Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2014 3:46:27 PM EDT
http://www.thebangswitch.com/first-look-hi-lux-micro-max-b-dot-rds/

Great write-up by MAC at the link.

I've been playing with one for a few months now and it is a fantastic little sight.
Super rugged, bright, easy to use and very well made.
Hi-Lux has impressed a lot of people with the quality of their latest generation of optical sights.
This one looks good. Introductory price will only be $199!
Battery life is over 5 years.....

At the Big 3 East Media event in Daytona Florida I had a chance to speak with
Bill Alexander from Alexander Arms. They have been doing independent endurance testing on the
Hi-Lux B-Dot scope mounted to one of their .338 Semi-Auto guns.

It's interesting to note their Cold/Heat testing exceeds US military testing
-85 degrees F to +180 degrees F
the B-Dot passed without issue.

Tim Yan has a short write up here
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/08/weekend-photo-frozen-scopes/

They were also running it on a belt fed machine gun at the event.
Zero problems. Well almost zero, they had a plastic flip cover break at -85 degrees F........

I have to say I REALLY like this red dot........
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks a lot like the RDS from Holosun.  I wonder if they're the OEM.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder how they estimated battery life and whether those estimates are reliable.  I'm sure they have not actually been testing one for 55,000 hours.   Pardon me if I am skeptical.  Sooner or later someone, probably in China will have back engineered how Aimpoint does it, and hopefully without a patent infringement.   I'm interested, but would want to see how these do in a real world environment.   The Holosun products have had some issues.

Frankly, I'd rather see more people use motion detection circuitry, like Leupold is using with its Firedot reticles in scopes and in the Delta Point mini-reflex rather than trying to stretch, exaggerate or replicate super long battery life.   But, I'm open to new products if they prove reliable and live up to their marketing.  This is a very tough market segment at that price point.   I'll reserve judgment until they are out for a while and hope for the best.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks exactly like the Holusun down to the buttons.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And the Primary Arms models as well.

I wonder how long it will be until Holosun just dumps their contracts and corners the market alone

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It's different from the Holosun that I remember in the battery is accessible without removing the sight from the mount...

The Primary Arms version also removed the auto-off timer.  I've been bugging them about this since they released their other ADS .
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's different from the Holosun that I remember in the battery is accessible without removing the sight from the mount...

The Primary Arms version also removed the auto-off timer.  I've been bugging them about this since they released their other ADS .
View Quote

When I contacted PA about the ADS they said it should be out in the next few weeks, depends how long it takes for the shipment to get through customs
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holosun recently released one where the battery is accessible and T1 mount compatiable.  
http:// http://www.holosun.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=78
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait for Primary Arms version. They are specking it to be 100% water proof and no auto off feature.

Quoted:

Yes there is a reason we kept rejecting it. It was failing our waterproofing tests. The PA model will not only have higher standards of water prof but be compatible with T1 QD mounts and no auto off the dot remains on no matter what.

-Dimitri
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
PA version is available as of now
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Holosun recently released one where the battery is accessible and T1 mount compatiable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.holosun.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=78

Link fixed
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, placed my order as soon as I got the in stock email, the MD-ADS is the best bang for your buck right now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, placed my order as soon as I got the in stock email, the MD-ADS is the best bang for your buck right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhhh! I can't get one until next week after I sell my current optic and I'm hoping they don't sell out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#14]
just ordered the PA MD-ADS. Considering it has a three year warranty and PA has ALWAYS taken care of it's customers....you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Marshall,
                How does THIS version compare to a T-1 in your opinion?  I've got a MD-06 and my understanding is that its not concidered a  "duty" optic.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Your honesty is refreshing to say the least.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Just ordered a Primary Arms MD-ADS with a ADM mount, can't wait to try it out.  Dimitri just posted some videos on youtube.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBuqsaWDgIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPemw8CVSU
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I would be interested to see someone do a torture test on this thing.  Hint, hint

Edit- looks like i need to do some more looking around before i pop off. Looks like PA already sent it through a mini torture test. Looks like it withstood some abuse.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep there are small differences... but Holosun makes them all... I would be willing to bet. I gotta admit that I prefer the way Primary Arms had their version specced to though.. they got rid of the auto-off feature and made it water proof and less expensive to boot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Closer but still not built with the level of components quality and manufacturing that you get with Aimpoint. I can't wait to get my hands on a T-2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Marshall,
                How does THIS version compare to a T-1 in your opinion?  I've got a MD-06 and my understanding is that its not concidered a  "duty" optic.

Closer but still not built with the level of components quality and manufacturing that you get with Aimpoint. I can't wait to get my hands on a T-2

I will be ordering a T-2 from you guys as soon as you get them in stock....
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just ordered a Primary Arms MD-ADS with a ADM mount, can't wait to try it out.  Dimitri just posted some videos on youtube.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBuqsaWDgIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPemw8CVSU
View Quote

I was looking forward to with playing with the MD-ADS today but I never got it.  UPS said it was delivered and left at my front door.  Went to check not there.  They're doing a investigation.  I contacted Primary Arms and they told me to wait a couple days to see what UPS says.

Update:  UPS driver delivered it to the wrong address.  My neighbor dropped it off to me this evening.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys I'm new here but just wanted to say I ordered my Hi-Lux Micro Max B Dot today. Should be here within the next week. Also it comes with a limited lifetime warranty from Hi-Lux. I can't wait to get it mounted and see just how well it stacks up. I'll post back with pics and a review once it arrives and I get it zeroed in. Also I wanted to let you know that you don't need the 1" riser if you have a collapsible front iron sight. My AR does so I opted out of the riser for the T1 mount.

