the balls in your court to show just how well your customer service is. The rep on here knows its an issue also. I told him about it a couple of years ago and provided links to fourm posts of others having this issue. I also made him aware recently. We should all be sent prepaid labels to send these back.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Have the same problem with a 3-9x.   Goes out of focus above 4x.   Have not called them yet.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Having owned several Viper PST scopes, the 4-16 line is terrible as far as glass goes. Sorry Vortex, but it is a known problem with this line. Not Vortex bashing because I own a 2.5-10x32 and a 2.5-10x44 PST models and they are very good optics for the money.
"Milky" and dull would describe the image quality of the two PST 4-16 scopes I've looked through above 12x. Has nothing to do with focus adjustments. I would own a 4-16 PST if my experience had been different.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to defend Vortex (I don't even own one of their scopes), but the experience with the 4-16 line, even if true, would not apply to OP's 6-24x50.  

I would want to rule out parallax adjustment issues (don't go by labels on the knob), and mirage downrange at a minimum.  I will also say again that the eyebox and exit pupil on a 24x scope with a 50mm objective lens is only 2mm.  Move your eye even one mm to the left, right, up or down, and you will get very dim image because you have lost 50% of the available light, and move it two mm and the image goes black.  That is an optical physics reality that no manufacturer can overcome.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
How many people have to complain about the same issue before vortex actually belives there is an issue? Reamber the rule of 10 from buisness class and thats very conservative. If vortex is un able to fix my scope will a refund be offered?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey guys, just wanted to comment on this quick. Looks like some people have already posted some useful troubleshooting techniques on here. I would have suggested some of the same things. Another thing to check would be the torque applied to the ring screws. We recommend 15-17 inch-pounds on most ring styles. It's important not to over-tighten or it's possible to impinge the parallax cell, which can cause very noticeable issues with focusing the parallax.

If anyone has an issue with any Vortex product, please call customer care and they would be more than happy to have a look at anything someone wants to send in. Their number is 800-426-0048 ext. 6

If something is not working as designed, they will definitely take care of it. Many people are very happy with their 4-16x PST, but if someone isn't, customer care is more than happy to have a look at it. It's not impossible that something could be wrong with an individual scope. We are definitely open to that possibility, but the 4-16x PST line has been an excellent seller for us and in no way is it considered faulty or defective as a line. Thanks, guys, and please do not hesitate to call with any further questions.
View Quote

Id like to send mine back. Are you going to give me a shipping label? My 1-4x is great as is my 4-16x under 12x. The issue is I thought I was buying a scope that goes to 16x.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How many people have to complain about the same issue before vortex actually belives there is an issue? Reamber the rule of 10 from buisness class and thats very conservative. If vortex is un able to fix my scope will a refund be offered?
View Quote

This thread is NOT about the 4-16.  Maybe take that discussion to another thread, off line to the toll free number suggested, or to the Vortex industry page?

Are you having a problem with a 6-24x50?  Let's try to focus (pun intended) on that scope and OP's issue.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This thread is NOT about the 4-16.  Maybe take that discussion to another thread, off line to the toll free number suggested, or to the Vortex industry page?

Are you having a problem with a 6-24x50?  Let's try to focus (pun intended) on that scope and OP's issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but it is about possible issues within the PST line which the OP may be experiencing. I don't see how bringing up issues from the exact same line of scopes is off point.
If we were saying PST vs Razor or Diamondback etc. then sure, it would be off point. I'd assume Vortex sources their PST glass from the same place.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the title of the tread its not a 6-24x50 spacific thread. Its about the pst high magnification issue

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#18]
The highest magnification Vortex I have is 3-9, but I have been eyeing a 6-24x50 for some time now.  Searching reviews on the net, this is the first I have heard of this.  Unfortunately I have not come across one of these scopes in the wild to look at in person.  I am interested to hear more experiences from actual high magnification owners/users.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess you guys, none of which have a 6-24x50mm PST, realize that you jacked the OP thread and he left.  Great job!

Now we'll never know if the suggestions solved his problem. or if it was his scope.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#20]
There was a fairly long thread on snipershide about this and a guy did a review and showed pictures through the scope and you could see how cloudy it was. That was couple of years ago. It seems that thread has gone into the archive and I cant see it anymore. This is where a couple of years ago when I first saw this scope taking heat because of this Vortex was notified then.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-rifle-scopes/184446-question-vortex-viper-pst-owners.html
There are other customer that have have mentioned this issue in various other threads.
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-428795.html        <-------  Same issues
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3791890.0         <------- Same Issues
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=211713      <-------- Same Issues

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2304671  <---------- Same Issues
In one of those treads Vortex replaced the scope for the customer with a brand new one which is great but no word if the replacement had the same issue. And of course they said they couldn't replicate the issue.

