Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2015 12:54:56 PM EDT
Sorry if this has been asked or talked about, I couldn't find anything on this.. But I just started building my BCM rifle. So my wife wants my old AR. So I said we will just buy another aimpoint pro. She looked through it and noticed her eyes fuzzed the dot pretty bad even on low settings. So red dots are out. Looked through eotechs and vortex strikefires. So we looked at some 1-4x scopes. She really liked the vortex crossfire II but hadn't heard too much on this. Me nor the wife want some cheapo optic. So my question here is this a good optic or if not what is? She looked at the viper PST 1-4x and with the illumination on it made it fuzz out like the RDS. Ideally I would love to just grab the TR21 but with a new colt purchase and the BCM build I can't really afford that. About $150-$500 is where my budget is. I need yalls input or expertise.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
1) Have her look through the optic in normal daylight - the distortion will be a lot less.
2) A non-illuminated reticle will show no distortion. For $150 it is hard to beat the Weaver V3 1-3x. Great JAPANESE glass, clean reticle, very light weight, generous eye box. Both my sons run them in 3-Gun and do very well against folks with multi-k$ optics.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
My astigmatism is horrible. I need an etched reticle.

I use a Leupold Prismatic. I would love a CQ/T.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I took her outside looking towards the sun not directly of course. She could see it better but still curfunky lookin.I've heard about the weaver. Kinda scares me. If I drop it off a tailgate is it still gonna hold zero?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I've heard a lot for these for astigmatism. Wife likes how it looks online but haven't got to actually look through one. How tough is it? And is it worth the money in your opinion?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry if this has been asked or talked about, I couldn't find anything on this.. But I just started building my BCM rifle. So my wife wants my old AR. So I said we will just buy another aimpoint pro. She looked through it and noticed her eyes fuzzed the dot pretty bad even on low settings. So red dots are out. Looked through eotechs and vortex strikefires. So we looked at some 1-4x scopes. She really liked the vortex crossfire II but hadn't heard too much on this. Me nor the wife want some cheapo optic. So my question here is this a good optic or if not what is? She looked at the viper PST 1-4x and with the illumination on it made it fuzz out like the RDS. Ideally I would love to just grab the TR21 but with a new colt purchase and the BCM build I can't really afford that. About $150-$500 is where my budget is. I need yalls input or expertise.
View Quote

Hmmmmmmm......

I experience really bad 'flare' but wifey might not have same affliction as me.  There are only two ways I have noted any flaring with the TMCQ reticle on the PST.  If it is out of focus, day or night, and/or if the room is really dark.   It is an excellent close range optic with a one MOA dot for paper and illuminated reticle for fast acquisition and low light performance.  It is worth a second look, preferably in focus and under natural lighting conditions.  The lack of flaring, once focused, was a major selling feature to me.

Take your time it will be a lot cheaper to get it right the first time.

TTC
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get her a Leupold VX-R 1-4 Firedot #4 reticle look for a Demo at SWFA or Cameraland NY or a lightly used one on the EE put it in an Aero Precision mount.
Very small dot next time she goes to her eye doc take the sight along and have him look through it and have her draw a pic of what she sees vs how it is supposed to look.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've heard a lot for these for astigmatism. Wife likes how it looks online but haven't got to actually look through one. How tough is it? And is it worth the money in your opinion?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what MSRP is for a new scope. I prefer used parts with the exception of barrels.
I traded at about 450-500 value. The factory mount is shit. I replaced with a Larue.

Other companies make scopes with etched reticles. Check out Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm......

I experience really bad 'flare' but wifey might not have same affliction as me.  There are only two ways I have noted any flaring with the TMCQ reticle on the PST.  If it is out of focus, day or night, and/or if the room is really dark.   It is an excellent close range optic with a one MOA dot for paper and illuminated reticle for fast acquisition and low light performance.  It is worth a second look, preferably in focus and under natural lighting conditions.  The lack of flaring, once focused, was a major selling feature to me.

TTC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm......

TTC

I've actually forgotten about that. So used to red dots now I forgot about the focus adjustment. I have to go in next week to pull out wifes colt. So when I do I'll have her look through it again. But around 500 is the top of my spectrum. I know you get what you pay for in optics.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Get her a Leupold VX-R 1-4 Firedot #4 reticle look for a Demo at SWFA or Cameraland NY or a lightly used one on the EE put it in an Aero Precision mount.
Very small dot next time she goes to her eye doc take the sight along and have him look through it and have her draw a pic of what she sees vs how it is supposed to look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually kinda like that one. And eyeballing the leupold 1.5-4x mark ar mod. How hard is to get used to a non true 1x?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've actually forgotten about that. So used to red dots now I forgot about the focus adjustment. I have to go in next week to pull out wifes colt. So when I do I'll have her look through it again. But around 500 is the top of my spectrum. I know you get what you pay for in optics.
View Quote

Not always true, more to a good build than glass and a reticle.

