Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 8:17:53 PM EDT
According to the Aimpoint website, the PRO weighs 11.6 ounces "including mount and spacer."  For the T1 they show 3.0 ounces for the sight alone, and 3.7 ounces for the sight "with integrated mount."  Am I to believe the mount (for AR mounting) only weighs 0.7 ounces?  That doesn't sound right.  Has anyone here actually weighed the T1 with the mount and spacer?  I'm trying to keep the weight down on carbine, but would like to keep the cost down too.  Hence, an argument with self.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have an aimpoint, but the cheap mount for my Primary Arms micro dot weighs 1.9oz.  The LaRue mount for the T1 weighs 0.74 oz.  so yeah 0.7oz is a believable number.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My T1 in a Larue LT660 mount is about 6oz if I remember right, so the info from Aimpoint is probably a typo about their factory mount.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have bot,h and when using them I cant tell the difference in weight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have bot,h and when using them I cant tell the difference in weight.
View Quote

My experience as well. I even witched out to just irons and couldnt feel the weight difference between naked PRO and T-1
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd be interested to see someone weigh an Aimpoint T1 in a LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]
So you guys are saying you can't tell the weight difference of almost 6 ounces, virtually double the weight of a QD mounted T-1? I'll bet that you would instantly reject a handguard or rail that was six ounces heavier than what you run now, or a six ounce heavier stock than your present one.  I get it that you may not want to pay that much more for a micro that is also far more compact, but that difference in weight is very noticable for most of us and a factor in decision making.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes that's what I'm saying, When you play with it your living room you can tell the difference. When I use the rifle I cant tell the difference. I have 4 micros, and 1 M3.
I have a dissapator rifle with a PRI rifle length handguard, and a Sully stock with the Comp M3, Heavy when your just holding it doing nothing, When I run it I don't notice it.

There's no right answer for optics, its trial, and error until you find what works for you, or what you like. Plenty of people prefer the 30mm objective over the 20mm on the micro.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes that's what I'm saying, When you play with it your living room you can tell the difference. When I use the rifle I cant tell the difference. I have 4 micros, and 1 M3.
I have a dissapator rifle with a PRI rifle length handguard, and a Sully stock with the Comp M3, Heavy when your just holding it doing nothing, When I run it I don't notice it.

There's no right answer for optics, its trial, and error until you find what works for you, or what you like. Plenty of people prefer the 30mm objective over the 20mm on the micro.

To each his own.
View Quote

Like the man said, you have to try them at the range to figure out which you prefer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So you guys are saying you can't tell the weight difference of almost 6 ounces, virtually double the weight of a QD mounted T-1? I'll bet that you would instantly reject a handguard or rail that was six ounces heavier than what you run now, or a six ounce heavier stock than your present one.  I get it that you may not want to pay that much more for a micro that is also far more compact, but that difference in weight is very noticable for most of us and a factor in decision making.
View Quote

I really cant feel the difference of 6 oz.  I am not carrying my weapon on any 25km road marches so  I  can go with the PRO for a bigger window.... but I like my T-1 just fine...just as much as the PRO but I could go either way since the difference (either way) isn't a make or break. As long as the rifle isnt breaking 13 lbs loaded I dont care.  As far as 6 more oz in the stock... sometimes I look for a heavier stock when setting up a rifle to offset front loaded designs.... like an AK or a Vepr.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#11]
If 6 extra ounces is too much weight, time to hit the gym.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a T-1 on 1/3 LaRue I like it and it works very well, I also have a PRO on his AR, truthfully I prefer the PRO.  The 30mm window as the advantage of being able to pick up the dot shooting from unconventional positions, I wouldn't discount that advantage.  Sure ounces add up, but I'd rather shave unnecessary weight than shave functional weight.  I think for my next Aimpoint I'll get an M3 with LaRue mount and I think micros will only be for 30 degree offsets on LaRue mount as the micro really shines as an offset.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not about 6 ounces.  It's about cutting weight everywhere you can so that you don't end up with a heavy overall package.  Every bit you can trim out means you can carry it that much longer or move a little faster.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#14]
The mount that comes with the T-1 is a low mount more suitable for a shotgun, not an AR. The Daniel Defense T-1 mount is the lightweigt that I prefer at 1.7 oz. It does not have QD. The Fortis T-1 mount is the lightest at 1 ounce, but some have said thaey don't include the screws with that weight. I don't care for the design with the forward slant. And again, no QD.