I could keep going but should be enough to show its a known issue that Vortex is well aware of.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I guess you guys, none of which have a 6-24x50mm PST, realize that you jacked the OP thread and he left.  Great job!

Now we'll never know if the suggestions solved his problem. or if it was his scope.
View Quote
Stay on track with the topic of the tread.Thanks

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try reading the title again. It's not speak if I call about the 6-24. It's about high magnification issues.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#23]
If its clear at 100y but fuzzy at 400y its one of two things.  Parallax adjustment or just atmospheric haze or mirage.  Somedays it doesnt matter if your $3,000 glass is as clear as a diamond, you cant improve on what mother nature is giving you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If its clear at 100y but fuzzy at 400y its one of two things.  Parallax adjustment or just atmospheric haze or mirage.  Somedays it doesnt matter if your $3,000 glass is as clear as a diamond, you cant improve on what mother nature is giving you.
View Quote

I'm surprised no one else has said this. The glass clarity was fine at 100 yards when you got it figured out (at the same magnification), but it's blurry at 400? That's a focus/parallax problem.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I can understand that if it was the same for several scopes. But I have taken different scopes with the same power range that cost a lot less and some that are in the same price range on the same day and looking a the same target at the range 100 yards and the only one that is extremely cloudy is the Vortex viper PST 4-16 I have. I have not been able to dupliate this issue with any of my other scopes at any power range whether it be Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss, ect. This seems to be a Vortex PST specific issue.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Try reading the title again. It's not speak if I call about the 6-24. It's about high magnification issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no reading comprehension problem whatsoever.  What say ye about the very first sentence in the thread?

"I was shooting prarrie dogs today at 350-400 yards with my 223 and PST 6-24 SFP scope"

I don't jump on sound bites in thread titles.  I read the full context.  He was trying to get help on a PST 6-24x PST.  He was run off.   Congrats.

His problem is almost certainly parallax adjustment, eye relief and eyebox related.   Once again, I don't even own any Vortex scope, but I can read.  How does your rant help him?

Y'all just keep pissing to each other about your different scope.  Take it up with Vortex or start your own thread.   As best as I can tell, there have been no reported problems of this sort with the 50mm objective lens 6-24x PST.   You've run off OP and now everyone else, it seems, trying to identify and help with his problem.  Have fun griping to yourselves.  Any sympathy you may have had for your different problem is gone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

True, but this is a somewhat well known issue with PST scopes. Higher magnification just isn't very desirable with the PST glass. SWFA even warned me of this before I purchased. I have two.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have no reading comprehension problem whatsoever.  What say ye about the very first sentence in the thread?

"I was shooting prarrie dogs today at 350-400 yards with my 223 and PST 6-24 SFP scope"

I don't jump on sound bites in thread titles.  I read the full context.  He was trying to get help on a PST 6-24x PST.  He was run off.   Congrats.

His problem is almost certainly parallax adjustment, eye relief and eyebox related.   Once again, I don't even own any Vortex scope, but I can read.  How does your rant help him?

Y'all just keep pissing to each other about your different scope.  Take it up with Vortex or start your own thread.   As best as I can tell, there have been no reported problems of this sort with the 50mm objective lens 6-24x PST.   You've run off OP and now everyone else, it seems, trying to identify and help with his problem.  Have fun griping to yourselves.  Any sympathy you may have had for your different problem is gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rant........I've praised their1-4 PST and the 4-16 @ lower powers. Are you the OP or moderator? Tell you what, you are the one OT and if you have a continued problem with me, take it to IM or the PIT. Till then I feel free to comment on my high power issues with a scope by the same company in the same product line.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#29]
We recommend 15-17 inch-pounds on most ring styles. It's important not to over-tighten or it's possible to impinge the parallax cell, which can cause very noticeable issues with focusing the parallax.
View Quote

The above, I'm thinking more people then not really haven't got a clue on how tight 15/17 INCH pounds really is, we saw the  issue with guys breaking screws and stripping threads out in different thread, 17 inch pounds is less then 1.5 ft pounds

I know it bite a buudy in the ass and he turns wrenches for a living, Vortex replaced the scope and let him know he screwed the pooch mounting the old scope
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The above, I'm thinking more people then not really haven't got a clue on how tight 15/17 INCH pounds really is, we saw the  issue with guys breaking screws and stripping threads out in different thread, 17 inch pounds is less then 1.5 ft pounds

I know it bite a buudy in the ass and he turns wrenches for a living, Vortex replaced the scope and let him know he screwed the pooch mounting the old scope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
We recommend 15-17 inch-pounds on most ring styles. It's important not to over-tighten or it's possible to impinge the parallax cell, which can cause very noticeable issues with focusing the parallax.

I  can definitely see this being a problem for some. In my case I used to build a lot of rifles as an 07/02 SOT and used Seekonk torque wrenches on my scope. I still experience the high mag issues reported here.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top