Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 10:46:29 AM EDT
I do not currently own any scopes and I literally know almost nothing about scopes. I just started looking at them a couple days ago and researching. I am building a .308 AR and need a scope for it. This will be mostly a range gun but I may use it for hunting. I plan to go out to 600 or more on occasion just for fun. Which scopes should I look at and why?

I have been looking at Vortex and Nikon m308. I really like the idea of the PA ACSS but keep in mind I know nothing about scopes.

My budget is $500 or less.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I do not currently own any scopes and I literally know almost nothing about scopes. I just started looking at them a couple days ago and researching. I am building a .308 AR and need a scope for it. This will be mostly a range gun but I may use it for hunting. I plan to go out to 600 or more on occasion just for fun. Which scopes should I look at and why?

I have been looking at Vortex and Nikon m308. I really like the idea of the PA ACSS but keep in mind I know nothing about scopes.

My budget is $500 or less.
View Quote

I got a pa 4-14 mil dot reticle. Seriously do your self a favor and don't get the acss. You can look up why bdc reticle suck. Especially at something that's meant for long range like a 14x scope. But the mil dot version is great from what I've read and what I've shot with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The ACSS reticle is designed for fast ranging on known sized targets. I'd dispute that it is the suck, it accomplishes ranging same as a mil-dot does but without the math... However, it is a busy reticle and doesn't have much use at known ranges... I personally preferred the mil-dot because the illumination of the mil-dot more than the horseshoe on the ACSS reticle. PA makes a good product but it has a one year warranty and the glass is probably better on the other 2 choices even though they are probably at the higher end of your budget.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with the Nikon monarch 3.  The 4-16x42 is 430$ on sale at swfa (site sponsor)

It will be going on my dpms GII .308. This will be my 5th Nikon, extremely happy with the value that brand brings to the table.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just found out the ACSS is going into an ACOG so it must be a decent reticle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the Nikon M308 with the Nikon mount on a PA308 with the nikoplex and my friend has one with the bdc.so far they have been great scopes, I have 5 or 6 nikon scopes and love them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I would think the BDC would make it easier. What are the cons?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Alot of people think BDC's are moronic. They are made with a a cookie cutter firing solution, you would have to have the same exact make and model of the gun, same exact barrel length, same exact bullet weight and twist rate, same exact wind speed, same exact barometric pressure, same exact humidity, same exact temperature and I'm not even naming everything.  BDC's are extremely inappropriate when it comes to long range shooting.
Watch some of his videos if you really want to learn how to shoot long range.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TiborasaurusRex
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Alot of people think BDC's are moronic. They are made with a a cookie cutter firing solution, you would have to have the same exact make and model of the gun, same exact barrel length, same exact bullet weight and twist rate, same exact wind speed, same exact barometric pressure, same exact humidity, same exact temperature and I'm not even naming everything.  BDC's are extremely inappropriate when it comes to long range shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why OP should consider a mid-powered variable scope with true MRAD or MOA matching reticle and turrets. They will work with any bullet weight,  velocity and bullet ballistic coefficient from light, fast flat shooting loads, long, heavy, streamlined lone range bullets, or blunter, fast opening softpoint hunting loads.  I prefer the MRAD system.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Which is why OP should consider a mid-powered variable scope with true MRAD or MOA matching reticle and turrets. They will work with any bullet weight,  velocity and bullet ballistic coefficient from light, fast flat shooting loads, long, heavy, streamlined lone range bullets, or blunter, fast opening softpoint hunting loads.  I prefer the MRAD system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. I need to do some more research.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of range shooting are you going to be doing? If  trying to shoot tiny groups on paper is really important to you...ignore this post.

Personally, I love clear glass and illuminated reticles. For shooting steel targets and hunting, I really like my Trijicon accupoint and Leupold VX-R. The Trijicon is likely out of your price range. A Leopold 3-9X VX-R with firedot is perfect for me for hunting and shooting steel at AR .308 ranges. It is also in your price range. While not as good for shooting small groups on paper, it is vastly superior for engaging moving targets IMO.

I also refuse to buy a scope without seeing how good the glass is in person. So I can't comment on the quality of glass in the economical Primary Arms scopes. I would be very surprised if the glass was as good or better than a Leupold VXR. The magnification is wasted if the glass isn't clear.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What kind of range shooting are you going to be doing? If  trying to shoot tiny groups on paper is really important to you...ignore this post.

Personally, I love clear glass and illuminated reticles. For shooting steel targets and hunting, I really like my Trijicon accupoint and Leupold VX-R. The Trijicon is likely out of your price range. A Leopold 3-9X VX-R with firedot is perfect for me for hunting and shooting steel at AR .308 ranges. It is also in your price range. While not as good for shooting small groups on paper, it is vastly superior for engaging moving targets IMO.

I also refuse to buy a scope without seeing how good the glass is in person. So I can't comment on the quality of glass in the economical Primary Arms scopes. I would be very surprised if the glass was as good or better than a Leupold VXR. The magnification is wasted if the glass isn't clear.
View Quote

I completely agree with these observations.  The VX-R line of Leupold scopes have an amazing variety of power ranges and reticles, all designed around the center illuminated Firedot.  The Firedot reticle is fiber optic fed, is true red, and can be made full noon sunlight bright, if needed.  It is .3mil or about 1 MOA in size, making it just large enough to be conspicuous, but small enough for precise shot placement for all but sub MOA shooting.  Most rifles are not sub MOA capable, anyway.  It is motion activated, so it is always ready except if you turn it completely off for transport.  I have the 3-9x40mm Patrol version with Firedot TMR reticle and true MRAD turrets.  Glass is close to VX-3 or Mark 4 level, just under it. which is very good, especially in low light.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top