Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2014 3:45:58 PM EDT
But it looks like its been drug behind a truck.  The reticle and clarity seem good but the exterior is pretty rough.   The guy aint budging at $200.   Worth it?

There is no illumination if it was supposed to have any.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
At that price and condition it may be stolen...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't buy a Burris MTAC for $200.00.

I would buy it in a heart beat if I was reasonabley certain its not stolen.

Chances are it will work just fine no matter what the exterior looks like.

It it is one of the non fiber optic pipe models, you may be pleasantly surprised that it still has illumination once you get it out of the daylight.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#3]
if it looks like this 4x32 without any fixed sights on top, and has a dot in center of crosshairs... probably a TA01

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
A local shop has it and it has the fixed sights atop with a removable rear.   Has the crosshair with stadia lines.
No fiber optic pipe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Its at a LGS but I was concerned it may have been  "Duffel bag acquired".
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
no    glow = fake
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
no    glow = fake
View Quote

Not necessarily.

Tritnium has a half-life. When it goes out, there's no illumination.
The ACOG in question may need a new lamp
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh...look at it this way. In its current condition, would the government want it back and deem it serviceable?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
TA01NSN.... special ops typically
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not necessarily.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no    glow = fake

Not necessarily.

Try putting your hands on the front so it's dark. Do you see a glowing reticle?

They do sell surplus acogs and aim points for about 200 bucks. I do not believe they are stolen and probably really beat up. You'd just need a new lamp and you can send it back to trijicon. However if it is a ta01 then the glow will only appear in low light conditions so getting fixed might not be a priority.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#11]
If it is indeed stolen, trijicon will not service it. On the other hand, $200 for a non-lit ACOG is still a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Meh...look at it this way. In its current condition, would the government want it back and deem it serviceable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So someone steals your car and wrecks it. Would you want it back?  Maybe not but you sure want the thief to rot in jail
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So someone steals your car and wrecks it. Would you want it back?  Maybe not but you sure want the thief to rot in jail
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if it was purchased with stolen money in the first place??
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They do sell surplus acogs and aim points for about 200 bucks. I do not believe they are stolen and probably really beat up. You'd just need a new lamp and you can send it back to trijicon. However if it is a ta01 then the glow will only appear in low light conditions so getting fixed might not be a priority.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no    glow = fake

Not necessarily.

Where are you seeing surplus acogs?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#15]
If you buy an ACOG for $200 and it's stolen you'll be prosecuted as well as the person who sold it to you. This law is usually applied when people have a reasonable belief that the price they paid is well below the market price when buying the item. $200 for an ACOG is screaming stolen. The fact that the scope has had rough treatment also leads me to believe that it's "surplus". Who else, besides the military, beats the hell out an expensive scope? Even state side police departments wouldn't abuse something this expensive.

Ask if you can get a serial number before you purchase so you can run it past Trijicon. This will confirm authenticity and if it's government issue they will let you know, they'll also let the proper authority's know.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember a guy on where who bought a stolen item, I believe it was an ACOG, actually. The DoD printed out information from THIS website (for sale thread), and showed up at his place of work, and re-appropriated the optic that day. The guy was polite, cooperative, and did not know he had bought stolen gear. Financial loss secondary to the loss of "his" ACOG was his only repercussion.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
no    glow = fake

Not necessarily.

Yea, I'd love to buy an ACOG for $200!!!!  Something tells me for that price it could be a fake though.

I've seen some Chinese knock off ACOGs that from the outside look real.  They have all the right markings and everything.  I ones I saw were a knock off TA01nsn too.  The glass was what gives them away.  The eye relief, quality of glass, and reticle were terrible.  And they were not illuminated.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#18]
As a personal rule, I won't buy serialized gear that may have had a connection with a previous .gov owner unless they can prove the history of the item.  Just not worth a knock on the door.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top