Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2014 12:36:30 PM EDT
My tired old eyes have finally gotten to the point where I'm rethinking my "iron sights only" philosophy.

I'm getting a Meprolight RDS for my flattop, but also need something for my A2.
Any suggestions for something that is either no or low magnification.
How about mounts? My budget is up to $700 the A2.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I mentioned this in another thread - right now I am trying out a Primary Arms 2.5x prism scope on my A2 carbine and so far I am very pleased with it.  It will attach right to the carry handle with a thumb screw and the scope base has a trough through it so you can still use your irons as well.  They also make a 4x that is slightly larger in size.

Burris makes a similar ones - the AR-332 and the AR-536 - but I prefer the reticles on the Primary Arms scopes.  there are also a few models of ACOGs that can be monted to a carry handle, but new ACOGs are usually priced a bit more than what you want to budget.

Some people complain about the height of an optic mounted to a carry handle, but I don't find it to be a hinderance at all.  I have some slight neck problems so I actually  kind of like it since it forces you to keep your head a bit more upright, which I find to be more comfortable.

The only thing I do not like about the Primary Arms scope is the thumb screw they sell for it.  Thankfully, the Trijicon screws for the ACOG are the same thread as for the Primary Arms, so that is what I used for mine.  The screws are about 4 times more expensive than the PA thumbscrew but I like it 10 times more!

Here is a crappy pic of the PA 2.5x mounted on my A2 carbine:

000_0185 by john.nikon, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Used or dealer sample Mini ACOG, 1.5X or 2X.

Outstanding optics that really shine in a carry handle mount.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using the pa compact 4x and I love it. As said above, get a trijicon screw it's much nicer than a thumb screw.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mentioned this in another thread - right now I am trying out a Primary Arms 2.5x prism scope on my A2 carbine and so far I am very pleased with it.  It will attach right to the carry handle with a thumb screw and the scope base has a trough through it so you can still use your irons as well.  They also make a 4x that is slightly larger in size.

Burris makes a similar ones - the AR-332 and the AR-536 - but I prefer the reticles on the Primary Arms scopes.  there are also a few models of ACOGs that can be monted to a carry handle, but new ACOGs are usually priced a bit more than what you want to budget.

Some people complain about the height of an optic mounted to a carry handle, but I don't find it to be a hinderance at all.  I have some slight neck problems so I actually  kind of like it since it forces you to keep your head a bit more upright, which I find to be more comfortable.

The only thing I do not like about the Primary Arms scope is the thumb screw they sell for it.  Thankfully, the Trijicon screws for the ACOG are the same thread as for the Primary Arms, so that is what I used for mine.  The screws are about 4 times more expensive than the PA thumbscrew but I like it 10 times more!

Here is a crappy pic of the PA 2.5x mounted on my A2 carbine:

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/p7Af5D" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5608/15170785813_862fdc010f_c.jpg</a>000_0185 by john.nikon, on Flickr
View Quote

Bear with me please 'cause I'm old and slow. How does the screw attach to the mount so that you can still use the irons? I'm sure it makes perfect sense, but I'm having a difficult time visualizing it.

TIA

ETA: Never mind. Just went and looked at the Trijicon screw and it is very clear to me now!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys with the PA's.  Are they nice and tight in your carry handle?  Or did you have to shim at all?  How is the eye relief?  Does it allow you to be in a comfortable position or do you need to be further away or closer than you want to be?  

I would love a compact ACOG for mine too, but I'm not sure I'll ever spend that kind of money on it.  Seems like the perfect solution though.  

You could get an ARMS mount and then put a RDS on top of it too.  I was thinking about what that might be like.  

I'm in the same boat as you OP.  My eyes are starting to not be so good, and I might eventually opt for putting an optic on my 20" A2.  I have scoped it with a traditional scope, but it just makes for a gangly rifle.  IMHO, the A2 20" is perfect with nothing on it.  And the irons are great.  But I also don't have a problem with carry handle mounted optics as my neck is kind of long.  And I think the upright position is good too.  IT's just that it's sooooo right the way it is without any optics.  

My A2" came with a knock off Colt carry handle scope.  But it's loose in the mount, but not in all carry handles I've had it in.  And the eye relief is short and kind of annoying.  I always wonder if the compact ACOGS are  like that where you have to put your head close to it in order to see through it?   Plus the FOV is pretty small on that thing.  

And then I find the opposite to be true with the traditional scopes I've mounted.  Even if I have them as far forward as I want, the eye relief could be a bit further forward for me.  But I've shot some respectable groups with carry handled optics.   And will work just fine.  