It isn't about the gym. 6 ounces is >1/3 of pound. It doesn't take much to knock 1 1/2 pounds off a rifle, although the most weight is usually saved in the barrel, rail, and stock. Some prefer a lighter rifle. Some don't care.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The mount that comes with the T-1 is a low mount more suitable for a shotgun, not an AR. The Daniel Defense T-1 mount is the lightweigt that I prefer at 1.7 oz. It does not have QD. The Fortis T-1 mount is the lightest at 1 ounce, but some have said thaey don't include the screws with that weight. I don't care for the design with the forward slant. And again, no QD.

It isn't about the gym. 6 ounces is >1/3 of pound. It doesn't take much to knock 1 1/2 pounds off a rifle, although the most weight is usually saved in the barrel, rail, and stock. Some prefer a lighter rifle. Some don't care.
View Quote
Well said.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are honest, real honest, my post makes sense about needing to hit the gym.  Just take a trip to the range, gun show, supermarket, or mall.  

AMERICANS ARE GROSSLY OUT OF SHAPE.  IT IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.  MOST MEN LOOK LIKE THEY ARE IN THEIR THIRD TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY.

Not just gunowners.  Just about everyone.  It is a national epidemic.  

How many times do you lift weights in a typical week?
How many minutes of cardio do you do every day?
Do you stretch and can you touch your toes?

Hit the gym a few times a week, run 4-5 miles a day, and stretch daily.  You will care less about an extra 6 ounces on your gun.  

P.S.  Most gunowners won't do these things. It is easier just to buy another gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you are honest, real honest, my post makes sense about needing to hit the gym.  Just take a trip to the range, gun show, supermarket, or mall.  

AMERICANS ARE GROSSLY OUT OF SHAPE.  IT IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.  MOST MEN LOOK LIKE THEY ARE IN THEIR THIRD TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY.

Hit the gym a few times a week, run 4-5 miles a day, and stretch daily.  You will care less about an extra 6 ounces on your gun.  

P.S.  Most gunowners won't do these things. It is easier just to buy another gun.
View Quote

Ounces make pounds.
Carrying useless weight doesn't make you manlier, and if you don't care about weight, why not carry a Garand or a AR10? After all, who cares about extra weight?
Wanting a lighter, better handling rifle is a sign of someone who is smart, not someone who is effeminate.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't realize we were in the Self Defense and Fitness sub forum?

I lifft weights 2-3 times a week.  How much do you bench brah?

Doesn't have much to do with which optic to pick.

Here's an idea...we could lift weights and make our guns lighter!  That would be cool.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

I do everything you say weekly, and still care about the 6 ounces. I also know and have read about many strong guys who all prefer LW carbines like Frank Proctor for example.

Hell I have a fractured foot right now and am still working out doing pullups and sit down workouts.

Frank

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I like his setup, but didn't recognize that brake--two ports and some flash-hiding stuff.  Anyone know what that is?

ON TOPIC:  I prefer the T1 even though I can lift a PRO.  Pat Macnamara uses the even lighter RMR even though he's a beast--it's just small, fast and light.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right on que. Thanks for that witty and insightful guidance noob.

its not hard to take a pound or more off of a gun through carefull selection of accessories. The trick is to minimize weight without negatively impacting capability or reliability. 6oz is a pretty good chunk for 1 item. I rebuilt a 6920 for a buddy a few years ago. We ditched his compM2 for an H-1, had the barrel turned down to a lightweight, installed a TRX-E,  replaced his 951 with a scout light and put a CAR stock on it. I forget the exact numbers but we took close to 2lbs off that rifle. It adds up and that is part of the appeal of the T-1
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I like his setup, but didn't recognize that brake--two ports and some flash-hiding stuff.  Anyone know what that is?

