User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 7:53:17 AM EDT
So I'm dead set on a Vortex PST 2.5-10x

Problem is... Which one?

The 44mm Obj. or the 32mm Obj?

I did the "Product comparison" on Vortex's website, and the only difference besides the Obj. size I could see was, FFP...

Is that really all? Or is the glass different too?

Honestly, if its just the FFP reticle, I'd rather save $200, and have a scope with a bigger Obj. for greater light gathering at dawn and dusk. (Plus I don't really need FFP reticle) But if the x32 model has better glass too... Well I could be swayed

Anybody tried both of them?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO FFP is useless at low power. The scope aesthetically looks better with the x32 bell instead of the larger x44...but also just my opinion
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The x32 is reported to have better glass.  I've never owned the x44, so I can't confirm nor deny.  However, I will say that the optical quality on the x32 version is excellent and performs above and beyond it's price point.  With that said, I'm selling mine if anyone is interested.  It will be going on the EE soon.  No reason to get rid of it other than I don't have a gun specifically for it at the moment and I really could use the money.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Well the way I look at it, having no experience with either, is to get the bigger objective since it will fit. In order to mount a scope at the right height on an ar there is generally enough room I squeeze a bigger objective on. I use the lowest spr mount larue makes and can still squeeze a 40+mm objective on. I didn't know that when I bought it and ordered a 30 something mm obj Nikon. I always like to mount my scopes as low as possible/comfortable and at that height I can get away with the bigger objective. As soon as I save up enough for a ruger American in .308, I will get a bigger belled Nikon for my 20"ar with the spr mount

Eta. Get the one with better glass and the features you really want but I don't think there is a cold hard fast consensus on which vortex has the better glass. Personally for what I use my scoped ar for the more light I can gather the better
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The 44mm Obj does not have Side Focus.  I have both and, at least with my samples and to my eyes the 32mm has better clarity.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have experience with the X32, although supposedly they have better glass. I really hope so because a X44 I used had crap glass.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had both.  The 32mm has better glass.  I sold my 44mm, but still have my 32mm.  

Interestingly, at 2.5x the reticle is surprisingly usable as a simple duplex hunting reticle. It gets even better with some illumination.  This is not normally the case with low-powered FFP scopes.  

My only complaint is that the exit pupil gets quite tight at 10x, requiring my cheek-weld to be perfect. I find myself running it at 8x a lot. Good thing it is FFP!

If money was no object, I'd have the 2.5-10x42mm Nightforce.  But for now, I'll take 80% of that scope at a 50% price tag.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the 44 objective and there is no issue with mine. Glass is clear and objects are sharp.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Meh... I think I'll just go with the x32 model

I've read that its pretty much the same quality as the NF NXS 2.5x10... I'll be happy with that! Lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Lol yeah I'm sure it is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I went to Scheels today, and they had the x32 FFP model on display...

Going with that one! Someone informed me of a place where I can get one for only $50 more than the $600 x44 model (Good looking out!), gonna place an order next weekend, and have a Larue LT104 being delivered today.

My rifle has been glasseless for waaaaay too long

Rifle:

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PM me this place, if you would.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I went to Scheels today, and they had the x32 FFP model on display...

Going with that one! Someone informed me of a place where I can get one for only $50 more than the $600 x44 model (Good looking out!), gonna place an order next weekend, and have a Larue LT104 being delivered today.

My rifle has been glasseless for waaaaay too long

Rifle:

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae202/slowkota1/IMG_0469_zps8de3ae43.jpg

PM me this place, if you would.

I'd be interested in this too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Meh... I think I'll just go with the x32 model

I've read that its pretty much the same quality as the NF NXS 2.5x10... I'll be happy with that! Lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

As much as I like the Vortex PST line, they are not NF quality.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the PST x32 and x44 AND the latest model NF 2.5-10x32 Mil-R.  

Brief Review:

PST x44.    This optic kind of sucks.  fine objects at distance were not especially clear, and chromatic aberration was bad.   Turrets were OK.   Eyebox is OK.

PST x32:   Holy crap.   You feel bad selling the x44 to someone after seeing this one.  Turret feel is upgraded, glass is MUCH better than the x44, all controls now move smoothly and are well built.  
Target acquisition and its underlying fundamentals eyebox and low power reticle view are good   Reticle design was good.  Illumination is good.

NF 2.5-10x32.   Excellent reticle, excellent glass, excellent everything.    But:  
Eybox isn't as good as the x32 PST.   Illumination is not as good.    No side focus.    
Zero stop on the NF is better.  Knobs are very good.  

The glass on the NF and the PSTx32 were both very very good.   I could not imagine a situation where the glass on either of these optics would let me down.  

I have engaged 1000m targets with both optics and was successful in each case.  I would rather have the PSTx32 for low power work and the NF at high power.  The NF's built in switch lever is very very nice.  I anticipate the NF will be a tougher optic.  

My take?   THe PSTx32 with a red dot 45degree optic might be a real winner.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top