And then I have a recce with a scope in a LaRue mount but I would rather just shoot irons all the time and keep an AR as simple an light as possible.  But that is an accurate set up.  

Would like to know what you end up with and how you like it.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a couple of colt 3 power scopes and a couple CMO(made by hakko. scopes I use on carry handles.  

I prefer the CMO.

Not claiming they are the best, but I'm happy with them.

Blast from the past.
http://www.ar15.com/content/products/sights/cmo/
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You guys with the PA's.  Are they nice and tight in your carry handle?  Or did you have to shim at all?  How is the eye relief?  Does it allow you to be in a comfortable position or do you need to be further away or closer than you want to be?  

With the Trijicon screw it is very tight - no shimming necessary.  The eye relief is on the shorter side - I think the 2.5x has a little more than the 4x, but you have to be kind of close the the receiver to get a full field of view, but that is how I shoot anyway, so it works fine for me.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two A2s with TA-01s ACOGs mounted on the carry handles.  The TA-01s were made for that purpose and works out very well.  The BDC is right on for distance shooting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, agree 100%. I love the compact 2X ACOG on a carry handle.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/ar15/556_20_ta47_800px.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You gonna post a range report of that beautiful rifle anytime soon?  I keep seeing you post and and saying how much you like it.  And I'm totally jelly.    And if you do, make sure you post it in AR discussion so you can have everyone tell you how you NEED a flat top for proper cheek weld, even though your shooting will most likely say different.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You gonna post a range report of that beautiful rifle anytime soon?  I keep seeing you post and and saying how much you like it.  And I'm totally jelly.    And if you do, make sure you post it in AR discussion so you can have everyone tell you how you NEED a flat top for proper cheek weld, even though your shooting will most likely say different.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... I'll shoot some dot drills and post a photo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe an Aimpoint on a gooseneck mount

This is a Vortex Sparc
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the responses, I'm leaning towards the PA.
That Compact ACOG does look nice...but out of my price range.

It does look nice.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
While my upper isn't an A2, it's a C7/A1E1, I was sorta in the same boat.

I knew I wanted a red dot, but I wasn't sure I wanted to put a fullsized Aimpoint on a carry handle mount, because that's way, way up there.

So what I think I've settled myself on is a Primary Arms micro dot on what will most likely be a KZ Micro carry handle mount.

ZoToL posted a picture of this setup in the Modern A1 picture thread, and I really like it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up the kz aimpoint carry handle mount from botach. Seems to be the lowest profile mount available for a carry handle upper to add on a t1. I'm going to put a primary arms micro red dot on my a1, but the 2.5 prism scope was second choice.

Money no object a acog ta44 1.5x would be on it instead.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just picked up the kz aimpoint carry handle mount from botach. Seems to be the lowest profile mount available for a carry handle upper to add on a t1. I'm going to put a primary arms micro red dot on my a1, but the 2.5 prism scope was second choice.

View Quote

Did you get it yet, or have they not shipped it?

I'm kind of curious as to how long it'll take to get one. Their website wasn't exactly clear on how many they had in stock.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm kind of curious as to how long it'll take to get one. Their website wasn't exactly clear on how many they had in stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered yesterday and shipped today. I chose free 3-10 day shipping so not sure how long it will take.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ordered yesterday and shipped today. I chose free 3-10 day shipping so not sure how long it will take.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, right on. I'll order mine in the AM then.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I searched botach for this mount but can't find it. I looked at aimpoint, and tried to find KZ, no luck, can you please post a link to it? Thanks!

NVm, I found it under the kley-zion brand. Wouldn't work for the scope I have.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I searched botach for this mount but can't find it. I looked at aimpoint, and tried to find KZ, no luck, can you please post a link to it? Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one of the KZ Aimpoint Micro mounts but worry that there is no recoil lug. I'm not sure how a Micro would fare over the long term held on by just the four tiny screws...
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I looked into all sorts of options. Goosenecks cost about the same as a new flattop reciever, anyhing I mounted up there screwed my cheek weld.  Mounting a red dot on a KAC M4 RAS fore end was even an option.  Ended up with an Acog, which worked, then I ended up selling that rifle and getting a flattop bcm a4. Hence my current profile picture. Awesome setup

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
While my upper isn't an A2, it's a C7/A1E1, I was sorta in the same boat.

I knew I wanted a red dot, but I wasn't sure I wanted to put a fullsized Aimpoint on a carry handle mount, because that's way, way up there.

So what I think I've settled myself on is a Primary Arms micro dot on what will most likely be a KZ Micro carry handle mount.

