Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2014 2:34:52 PM EDT
Hi. I purchased a Trijicon acog 4x32 with BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept). The scope is excellent. Very accurate. Its built like a tank. Well worth the money. The question I have is how does the Bindon Aiming Concept work. Ive seen the video put out by Trijicon but it does not explain how you use the BAC function. When I look thru the scope my Right eye sees the red reticle. The left eye sees part of the scope. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi. I purchased a Trijicon acog 4x32 with BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept). The scope is excellent. Very accurate. Its built like a tank. Well worth the money. The question I have is how does the Bindon Aiming Concept work. Ive seen the video put out by Trijicon but it does not explain how you use the BAC function. When I look thru the scope my Right eye sees the red reticle. The left eye sees part of the scope. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

View Quote

{assuming as you state, a right-eye dominant view thru the scope}
both eyes open- look in the distance. the basic explanation is your left eye takes in the full view, the right eye superimposes the reticle it sees onto the full view the left eye has. As long as you are scanning the "larger picture" the brain should default to the left eye's view, once you settle in on a target, the magnified view from the right eye comes into focus. I would suggest you use your unloaded (and verified unloaded) rifle to practice clearing your home. you'll see as you move around scanning the room that your right eye seeing the reticle shows you where rounds would land if you fired. Your left eye's view of the entire room will be the predominant thing your brain processes because the background view from the right eye thru the magnified scope is changing at a much faster pace than what your left eye sees.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

both eyes open- look in the distance. the basic explanation is your left eye takes in the full view, the right eye superimposes the reticle it sees onto the full view the left eye has. As long as you are scanning the "larger picture" the brain should default to the left eye's view, once you settle in on a target, the magnified view from the right eye comes into focus. I would suggest you use your unloaded (and verified unloaded) rifle to practice clearing your home. you'll see as you move around scanning the room that your right eye seeing the reticle shows you where rounds would land if you fired. Your left eye's view of the entire room will be the predominant thing your brain processes because the background view from the right eye thru the magnified scope is changing at a much faster pace than what your left eye sees.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect this requires some practice to fully master...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little, but not as much as you think it would. It's rather a natural thing in my experience. Others I've let use/demo to see how it works are pretty quick to pick up on it. I guess I'd describe it as akin to one of those 3D images you have to stare "through" to see the 3D image, but not quite as difficult to find. I've had one on my patrol rifle for ~8 or so years now so you could say I'm used to it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
so I'm assuming my ACOG is not just for distance but also for close quarters using the BAC system?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep. It  functions as a RDS at CQC distances. You should not be disappointed once you get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank You all very much!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
to practice this technique, cover the front of the optic with electrical tape and practice outdoors at the range so that the fibre optic can pick up all available light. This will essentially turn your sight into an OEG style such as those produced by Armson (great sights by the way).

After you get the hang of it, take off the tape and continue to use it as you would. Both eyes open for close and one eye closed for far.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, find a way to temporarily cover the ACOG front lens for practice.  It is easier to learn if you have the reticle standing out against a black background.

Also note that the superimposing of the reticle on what you see with your left eye is transitory -- short lasting..  If you keep looking, the reticle and the target tend to separate.   This works best when you raise the rifle and instinctively aim quickly with both eyes open, focusing on the target with your left eye.  The reticle will appear in the middle of it.   If you start "thinking" about, it the images will start to separate.

I shoot a 3-9x40mm Leupold VX-R Patrol with Firedot reticle this way -- applying BAC (or in my case, "occluded eye" with the front lens cap closed.   I am close to being able to do it reliably with cap up, but still need some more practice.

For me this is best at distances inside of 25 yards and point of impact is within about 3 to 4 inches of point of aim.  Beyond 25 yards, you want to use the scope magnification anyway.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I did some range time doing this and I get about 4in. off at 25yds.  I would think each person would have a slightly better or worse outcome.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
As above, just takes a little practice and you'll have no problem with it, I love the BAC.

Just remember, at CQB distances you have to aim just a bit high to account for the offset of your sight plane. I usually use the bottom of my chevron close in.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
How does the BAC work with 4x optics? I thought the technique could only be used up to 1.5x.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How does the BAC work with 4x optics? I thought the technique could only be used up to 1.5x.
View Quote

it's opposite of what you're thinking. At 1.5 and below, it's nearly the same as just any regular red-dot. you're looking thru the scope at both reticle and target. the BAC is a method to use one eye (looking thru scope) to pick up the reticle, the other eye looking at an overall non-magnified view of the target.. the BAC is basically the brain superimposing the reticle seen by one eye onto the target seen by the other eye. It sounds weird but it works incredibly well.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Using BAC , my point of impact is about 5 inches to the left of center.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know the difference between regular acog scopes and the bac versions?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#16]
You are not going to be making precision shots in an instance where a person would need to use the bindon aiming concept , you will be looking center mass and letting the lead fly being off a couple of inches either way isnt going to matter much unless your shooting at something 6 inches wide . Unless you live in castle grey skull most encounters in a home requiring self defense are going to be less than 25 ft and in most cases 10 feet or less . I like my ta31f very much . its not the best optic for kicking doors but it will work for my needs very well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#17]
as others have stated, you need to work with the BAC, and with both eyes open... I'm sure it helps if your dominant eye is your strong side eye... it works best on moving targets, or when you are transitioning to targets, and the sight is moving.. the illuminated image is on the focal plane at 1x and when the relative motion stops, your brain makes the decision which view to use... when I covered the objective lens to make it into an occluded eye scope like a Armson I notice objectionable parallax as the distances get past 25m... for close shots without a lot of practice I tended to wait for a "perfect" sight picture, while the sight is actually on target... for 3 gun, I added a set of roll over sights as I haven't worked with my TA 31F as much as I have the TA01

for close in targets, if you pull your head back to push the scope slightly out of the eye box, where there is a ghosting around the lens, you should observe the illuminated reticle on the focal plane at 1x... then it will act like a dot scope
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
as others have stated, you need to work with the BAC, and with both eyes open... I'm sure it helps if your dominant eye is your strong side eye... it works best on moving targets, or when you are transitioning to targets, and the sight is moving.. the illuminated image is on the focal plane at 1x and when the relative motion stops, your brain makes the decision which view to use... when I covered the objective lens to make it into an occluded eye scope like a Armson I notice objectionable parallax as the distances get past 25m... for close shots without a lot of practice I tended to wait for a "perfect" sight picture, while the sight is actually on target... for 3 gun, I added a set of roll over sights as I haven't worked with my TA 31F as much as I have the TA01

for close in targets, if you pull your head back to push the scope slightly out of the eye box, where there is a ghosting around the lens, you should observe the illuminated reticle on the focal plane at 1x... then it will act like a dot scope
View Quote

The last sentence above is very important in my experience.   By pulling your head back away from the eyepiece, the optic operates just like a red dot.  Shoot quickly before the images start to separate.  With a little practice you will find it eerily effective.  For most of us who are right handed and right hand dominant the shots will go a little left.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Entirely different subject
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The last sentence above is very important in my experience.   By pulling your head back away from the eyepiece, the optic operates just like a red dot.  Shoot quickly before the images start to separate.  With a little practice you will find it eerily effective.  For most of us who are right handed and right hand dominant the shots will go a little left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes that makes sense... i would guess that offset is probably about the distance between your pupils
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#21]
How would the BAC work in their  5-20x50 optic. I like the idea of  the BAC but dont know if it would be a good option for that magnification.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm right handed and shoot with my right eye but am left eye dominant. Made BAC hard to learn for me.

Great scope though
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top