Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 9:28:18 AM EDT
Does anyone know why? Here's my reasoning:

It seems (just from pictures) that US troops are equipped with the ACOG or a reflex red dot of some kind. For the latter, you obviously don't need BUIS at all for close in stuff, but for someone running an ACOG with a minimum of 4x, how do you use that in close quarters or urban settings? Same with a 1-4x power scope like I see here on RECCE builds...how's that supposed to work close in and fast, even at 1x power?

So I guess I have two questions..

1. How in the world do they use a 4x scope in urban combat...I guess they're really well trained?

2. Why have 45° irons not seen wider use outside of competition or civilian use? Do they stick out too much and get stuck on gear?

Just some food for discussion. Forgive me if this has been addressed before...I find this site/forum uniquely hard to navigate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of guys I knew had no BUIS to be honest.
Have you ever shot with an ACOG?  Where did you serve?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not ambidextrous, and optics are pretty damn reliable.

ACOGs are also used with a BAC technique for inside 50 yards so you pretty much put the color of the reticle on the target and pull the trigger or at least that's what I have read.

Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of guys I knew had not BUIS to be honest.
Have you ever shot with an ACOG?  Where did you serve?
View Quote

Oops..

I haven't served...sorry for the confusion. I've edited the post to make it clearer.

(And to those who have...many thanks!)
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never shot at close quarters wi an ACOG, but I hear it's not that hard to use up close. My guess would be not worth the money for the limited utility of,the sights.  Probably more needed on a rifle with a higher mag scope, like the M14 setup in an EBR chassis. But even there, it's not going to be used that often.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#5]
put a man sized target in front of you at 25yds, remove all optics/sights from your rifle, pull trigger. bet you still pepper it.

ETA: as someone who was both combat arms (19k) and signal (31s) I can't imagine the headache of teaching non combat MOS s how to zero and use offset sights. lots of folks in the military have little interest in firearms outside of qualification days.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
put a man sized target in front of you at 25yds, remove all optics/sights from your rifle, pull trigger. bet you still pepper it.

ETA: as someone who was both combat arms (19k) and signal (31s) I can't imagine the headache of teaching non combat MOS s how to zero and use offset sights. lots of folks in the military have little interest in firearms outside of qualification days.
View Quote

Funny you mention that.
Last week end I was filming a job with a female actor who played a cop.

She was going one about having been a Marine in Desert Storm and how well she did with handgun.
I mentioned that I had a Beretta 92 Desert Storm commerative pistol.
She didn't know what it was...

Said she qualified with a "9 mil."
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Using whatever illuminated optic you have, cover up the objective lens. Leave the eyepiece open so you can see the lit reticle, but no picture as the front is covered. Now, keep both eyes open and aim at various object at short range. I bet you'd be surprised by how accurate you're able to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It seems (just from pictures) that US troops are equipped with the ACOG or a reflex red dot of some kind. For the latter, you obviously don't need BUIS at all for close in stuff, but for someone running an ACOG with a minimum of 4x, how do you use that in close quarters or urban settings? Same with a 1-4x power scope like I see here on RECCE builds...how's that supposed to work close in and fast, even at 1x power?

1. How in the world do they use a 4x scope in urban combat...I guess they're really well trained?

2. Why have 45° irons not seen wider use outside of competition or civilian use? Do they stick out too much and get stuck on gear?

Just some food for discussion. Forgive me if this has been addressed before...I find this site/forum uniquely hard to navigate.
View Quote

You can actually use the fiber optic and the channel it's in on the top of the RCO as a defacto sight for close in work.But the BAC is the order of the day for it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Good info above. The offset sights can be a snag just waiting to happen.One reason why you don't see them on rifles used for law enforcement.  As others have said, when clearing a room , home, building etc...... at close quarters there isn't much of a need for optics, point and shoot can do the job just fine. The idea that every soldier is a rifleman is long gone. My son is in the USAF as a Crew Chief on the BUFF's, in basic they had a one day class on how to field strip an AR, clean and reassemble. They made them do it blind folded at the end of the class, my son knew more about the AR than the instructor, and the instructor admitted it, lol!!!!!! The next day they had some range time, under 200 rnds at variable distances and that was it, and no handgun training at all. As a CC on the BUFF's the likely hood of him being in a combat situation isn't likely, he isn't even issued a rifle for his MOS. Not sure I agree with not training every soldier to be a rifleman, but it is what it is and my son has his own firearms and he is always taking classes, so I don't worry about him to much. I am sure a lot of it came down to cost. The all mighty dollar says why train a soldier to be decent with a rifle and side arm if his MOS would not be likely to put him in a combat roll?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]
CQB with a 4x isn't bad. All it takes is practice.

As far as offset iron-sights.....they add to much bulk for not much utility. ACOGs are about as reliable as they come, so guys that have buis on their ACOG equipped guns usually only have them because they came with it.

Guys that use Eotechs and Aimpoints tend to be the same way. Lot's of unit SOPs require buis on rifles. Keep in mind warfare is a team effort. If somehow your rifle sight gets destroyed (and by some miracle your rifle still fires)....you have your buddies to cover for you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Most of the guys I know, self included, don't:  EOTech or even an Aimpoint (Comp M4).  You are correct, there are a lot of ACOGs issued but most guys don't have any choice over what they run.

