Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 6:39:05 PM EDT
How many of you currently run a scope with a red dot mounted offset or on top? Interested in putting a setup like this on my BCM. Wondering how practical it is versus only using one of them as i like the idea of being able to look down a scope and get magnification or rotate the gun some degrees and use a red dot on a offset mount on my kmr rail on shorter range targets. Please post pictures if you have any!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, acknowledging that a scope will always be better for precision at any distance, given the time. I use a dot for close range snap shooting in a dynamic mode, where hits are more important than accuracy and you want situational awareness, ie both eyes open..

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What of using a red dot, with a LER scope in front w/ a tip-off mount?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What of using a red dot, with a LER scope in front w/ a tip-off mount?
View Quote

Not quite sure LER scope in front w/ a tip of mount is....im still pretty new to all of this, care to explain? Icarus left a good example of what i was looking for. Scope with magnification for longer precision shots and a red dot in the offset for quick target acquisition.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not quite sure LER scope in front w/ a tip of mount is....im still pretty new to all of this, care to explain? Icarus left a good example of what i was looking for. Scope with magnification for longer precision shots and a red dot in the offset for quick target acquisition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  What of using a red dot, with a LER scope in front w/ a tip-off mount?

I'm speaking of combing two very different optics in a setup I've never seen before.

It's fairly common to see a red dot on ARs, complimented w/ a tip-off magnifier behind, giving anything from 2-5X magnification, with the most common being a fixed 3X.  Flip it on, you have a 3X red dot scope.  Flip it off, now you're running your standard red dot @ 1X.

Another common optic on some newer bolt action setups is the "Scout scope", a Long Eye Relief (LER) scope placed forward of the action.  These are common on "Scout rifles" and also a handy way to scope mil-surps w/out drilling & tapping the C&R eligible action.

I'm wondering if the two can be combined - a red dot or holographic sight for close shots, and a LER Scout scope on tip-off mounts, that is only flipped up for longer shots.  When using the scope, the red dot could be turned off, leaving only bare glass to look through to the LER Scout scope.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I really liked this set up. NF 2.5-10x24 with PA micro in a DD offset mount. but Once I tried the CQBSS I sold this combo

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top