Be careful with the firedot, it may flare much more than the PST.  Tactical weapons should have true 1x.  Tracking with both eyes open without a true 1x sucks.  Get a true 1x or step up magnification to a 2x7.  The loss of FOV is usually acceptable with a 2x? on a hunting rifle and the extra magnification is appreciated.

TTC
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you considered a fixed, low magnification prism scope, something in 1.5x or 2.5x?

Prism scopes with etched reticles are good for astigmatism issues...just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a slight astigmatism and I own both a 1-4 PST and a M3.  Inside in low light the aimpoint does have a burst effect, however outside with the brightness turned down it looks fairly good.  On the vortex I cant get it to bloom no matter what I do, yours might be out of focus?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the same problem with astigmatism and red dots. I am experimenting with the Vortex 1x Spitfire, it is prismatic with an etched circle inside a circle and a dot. I also bought a Primary Arms fixed 2.5x prismatic with the ACSS reticle. I really like this optic, however I am learning how to shoot it with both eyes open. I can see both of these reticles clearly with or without illumination, however if the illumination is turned up too high they both will blur.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have the same problem with astigmatism and red dots. I am experimenting with the Vortex 1x Spitfire, it is prismatic with an etched circle inside a circle and a dot. I also bought a Primary Arms fixed 2.5x prismatic with the ACSS reticle. I really like this optic, however I am learning how to shoot it with both eyes open. I can see both of these reticles clearly with or without illumination, however if the illumination is turned up too high they both will blur.
View Quote

Yeah I saw that this morning on YouTube. I'm very interested in that. I just wish aimpoint did a prism. I'm just not too sure on how durable it is
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah I saw that this morning on YouTube. I'm very interested in that. I just wish aimpoint did a prism. I'm just not too sure on how durable it is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently Aimpoint has addressed the 'flare' issue in their most recent model and it is reduced.

T2

TTC

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Apparently Aimpoint has addressed the 'flare' issue in their most recent model and it is reduced.

T2

TTC

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

T2

TTC

I heard about the T2 model and price isn't bad but would like to see one in person before ordering one. But alas no gun shop I've seen in my area has anything like that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#17]
My astigmatism is pretty bad as well, red dots have some bloom to them.

A Burris MTAC 1-4x worked for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:28:40 AM EDT
[#18]
My astigmatism is bad. I have always jusr dealt with it and compensated. I guess the plus is since they all look like a bag of hammered assholes cheaper scopes dont bother me as much as they may for guys who can see better. I may have to try a prismatic for giggles and see how I like it
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My astigmatism is bad. I have always jusr dealt with it and compensated. I guess the plus is since they all look like a bag of hammered assholes cheaper scopes dont bother me as much as they may for guys who can see better. I may have to try a prismatic for giggles and see how I like it
View Quote

Wander over to the Vortex counter at Cabelas and try the Vortex TMCQ reticle.  Once focused, it will flare indoors at the higher illuminations, it will not flare in natural light.

TTC
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#20]
My astigmatism is worse in my "shootin' eye", but I just crank the brightness down to sharpen up the dot. For etched reticle scopes I really like PA's Gen 2 1-6 ACSS. It's under $300, sometimes a lot less if you find one used in the EE, and the big 30mm tube is very easy on my eyes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you everybody for your input. Some unexpected bills came up so the optic and AR will have to wait til later. Unless somebody wants to donate me some optics and parts haha.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I have terrible astigmatism when looking through an optic with red dot.....but as soon as I put my glasses on it is as sharp as can be......do y'all not wear glasses??????
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have terrible astigmatism when looking through an optic with red dot.....but as soon as I put my glasses on it is as sharp as can be......do y'all not wear glasses??????
View Quote

Some are fully correctable. Others are not.

My optometrist was a bombardier in the Air Force. He has an astigmatism and sympathized with my issue. I brought in my issued optic at the time, and no matter what we tried, I couldn't see that dot as one sharp point.

Polarized sun glasses help. Good lighting helps.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#24]
It you and the wife really like Aimpoints I would suggest trying this. Simply mount one on a rifle (or find someone who already has this set up) flip up the rear BUIS and have her look through the BUIS at the red dot. It should clean up the dot. I have a bad astigmatism and when I shoot out past 50 yards that is what I do with my Aimpoints and it works out great.. There is science to it but it's a lot to get into..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top