-Bryan.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey guys I'm new here but just wanted to say I ordered my Hi-Lux Micro Max B Dot today. Should be here within the next week. Also it comes with a limited lifetime warranty from Hi-Lux. I can't wait to get it mounted and see just how well it stacks up. I'll post back with pics and a review once it arrives and I get it zeroed in. Also I wanted to let you know that you don't need the 1" riser if you have a collapsible front iron sight. My AR does so I opted out of the riser for the T1 mount.

-Bryan.
View Quote

The purpose of the riser is to raise the center of the sight to the same plane as the iron sights (absolute cowitness) or slightly above (lower 1/3 cowitness). If you are mounting the sight directly to the rail then how do you propose maintaining a proper cheekweld without the riser or am I misunderstanding your intention?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The purpose of the riser is to raise the center of the sight to the same plane as the iron sights (absolute cowitness) or slightly above (lower 1/3 cowitness). If you are mounting the sight directly to the rail then how do you propose maintaining a proper cheekweld without the riser or am I misunderstanding your intention?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Bryan.

From what I was told by their techs they said basically the only need for the riser was to clear the iron sights in the front. But my AR has a collapsible front iron sight so they said I don't need the riser.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the riser. It's actually really good for $29 and it features the Aimpoint T1 screw pattern. It has a lower 1/3 conwitness for both the Hi-Lux mini-dot or the Aimpoint T1.

If you are planning to use the Hi-Lux on an AR-15, you want the riser. Alternatively, the Hi-Lux mini-dot will fit on Aimpoint T1 riser since it uses the same screw pattern.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#28]
My AR has a collapsible front sight. It also has a 1/2" rail riser on the rail as it is. I don't think I'm going to need the 1" riser.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Ummm..........I would highly recommend getting the riser if you are going to use it on an AR....
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We have not hid the collaborative relationship between Holusun and PA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep there are small differences... but Holosun makes them all... I would be willing to bet. I gotta admit that I prefer the way Primary Arms had their version specced to though.. they got rid of the auto-off feature and made it water proof and less expensive to boot.

We have not hid the collaborative relationship between Holusun and PA.

Yep, I wasnt implying that. Good move in my book. I will be ordering either the P.A version or the Holosun version.  I really like the auto-on feature of the Holosun but I also really like the waterproofing and the auto-shutoff delete of the your version. Decisions, decisions....

I know one thing.  If the battery life is anywhere over 30k hours and it is reasonably durable I wont ever buy another T-1 ..let alone considering a T-2.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#31]
If this model isn't "duty" ready - there's going to be a slightly improved one later down the line for a bit more money that I bet will be.  It's only a matter of time I say..

I ditched my T1 to try out a Meoprolight RDS... so I'm open to other options.  Don't get me wrong I love a T1.. but it's just time for there to be some decent competition.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Mine showed up today and with the riser on the rail I had this is the cowitness through the sight.

I can fold the sight down as well and fire also.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g350/Em-N-Bry/50BDCAB8-F053-4700-BD8F-F6FC3BE1C22F.jpg

Mine showed up today and with the riser on the rail I had this is the cowitness through the sight.

I can fold the sight down as well and fire also.
View Quote

It looks like everything is working as intended.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Marshall,

This is why Marsh gets my business.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:16:42 AM EDT
[#35]
While I like the Hi-Lux for its affordability and quality for the price, I opted to go with an EOTech 552.a65. I really like the EOTech already and I haven't even shot it yet.

IMO the Hi-Lux is a great quality sight for someone looking to not break the bank and is perfectly capable of hitting out beyond 300 yds. That said I wanted a better optic and chose the EOTech for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#36]
TFB posted a picture of some Hi-Lux micodots mounted on a Alexander Arm rifle under going a extreme temperature test.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Hardly an alternative to an Aimpoint T1 (or T2). Just another cheap asian knockoff. Aimpoint should sue these knock off companies out of existance. They don't have the creativity to conceptualize and design something new and innovative. Just a desire to clone existing designs.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hardly an alternative to an Aimpoint T1 (or T2). Just another cheap asian knockoff. Aimpoint should sue these knock off companies out of existance. They don't have the creativity to conceptualize and design something new and innovative. Just a desire to clone existing designs.

View Quote

It's not another cheap Asian knock-off.........

At the Big 3 East Media event in Daytona Florida I had a chance to speak with
Bill Alexander from Alexander Arms. They have been doing independent endurance testing on the
Hi-Lux B-Dot scope mounted to one of their .338 Semi-Auto guns.

It's interesting to note their Cold/Heat testing exceeds US military testing
the B-Dot passed without issue.

Tim Yan has a short write up here

They were also running it on a belt fed machine gun at the event.
Zero problems. Well almost zero, they had a plastic flip cover break at -85 degrees F........

I have to say I REALLY like this red dot........
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I looked into that, they are assembled by Hi-Lux at their factory, not purchased
with their name on it. It is a Hi-Lux product
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would be interested to see someone do a torture test on this thing.  Hint, hint

Edit- looks like i need to do some more looking around before i pop off. Looks like PA already sent it through a mini torture test. Looks like it withstood some abuse.
View Quote

Independent testing on the Hi-Lux is being performed by Alexander Arms.
They are one of the few companies to have the capability to test from

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I looked into that, they are assembled by Hi-Lux at their factory, not purchased

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I highly highly doubt that.

-Jim
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Jim

I have my doubts as well, the brightness controls looks and location plus the turrets are good indicators of it coming from Holosun. So the parts are the same/similar with the assembly done elsewhere..

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
-Jim

I have my doubts as well, the brightness controls looks and location plus the turrets are good indicators of it coming from Holosun. So the parts are the same/similar with the assembly done elsewhere..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Jim

Some components purchased elsewhere but assembly performed in the
Hi-Lux factory under their Quality Control. Not very hard to understand.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top