ON TOPIC:  I prefer the T1 even though I can lift a PRO.  Pat Macnamara uses the even lighter RMR even though he's a beast--it's just small, fast and light.
View Quote
If your talking about the vid I posted I cant tell either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, fucking Pat McNamara...how dare he use a lightweight optic...he needs to hit the gym.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#24]
The guy in the picture wouldn't whine about the weight of the Aimpoint Pro.  

Most guys I see at the range and gunshow look like this

http://sparkiearbuckle.sayanythingblog.com/files/2012/05/fat-man-little-gun-500x375.jpg
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://sparkiearbuckle.sayanythingblog.com/files/2012/05/fat-man-little-gun-500x375.jpg
View Quote

Who's whining?  As you can see, in the picture he's using an RMR I believe.  It's about taking every advantage you can get.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep.  Because you might just die if you have an extra 6 ounces.  

Interview 100 random guys at any gunshow and ask them if they have ran 5 miles straight in the last 6 months.  It would be a miracle if 3 out of the 100 could answer affirmatively.  You know it too.  

It is just easier to buy stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#27]
The guys going to gun shows usually don't know the difference between a T-1 and a Pro, they're looking for the best deal on an NcSTAR.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yep.  Because you might just die if you have an extra 6 ounces.  

Interview 100 random guys at any gunshow and ask them if they have ran 5 miles straight in the last 6 months.  It would be a miracle if 3 out of the 100 could answer affirmatively.  You know it too.  

It is just easier to buy stuff.
View Quote

Gun show visitors are experts in this sort of thing?  I'd rather poll guys that carry their stuff around in the field all day long.

So, am I hearing you say that Aimpoint wanted their money and time by making the T-1 much lighter, half the weight of the Pro?  I guess the guys that want lighter rails and lighter stocks are just as crazy, too.

The cumulative effect of all this weight matters.   I come from a hunting background and am used to carrying bolt action rifles in the field all day, climbing hills with them.  Also carrying a backpack, maybe a portable tree stand to set up.   Out in the middle of nowhere. There are a LOT of guys like us.  Having a hunting rifle these days complete with scope, mounts, sling, full magazine and ready to shoot that weighs over 7.5 to 8 poinds TOTAL is almost sacrilege and not to be tolerated.  I was stunned at how heavy most AR15s turn out to be when guys keep adding stuff to them with no regard whatsoever for weight, and with carbine barrels much shorter and lighter than the typical bolt gun barrel, unless you are slapping a bull barrel on the AR too.

Why would anyone want an AR to be even heavier than 8 pounds ready to fire,  unless it is a safe queen that is not going to be in his hands or over his shoulder for more than 10 minutes at a stretch?.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#29]
The T1 is a great sight.  I have six of them.  The Pro is fine too.  I have two of them.  

My point is that 6 ounces doesn't matter.  Pick one and move on.  If 6 ounces matter to you, you have a different problem.  

I coyote hunt with my AR15 that has a TA11J-G and offset T1 on a Larue mount.  I typically walk 5-6 miles a trip - up and down hills like you.  I pick the best gear for the job.  Getting tired doesn't make me want to modify my equipment choices, it makes me want to do more cardio, have better eating habits, and do more weight training.

It is trendy to want to purchase your way to tacticoolness.  It is less fun to do some hard work improving the person trying to be tacticool.  

Seriously, my last trip to the range was an eye opener.  Tables and tables of cool guns.  Thousands of dollars in the best equipment.  And ... almost everyone there looked like walking heart attacks. With a couple of exceptions, the biggest danger to these people isn't a bad guy with a gun.  The biggest real and present danger in their lives was at the dinner table.  Disgusting.  

But, that's America.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#30]
The horse is dead already.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#32]
How about you start your own thread about being fit isntead of hijacking OP's thread?

Weight is always a consideration.  Anyone that tells you otherwise is a wannabe.  I have a very fit friend and he's always concerned with the weight of his gear.  Weight will break anyone down with time.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top