ZoToL posted a picture of this setup in the Modern A1 picture thread, and I really like it.
View Quote

Yeah, I bet that is a good height there.  Nice.  You answered my question I had going in my head.  Thank you.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got the kz mount in the mail. Faster than I thought.

Fits tight in the carry handle, tight enough to scratch the finish on the mount. I had to use force to pull the mount out which I like, should be nice and solid to mount the red dot from primary arms. The thumb screw seems decent as well, but no lock nut or washer is used. Hopefully stays tight. Might need some lock right on the threads to keep it right, won't know till I shoot it. Still waiting on the red dot to arrive. But it's extremely low profile and should be able to keep a decent cheek weld and transition back to irons quickly. The hole through the mount is big enough to not reduce the effectiveness of your irons too.

Pics - sorry for the lack of skills
Weight - 31grams

Trying to look down the sights

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I looked into all sorts of options. Goosenecks cost about the same as a new flattop reciever, anyhing I mounted up there screwed my cheek weld.  Mounting a red dot on a KAC M4 RAS fore end was even an option.  Ended up with an Acog, which worked, then I ended up selling that rifle and getting a flattop bcm a4. Hence my current profile picture. Awesome setup

View Quote

Link to 12 dollar flat top uppers?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-M2-A1-A2-Carry-Handle-Picatinny-Rail-Gooseneck-CCO-Aimpoint-or-Eotech-/131189742146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8b849a42
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Fits tight in the carry handle, tight enough to scratch the finish on the mount. I had to use force to pull the mount out which I like, should be nice and solid to mount the red dot from primary arms. The thumb screw seems decent as well, but no lock nut or washer is used. Hopefully stays tight. Might need some lock right on the threads to keep it right, won't know till I shoot it. Still waiting on the red dot to arrive. But it's extremely low profile and should be able to keep a decent cheek weld and transition back to irons quickly. The hole through the mount is big enough to not reduce the effectiveness of your irons too.

Weight - 31grams
http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21312193/410431563.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21312193/410431562.jpg
http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21312193/410431576.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21312193/410431577.jpg
View Quote

Nice and great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I have to order one for my Bushwhacker.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I'm supposed to get both my mount, MRDS, and the 20-round PMag all on Monday, so probably Tuesday I'll be out on the range to get everything zeroed up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I feel your pain my friend and share that symptom.  Here is my A2 upper solution and I hope it is helpful for someone.

Aimpoint gooseneck surplus mount can be had for as little as $12 on eBay, I paid $20 for this a fair few years ago.  It just clears my fatty M4 handguards.
Bushnell TRS-25 was recently on Black Friday somewhere for $57, I paid $85 a couple years ago on sale.
I spent some more money on a several different risers, but was unable to attain lower 1/3 so I've settled for a very comfortable and very fast absolute co-witness.  That sight is currently on brightness setting 2 and yes that is the 0-2 (large) aperture normally used for short range.

I could apologize for the cheap flashlight mount or the size of these pics, but I am sadly, without remorse

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Weight - 31grams
http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21312193/410431563.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21312193/410431562.jpg
http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21312193/410431576.jpg

http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/21312193/410431577.jpg
View Quote

The hole to sight your irons through looks very generous.  Nice.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I use a Burris 1-5x24 XTR II with Ballistic Mil CQ reticle in a ARMS #2 carry handle mount with ARMS #21 scope rings on my Colt AR15A2.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]
This is an awesome setup. The "War Pig" cause it's so heavy with the HBAR barrel and suppressor/RediMag.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#34]

That looks pretty bad ass, but damn $400!? I'd rather buy a hole new flattop upper and RBUIS a for that money and still have a ton left over.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Well I have my pa micro dot. Works great so far on my beater pistol. The mount held up nice and tight after getting sighted in and thrown about 20ft. Sight still works great too

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the Trijicon screw it is very tight - no shimming necessary.  The eye relief is on the shorter side - I think the 2.5x has a little more than the 4x, but you have to be kind of close the the receiver to get a full field of view, but that is how I shoot anyway, so it works fine for me.

Mines on a colt upper and it's a very snug fit with zero shimming of any kind. It has about 3.5 inches of eye relief and sits about 1 inch over the iron sight (center of peep to center of tube), with a fixed stock I find it just about perfect (cheek weld altered ever so slightly). The trijicon screw is highly recomended over a plain thumb screw though, the thumb screw works but its a pain in the ass and they don't seat very nicely to the bottom of the handle. I'm satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:39:59 AM EDT
[#37]
True, but it's a blast to shoot and everyone loves it.
What's more vintage than an ARMS A2 SIR.
And with the weight and suppressor recoil is nothing and it shoots like a laser..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top