Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2014 10:53:35 PM EDT
Ordered a brand new Trijicon RX30 off of Amazon and got it today. Brand new box, all papers. Go to look through it and the dot looks ridiculously small. I checked the box and it does say its the 6.5MOA dot version.

Here is a pic looking through it:

And here is a pic of the same 6.5MOA dot from some random online sale that google turned up:

http://www.gunlistings.org/image/81474/3/accessories_trijicon_reflex_rx30_with_arms_15_mount

Does this look off to you guys? Seems to me I got one with the wrong sized dot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Check it with more lighting.  If it draws its illumination through the fiber optic ring, it will be dimmer in low light conditions, and brighter in hi light conditions.  Is there a protective shipping cover or plastic covering the light gathering portion?  If the surrounding lighting is so low that the tritium takes over, it will take a minute for your eyes to adjust to lower illumination level the tritium provides.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check it with more lighting.  If it draws its illumination through the fiber optic ring, it will be dimmer in low light conditions, and brighter in hi light conditions.  Is there a protective shipping cover or plastic covering the light gathering portion?  If the surrounding lighting is so low that the tritium takes over, it will take a minute for your eyes to adjust to lower illumination level the tritium provides.
View Quote

It's not really the brightness I'm worried about, its the size. It says thats 6.5 MOA and from pictures I've seen online(like the one I linked) it looks tiny. My Eotech has a 1 MOA dot, this is in no way 6x larger.

Would the Tritium taking over somehow increase/decrease the dot size?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks about right considering you can see the dot in a crappy picture (no offense.)
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
could yours, or that other image be a clone?
is there a similar image off the trijicon website

or is there a measurement for 6 moa maybe in mm's you could try to see if it matches to your dot if you had a dot on a piece of paper you can compare to side by side

does look super tiny
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Again.  Check it with a light shining on the light gathering portion or in a brightly lit room.  It looks like you are in a fairly dim room and your hand is covering some of the light gathering portion.  If there is not enough light for the fiber optic system to illuminate the dot, the tritium will be the primary light source, and it appears much dimmer/smaller until your eyes get used to the dark.  When the tritium is the dominant light in my German Reticle TR24, the dot appears to be almost a pinpoint.  When the FO kicks in, it appears to be the stated MOA size.

Even in that other picture you posted, you can clearly see whoever took that picture is either right under a lamp, or they are shining a flashlight right onto the optic.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I found that the dot on the RX30 was actually rather large.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top