Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 1:40:15 PM EDT
Hello,

I am looking for advice for choosing a scope for my application. I am building a precision AR with 20" medium profile stainless barrel with rifle gas, 1:8 twist, 223 wylde chamber, and free float handguard. I am going to add ssa-e trigger and a good bipod. My goal is to learn mid/long range shooting, test hand loads, and hopefully and eventually shoot to the limit of my handload (which I don't know yet. Maybe 800 yrds on a 12" plate or maybe even more?). This is a systematic project since I am just starting reloading and learning how to shoot to mid- long range. I would also like this rifle to be practical, not just a bench rifle. I might take it hunting with my someday. So big and heavy scopes are out. I have a 16" carbine with vortex viper PST 1-4 MRAD. I have to thank everyone on this forum for that purchase. Many searches on this forum really helped me learning. The PST 1-4 is very sweet and I love it. I can hit the plates at 300 yards with no challenge. Based on my familiarity of the vortex PST, I am going to stay with the same product line for the precision AR. I have narrowed down to either Viper PST 2.5-10 or PST 4-16. I am having a hard time making my mind on either one. I am aware that SPR normally has a 3-10 power scope and I think that has a good balance for close work and mid-long distance. But the 16 power is a huge plus for longer range. Well, please school me here. :)  Which one would you pick? All the factors I have considered are: weight, size, lowest and highest power, parallax adjustment, illuminated reticle, eye box. Did I miss anything?  I really appreciate your advice. HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're gonna shoot out to extended distances than I would definitely get the 4-16.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the PST 2.5-10 on my SPR, but moved to the 5-15 because I wanted a little more magnification.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That is an awesome picture!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is an awesome picture!!!
View Quote
Thanks, he helped put it together (at least he tried, lol).  He's getting bigger all the time, just a few more years and I'll have him out shooting with me!

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I opted for the Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP for my mid distance AR15. Just ordered it today $626 delivered. I talked with the optics shop about the different options in the 2-10, 3-15, and 4-16 power ranges while staying under $1000. Everything just kept leading back to this scope; clarity, functionality, features, weight, & price. The fellow I spoke with said he thought it was the best scope in the PST lineup.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I opted for the Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP for my mid distance AR15. Just ordered it today $626 delivered. I talked with the optics shop about the different options in the 2-10, 3-15, and 4-16 power ranges while staying under $1000. Everything just kept leading back to this scope; clarity, functionality, features, weight, & price. The fellow I spoke with said he thought it was the best scope in the PST lineup.
View Quote

Where did you order from for that price?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on how you define precision.

Do you want to shoot the smallest group possible at 800 or just hit the target center mass? 2-10 can do both if your good, and the 4-16 can do it better, but since you threw in hunting I'd go with the 2-10.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liberty Optics. When you put the scope into your shopping cart the price drops from $799 to $659, then when you go to check out you get an additional 5% discount. Hands down the best price I could find anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for the advice. My goal is to be able to see and hit 12" plate at 800 yrds. Not to shoot group at that distance.

Quoted:

Do you want to shoot the smallest group possible at 800 or just hit the target center mass? 2-10 can do both if your good, and the 4-16 can do it better, but since you threw in hunting I'd go with the 2-10.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thank you all for the advice. My goal is to be able to see and hit 12" plate at 800 yrds. Not to shoot group at that distance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

After thinking about it, and if your shooting at 800 a lot then 4-16 forsure since more magnification is always better when you get past 500 yards constantly.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm running. a Nikon Monarch 5-20x40 on my precision build. I really like it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top