Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2014 10:05:33 PM EDT
So, I've decided to upgrade my small Bushnell dot I have on my 16" ar15 for a mepro trudot rds or an aimpoint. I've been impressed with the ap, but I like the "window" of the mepro sight. No retailer had a demo mepro for me to handle so I feel like I'm in the dark as far as to getting an adequate idea of it's dimensions and features. I would think of it similar to an eotech. I've thrown eotech out due to various failures I've read about and other issues with the company....

Anyone have any experience with the mepro?

If so, what do you like, don't like and has anyone had to chance to use it with a magnifier?

Thanks for your responses in advance!

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm at 1400 rounds with my mepro now. Zeroed in 3 shots, its held it's zero the entire time as well. I had a PRO before the mepro, sold it to a good friend down the street to try out the mepro, I don't miss the aimpoint. Feel free to ask me anything specific.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]
How durable do you think it is vs other optics in the same class? Either through experience dropping it or the magical "feel" of the optic some people refer to. Also, good place to buy?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How durable do you think it is vs other optics in the same class? Either through experience dropping it or the magical "feel" of the optic some people refer to. Also, good place to buy?
View Quote

It's my understanding that the Mepro has passed all IDF tests like its M5 military version, but only time will tell if there are any hidden flaws. I do like that the lens is a single solid prism and not one or more thin pieces. I have personal experience w/4 of the Mepros w/appx 2K rds total and so far couldn't be more pleased w/the optic. In light of the features it offers for $379, IMHO it has little competition at that pricepoint:
http://www.7-62precision.com/mepro-tru-dot-rds-red-dot-sight-with-1-8-moa-red-dot/
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's my understanding that the Mepro has passed all IDF tests like its M5 military version, but only time will tell if there are any hidden flaws. I do like that the lens is a single solid prism and not one or more thin pieces. I have personal experience w/4 of the Mepros w/appx 2K rds total and so far couldn't be more pleased w/the optic. In light of the features it offers for $379, IMHO it has little competition at that pricepoint:
http://www.7-62precision.com/mepro-tru-dot-rds-red-dot-sight-with-1-8-moa-red-dot/
Tomac
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

From everything I have heard so far, PRO or MPRDS you won't go wrong for under $400.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

From everything I have heard so far, PRO or MPRDS you won't go wrong for under $400.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Thank you for the information and opinions!

But say the unexpected happens (like always) and I need to contact mepro about it... or mako... how is their service and how firm do they stand behind their product?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Mako is a site sponsor here and I am sure they will take care of you.

Just my two cents, this is a risk you take with any product you buy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mako is a site sponsor here and I am sure they will take care of you.

Just my two cents, this is a risk you take with any product you buy.
View Quote

That is true.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dropped mine at my parent's house and chipped their brazilian koa hardwood floors. They were not happy, i just have a little scratch on the hood, didn't affect anything.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I dropped mine at my parent's house and chipped their brazilian koa hardwood floors. They were not happy, i just have a little scratch on the hood, didn't affect anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the post. And floors get walked on.... and such....
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#10]
If it were me, deciding factor would be co-witness. Mepro is 1/3 only, versus the PRO which can do absolute. If 1/3 is what you want, I personally think the Mepro is the better value.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
my aimpoint pro and eotech xps2 are not going anywhere I like them both , but I like variety and may consider the mepro for a project I have on hold right now . I have some reading to do.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:07:11 AM EDT
[#12]
To those that have experience with the Mepro, are there any issues with the limited brightness settings? I have an PRO currently and find the brightness settings allow me to get the brightness just where I want it depending on the situation. I had a SPARC in the past that I wasn't too pleased with the settings, I found it to be either too bright or too dim. I see that the Mepro only has 4 brightness settings and I believe at least one of them is for NV which leaves 3 or less settings for normal use. Is the lack of settings a negative for you?

I am very interested in this sight, it seems like a good product for a good price...
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 3:44:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an Aimpoint PRO and I really like it a lot, but if I were currently in the market, I would be looking hard at the Mepro.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:39:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have an Aimpoint PRO and I really like it a lot, but if I were currently in the market, I would be looking hard at the Mepro.
View Quote

Depending on how much the Aimpoint PRO was going for, $350 and down is pretty unbeatable bang4thebuck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Is the tru-dot rds on your website yet? Did we ever figure out is if was waterproof to any specific depth?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To those that have experience with the Mepro, are there any issues with the limited brightness settings? I have an PRO currently and find the brightness settings allow me to get the brightness just where I want it depending on the situation. I had a SPARC in the past that I wasn't too pleased with the settings, I found it to be either too bright or too dim. I see that the Mepro only has 4 brightness settings and I believe at least one of them is for NV which leaves 3 or less settings for normal use. Is the lack of settings a negative for you?

