Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2015 6:49:20 PM EDT
I have a Smith M&P 15 Moe. I recently bought a Leupold VX-R patrol 1.25 x 4 for it.

I need a mount. Was thinking about an Aero Precision or Larue, but the more I read about mounts, the more I see almost exclusively glowing reviews for Bobro.

This is the mount I am currently considering:

http://swfa.com/Bobro-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P47215.aspx

Any reason why this won't work for me? They also have extended version of same mount, should I consider that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
that scope has 3.7 to 4.1" of eye relief, you may want to consider getting the extended mount, especially if you shoot NTCH or close to it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with the mount you listed.

The majority of ARs you see here are these two (and with good reason): AD Recon 30 and Larue LT-104

If the Bobro is more $$$,  you may want to ask yourself if it's worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a big fan of this one, although it's not QD...  http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/integral-mounting-systems/mark-2-ims-30mm-integral-mounting-system/

Typically around $99 and it's not as bulky/heavy as some of the other tactical cantilever mounts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I currently have a couple LaRue's and Bobro's I'm using. I honestly believe they are equal in quailty and function.  I like that the Bobro is self adjusting but I like the LaRue levers much better.  The Bobro is kinda fat in the lever area for me.  
They both return to zero pretty dang good.  
ADM's are ok but in my experience, and I used two for quite a while, they don't return to zero quite a well and they definitely rust much easier.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is a VX-R Patrol in a 10MOA Larue LT-745.  I shoot NTCH so it is almost too far back for me.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got my first Bobro mount in today, a compact ACOG high mount, and it is awesome. I plan on buying a more traditional style scope in the near future, and will most likely buy a Bobro mount for that as well. I used to buy LaRue.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got my first Bobro mount in today, a compact ACOG high mount, and it is awesome. I plan on buying a more traditional style scope in the near future, and will most likely buy a Bobro mount for that as well. I used to buy LaRue.
View Quote

+1

Bobro is really gaining traction. It returns to zero every time. It weighed 7.75oz on my scale.

I sold it today to get the Aero ultralight (3.3oz). Trying to save weight. 1/4lb saved!

I have another bobro on my PA 4-14 ACSS. Love them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the idea that the Bobro mount doesn't grind on the underside of the rail when you remove and install the mount.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Delete. See post below.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]
This standard LT-104 should be fine. Here is my 3-9x Patrol in that mount.  It is the same from the turrets back as the 1.25-4x version.  Note the room to push the scope forward.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend the extended mount as well. I shoot pretty damn close to Nose-to-charging handle and have a Luepold in an ADM recon mount and I have the sucker pushed pretty far up because the eye relief is so generous.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the advice comments. I'm going to take a couple more days to make up my mind. Leaning toward the Bobro still, probably an extended version.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want a couple more very nice higher end mounts to throw in the mix check out Aadland, Spuhr, Knight's Arm., JP Enterprises, & American Rifle Co. Out of all of them I think Spuhr is the absolute best there is, but others would do the job just as well i'm sure for a little less cash.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Bobro makes an amazing mount, it's as simple as they come and solid.

recent publication...

mount width vs larue

the cam on the larue makes it smilar overall

but the bobro is that wide over a longer span

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks again for all the comments/advice. I just ordered a Bobro extended mount. Will post pics when I get scope mounted.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a Smith M&P 15 Moe. I recently bought a Leupold VX-R patrol 1.25 x 4 for it.

I need a mount. Was thinking about an Aero Precision or Larue, but the more I read about mounts, the more I see almost exclusively glowing reviews for Bobro.

Any reason why this won't work for me? They also have extended version of same mount, should I consider that?

View Quote

Bobro is amazing for a QD mount.
Aero is amazing for a non-QD mount.
LaRue is old technology, but that doesn't mean it's bad or ineffective. USSOCOM used LT mounts when testing the MK6. Both did fine.

All depends on who you like/dislike personally, and what your goals are. For example, there is gear I refuse to buy because of who made/sells it, even though it works just fine. Politics and favorites play a role now days when we have so many viable options.

Politics aside, Bobro sets the bar for RTZ. Aero, for weight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#17]
If you go Bobro and need to decide what "forward, slightly forward, or standard" configuration, this picture may help. The toughest thing is trying to figure out which configuration will be optimal and give you more room for flexibility.

IMO the standard can do everything the slightly forward can do in terms of adjustments and more. The slightly forward is NOT more foward! However it does look a bit better for 1-4x scopes as the rear of these scopes are rear end heavy in terms of aesthetics.

From top down:

2.5-10x32mm Vortex PST
Extra extended 30mm
Slighty forward 30mm
Standard 30mm

1-4x Vortex PST
Slightly forward 30mm

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LaRue is old technology, but that doesn't mean it's bad or ineffective. USSOCOM used LT mounts when testing the MK6. Both did fine.

All depends on who you like/dislike personally, and what your goals are. For example, there is gear I refuse to buy because of who made/sells it, even though it works just fine. Politics and favorites play a role now days when we have so many viable options.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are talking RTZ of essentially .1 MOA for LaRue and Bobro, and close to that for ADM. according to the data above.  Anybody here with the rifle and skill to do that?  As far as amount of rail contact as between LaRue and Bobro, when do we reach a point where being secure does not improve with more length of contact? Tactical two piece rings have less bearing surface against the rail, and no one seems to think them inferior in holding ability.  I think the difference in ADM, LaRue and Bobro is largely a marketing effort to create distinctions without a practical, real world, difference, even under extreme conditions.  All three are so good that the difference is pretty much a beauty contest. rather than one of performance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's the best out there at the present time....

Alamo four Star DLOC

http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=19&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We are talking RTZ of essentially .1 MOA for LaRue and Bobro, and close to that for ADM. according to the data above.  Anybody here with the rifle and skill to do that?  As far as amount of rail contact as between LaRue and Bobro, when do we reach a point where being secure does not improve with more length of contact? Tactical two piece rings have less bearing surface against the rail, and no one seems to think them inferior in holding ability. I think the difference in ADM, LaRue and Bobro is largely a marketing effort to create distinctions without a practical, real world, difference, even under extreme conditions.  All three are so good that the difference is pretty much a beauty contest. rather than one of performance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are talking RTZ of essentially .1 MOA for LaRue and Bobro, and close to that for ADM. according to the data above.  Anybody here with the rifle and skill to do that?  As far as amount of rail contact as between LaRue and Bobro, when do we reach a point where being secure does not improve with more length of contact? Tactical two piece rings have less bearing surface against the rail, and no one seems to think them inferior in holding ability. I think the difference in ADM, LaRue and Bobro is largely a marketing effort to create distinctions without a practical, real world, difference, even under extreme conditions.  All three are so good that the difference is pretty much a beauty contest. rather than one of performance.

I have never seen any marketing from Bobro, it has all been word of mouth
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top