Yep, snag hazard and, for the average soldier, would require a whole new training program to implement and even then it's not a "natural" movement.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

1. How in the world do they use a 4x scope in urban combat...I guess they're really well trained? Training - USMC Combat Marksmanship table consists of shooting targets at close range, among other distances. Anything closer and your pretty much point blank

2. Why have 45° irons not seen wider use outside of competition or civilian use? Do they stick out too much and get stuck on gear? Not needed - see above. Also, ever try getting in a turret with a bunch of stuff on your weapon? I swear, shit gets tangles up in straps, including you. (Somewhat unrelated - Especially when your NVG Rhino mount gets tangled up in camo netting in the turret)

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Using whatever illuminated optic you have, cover up the objective lens. Leave the eyepiece open so you can see the lit reticle, but no picture as the front is covered. Now, keep both eyes open and aim at various object at short range. I bet you'd be surprised by how accurate you're able to shoot.
View Quote

This.  It is lightning fast.  I've been experimenting with this and a Leupold 3-9x40mm Patrol tactical scope with Firedot reticle.  I can close the front lens cap and just put the dot on a close range target, inside 25 yards with both eyes open and hit within 3-4" of point of aim every time.  Amazing discovery - "occluded eye" shooting.  ACOG's variation of it is called Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC) which does not involve closing the front cap.   So, I leave the cap down for normal use and only raise it when shooting beyond 25 yards.

This has changed my mind about the need for auxiliary offset sights either irons or red dot when running a scope of that type with illuminated reticle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Gee.. I did not know that the Army did not train Infantry solders to shoot with protective masks any more (or did you all just forget). The 45 degree off-set RTS type sight would be FAR MORE accurate with a mask or just staring over the top of your ACOG.

If you do have a problem with your ACOG you will need a back-up sight; RIGHT NOW. Or you would not have left the FOB with defective equipment.

The real reason is the traditionalist in the Army. That is just too new for them. It took them a few years but they did turn the M16 into a target rifle (M16 A2). See how well that worked out. Well also there is the $ thing and the current contractors making BUIS.

It would be good it the RTS unit would come with a left hand model rear sight for the 11% of left handers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Because their rifles have A2 front sights.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Because Trix are for Kids.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#18]
acogs are not difficult to use up close and neither are 1-4s. Most are designed now a days to not just be a mil mil duplex, but to be a reticle that can be used for multiple scenarios. In the Navy I used an eotech exps3 and when i realized my astigmatism made that impossible my unit supplied me with an acog. Once you are used to it, it isn't a big deal to shoot within 50 yards at that magnification, and most of us always believed anything that took out an acog, probably left us unable to fight anyways. For the 1-4 there are some really handy reticles out there. MY SWFA has a large outside ring that  should be about chest sized if running it in close quarters type issues. Get center mass in the circle and pull the trigger. Always remember that combat accuracy is much different that target shooting. You just want to hit center mass and make the threat stop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gee.. I did not know that the Army did not train Infantry solders to shoot with protective masks any more (or did you all just forget). The 45 degree off-set RTS type sight would be FAR MORE accurate with a mask or just staring over the top of your ACOG.

If you do have a problem with your ACOG you will need a back-up sight; RIGHT NOW. Or you would not have left the FOB with defective equipment.

The real reason is the traditionalist in the Army. That is just too new for them. It took them a few years but they did turn the M16 into a target rifle (M16 A2). See how well that worked out. Well also there is the $ thing and the current contractors making BUIS.

It would be good it the RTS unit would come with a left hand model rear sight for the 11% of left handers.
View Quote

If I have a problem with my ACOG it is because a round hit my optic, I was blown up, or I fell from the top of a building onto my optic. If I am still alive and kicking at that point I can just walk rounds onto target, grab another rifle, or start helping the 240 or 249 gunner as an AG.

The fact of the matter is optics have become so advanced that redundant systems are just that....redundant. More weight and cost for little added benefit. Soldiers conduct (or should) PMCS on all weapons systems and optics. Yes shit breaks. Does it mean you are combat ineffective? Absolutely not. The beauty of it is that a soldier could buy themselves some offset sights and slap them onto their rifle if they really wanted.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#20]
no use of the visible laser on the peq15?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm only marginally trained at best and run my 3x ACOG with no issues, even on 3 yard drills.  Its really not hard at all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
I used mine

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#23]
My guess would be that the BUIS would first add more weight, and second would be one more thing to break or get hooked on something. I have seen ACOGs beat to crap and still hold a zero, dropped, bounced off rocks etc... There just seems to be no need for BUIS. Shooting a close range with 4x is not bad, not ideal but doable. At anything closer than 25yds probably not a lot of aiming, and just more a of a point and shoot situation.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I used mine

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I used mine

Hell yeah. Mine was on a KAC ras so zeroing May seem questionable but it certainly worked.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]
It is not tier 1 approved and not cool.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top