I am very interested in this sight, it seems like a good product for a good price...
View Quote

For me, I run the brightness on the lowest visible setting 90% of the time. I've had my mepro since early october so I haven't had it outside on a super bright sunny day yet, but with snow on the ground and sun in the sky, the second brightest setting or the brightest works for me perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Does the one year warranty mepro offers (from what I've read, not 100%) bring up any concerns? I would've thought it would be longer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Does the one year warranty mepro offers (from what I've read, not 100%) bring up any concerns? I would've thought it would be longer.
View Quote

Assuming quality is comparable between the MRDS and the PRO is around equal,  The superior warranty of the the PRO along with the more brightness control and proven track record and the ability to adjust height for 100% co-witness is what made my decision for me. The MRDS seems like a good optic at a good price, it just doesnt do anything better than my PRO on an AR or an AK and it doesnt save me any money.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Assuming quality is comparable between the MRDS and the PRO is around equal,  The superior warranty of the the PRO along with the more brightness control and proven track record and the ability to adjust height for 100% co-witness is what made my decision for me. The MRDS seems like a good optic at a good price, it just doesnt do anything better than my PRO on an AR or an AK and it doesnt save me any money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sold my Pro and bout the mrds mainly for the larger FOV. The difference in cost was twenty bucks. I think co-witness is a cluttered mess, I've always had a lower third setup if necessary.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I sold my Pro and bout the mrds mainly for the larger FOV. The difference in cost was twenty bucks. I think co-witness is a cluttered mess, I've always had a lower third setup if necessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have fold down BUIS so even though they co-witness 100% they are out of the way. If I ever get a Tavor, the MRDS looks like it would be a good fit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm debating hard between ordering the mepro or a pro this coming Friday. I already have an aimpoint ml3, which has been great but variety is the spice of life, right?
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is a concern of mine and is why I'm holding off on buying one until they have been run through their paces for a while.  I believe the Aimpoint warranty is 10 years unless the optic is used for military/LE use.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It is a concern of mine and is why I'm holding off on buying one until they have been run through their paces for a while.  I believe the Aimpoint warranty is 10 years unless the optic is used for military/LE use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got 1400 rounds through mine and I've already dropped my rifle(w/sight mounted) on the sight with no ill effects. Granted I've only had it two months, but it's a good start.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I like my mepro, the dot is crisp and clear.  No problems yet, but then again it's a closet queen.  

For me, it had all Pro's and little Cons.
1.  Large Window, very easy to do both eyes open.
2.  Built in QD mount, no paying extra for that.
3.  No bluish tinge to the glass, bothers the crap out of me.  
4.  Long battery life.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm debating hard between ordering the mepro or a pro this coming Friday. I already have an aimpoint ml3, which has been great but variety is the spice of life, right?
View Quote

I'm seriously thinking of getting both.... just as an excuse for another build.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:10:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:11:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like my mepro, the dot is crisp and clear.  No problems yet, but then again it's a closet queen.  

4.  Long battery life.
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've got 1400 rounds through mine and I've already dropped my rifle(w/sight mounted) on the sight with no ill effects. Granted I've only had it two months, but it's a good start.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds promising.  One concern of mine is the auto shut off/motion activated feature.  I would prefer the dot simply stay on all the time like an Aimpoint, especially given the extremely long battery life.  It makes no sense to me to have the auto shut off feature.  Just something else to tear up IMO.  Time will tell how well they hold up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sounds promising.  One concern of mine is the auto shut off/motion activated feature.  I would prefer the dot simply stay on all the time like an Aimpoint, especially given the extremely long battery life.  It makes no sense to me to have the auto shut off feature.  Just something else to tear up IMO.  Time will tell how well they hold up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mems accelerometer ic's are extremely reliable, I haven't heard of any dying yet in the millions of smart phones out there.  Its typically used to rotate your screen when you turn your phone.  Smart phones are beaten up more than optics.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4.  Long battery life.

Thanks for the feedback!

Also I forgot the other plus was that it takes AA batteries.  That sealed the deal for me.  You have to buy the higher spec aimpoint M4 to get that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually really like that feature. I never turn it off, it lives in it's case and as soon as I pick it up it's ready to rock.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I have already decided I'm buying this or a pro next Friday. Whichever has the best Black Friday deal wins.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have already decided I'm buying this or a pro next Friday. Whichever has the best Black Friday deal wins.
View Quote

I've heard from the mako group that they were going to have a sale on the mepro, but I haven't seen the proof yet. So check with them. For the PRO, check the usual suspects. PSA, primary Arms, DSG, etc
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm really hoping the mepro goes on sale because I want to try it, and if I get a good deal on it and it flops it won't sting as badly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm really hoping the mepro goes on sale because I want to try it, and if I get a good deal on it and it flops it won't sting as badly.
View Quote

Got an email from Mako Group saying 30% off during the Black Friday weekend, should be good at their IDF Holsters sister site. If true that's only $280 for a new RDS.
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Got an email from Mako Group saying 30% off during the Black Friday weekend, should be good at their IDF Holsters sister site. If true that's only $280 for a new RDS.
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

I saw you mention that somewhere and already have the correct pages bookmarked. For $280 it would be a no brainer IMO, although that new 1-4 swfa scope looks promising for $300 also.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I saw you mention that somewhere and already have the correct pages bookmarked. For $280 it would be a no brainer IMO, although that new 1-4 swfa scope looks promising for $300 also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Honestly, I might get the swfa instead of the viper for that price.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

For $280, I'm willing to give it a try.  Any more than that and an Aimpoint Pro on sale at $350 seems better.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For $280, I'm willing to give it a try.  Any more than that and an Aimpoint Pro on sale at $350 seems better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

If I dislike the mepro I'll just sell it on the EE for what I have in it. Just like I did after I bought an aimpoint r1 from midway.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If I dislike the mepro I'll just sell it on the EE for what I have in it. Just like I did after I bought an aimpoint r1 from midway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

I'll probably bite on a deal for a scope instead of a mepro... pm me if it doesn't work out... I may be interested.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#42]
$280 for the Mepro is a no-brainer, if that happens.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top