Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2014 1:34:17 PM EDT
I am looking at getting a Leupold Mark 2 IMS 30mm scope mount (part # 110291) to put on my Daniel Defense M4V5.

Any good reviews and/or comments would be appreciated.

I have a question regarding the number of ring top screws…This unit only has a total of two ring top screws on the front and back ring tops.  Most other units that I have seen have four of more.  Does anyone know of any issues with this?

Where is a good place to buy this mount?

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/integral-mounting-systems/mark-2-ims-30mm-integral-mounting-system/

Thanks,
Medic-0372
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Their design doesn't appear to allow very much forward offset.  If you shoot NTCH (nose to charging handle) you will likely need more, especially if your chosen optic has long eye relief.        

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I just went through this!   Let me share my findings.  

The Mark 2 has two top bolts per ring - one on each side.  This did not impress me as very stable.  I looked at it in person, and it had a less than solid feel to it.  (I had just spent $1,000 bucks on a Leupold scope, so I wanted something rock solid to hold it.)  

I then looked at the better Mark 4. (I have Mark 4 rings on a different rifle, ther are great rings)   But the Mark 4 comes in two pieces - a base and an upper.  Together, they are over $200.00 dollars, and are still two pieces.  I wanted a mount milled from one piece of metal.

I checked out the LaRue LT104.  This mount has an amazing reputation.  So, I bought it directly from LaRue.  I mounted my scope, and went to the range.  I was 3MOA high and 3MOA right the first time I pulled the trigger.  The scope hadn't even been bore sighted, and not only was I on paper, but was close!!!  A few clicks later, I put 5 shots within an inch of the bullseye.  

Larue included a couple cool swag items with my order too.  But the rings were the star of the show.  Spend once, cry once has never been more true.  Good luck!!        

EDIT:  I also recommend the BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 Charging Handle (about $50.00).  It allows you to easily charge the weapon no matter where the scope ends up.)
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a Larue fan as well.  I've got at least 12 of their mounts right now and I've been very happy with them.  Bobro is another good option.        

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
They have a 1.5 inch cantilever. Works great with a Leupold scope with the small traditional style ocular like Mark AR and VX-1,2,3. Not so great with say a Vortex style huge ocular, need more cantilever with those.

Cheapest place to buy I'm aware of is WEBYSHOPS.  They ship same day most times if ordered early and always free if over I think $40. Sign up for their emails and get $10 off your first purchase via email code. It would be $72 and change delivered, most want $90-$100 for that mount.

I have one paired with a Leupold 1-4 turkey plex shotgun scope. The scope and mount only weigh 14 oz. which is just about the weight of a full size Aimpoint. Feels even lighter to me because the weight is a little farther back than the Aimpoint if mounted in the far forward position on the receiver.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their design doesn't appear to allow very much forward offset.  If you shoot NTCH (nose to charging handle) you will likely need more, especially if your chosen optic has long eye relief.          
View Quote

This is the gun and scope that I am using the mount for.  The scope in the picture is just where I want it.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cheapest place to buy I'm aware of is WEBYSHOPS.  They ship same day most times if ordered early and always free if over I think $40. Sign up for their emails and get $10 off your first purchase via email code. It would be $72 and change delivered, most want $90-$100 for that mount.

View Quote

Thanks for the tip...I just signed up for their e-mails and got a $10.00 off code.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]
If you like the scope where it is the IMS mount will work. You won't get it much farther forward though without running the mount out on the rail. Probably max 1/8"-1/4" or so more forward with your scope keeping the mount on the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am looking at getting a Leupold Mark 2 IMS 30mm scope mount (part # 110291) to put on my Daniel Defense M4V5.

Any good reviews and/or comments would be appreciated.

I have a question regarding the number of ring top screws…This unit only has a total of two ring top screws on the front and back ring tops.  Most other units that I have seen have four of more.  Does anyone know of any issues with this?

Where is a good place to buy this mount?

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/mounting-systems/integral-mounting-systems/mark-2-ims-30mm-integral-mounting-system/

Thanks,
Medic-0372
View Quote

It's not really about the number of screws. Your barrel is held by one threaded nut.  Your backup sights are held by one or two.  The lower part of the mount attaches to the rail by typically one crossbolt, perhaps two on just about every mount.  Just put a drop of blue LocTite on the threads.  Those screws will not move with LocTite on them.  This is not a .50 BMG you are putting it on.  Recoil is virtually nonexistent.  I'd much rather have a beefy ring like this than more screws on something thinner.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I would rather have the SSALT mount on sale for $30 for black Friday.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the input so far!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]
i really liked the leupold mount and it has been solid so far on my VX-3 6.5-20x50 30mm. i cleaned all the screw holes with brake clean and blue loctited them in. i don't remove the scopes on my varmint rigs anyway so why not.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would rather have the SSALT mount on sale for $30 for black Friday.

http://swfa.com/blackfriday2014/

View Quote

I'm looking at how hollowed out that mount is between the rail and the actual rings.  There is nothing but thin vertical rails between the base and the rings at four attachment points.  I guess they are trying to save weight (and cost), but darn, that looks like it would not take much of a thunk to do some damage.  Compare that to to the completely solid structure of the Mark 2, with what certainly appears to be a solid bridge between the rings and extending down to the rail.  I'm not advocating one over the other, as I don't have the SA mount and really don't know how sturdy it is. Maybe that is enough.  But its design and the removed metal worries me, just looking at the image.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not an issue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the IMS mount on my SPR, holding the 10x super sniper and I love it.  Vey solid, no issues whatsoever holding zero, and nice and light.

Don't let the haters away you,  that mount is GTG and KISS.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I ordered the Leupold Mark 2 IMS from Webyshops . com on Tues and it was sitting in my mailbox on Sat.  

The mount looks great and I have it mounted and it does what I want.  Great Mount.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top