Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 6:37:44 PM EDT
So I currently own an EXPS3. I love it. But it's my first and only EOT. Starting to order and stack parts for an MK18 build and considered the 553-Tan. However, I thought they were cheaper than $700? When I bought my EXPS3 over a year ago, I really thought it was more expensive than the 553.

I understand the battery position thing, but I just like the way the big 553 looks on the MK18. But I'm not sure I can bring myself to pay more for the older design. Did EOTech do something special lately with the 553?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are doing this just for looks,  nobody is going to be able to help you out.

I will say that the 553 is being phased out so if you are building a clone,  it really won't be "clone correct" with in a couple years.

I own both and other than battery life,  the EXPS3-0 beats it in every category. Those ARMS mounts absolutely suck,  unless your have an upper they will play nice with. Also,  buttons on the back makes running a magnifier all but impossible when using BUIS.  Finally,  if you subscribe to the popular belief that optics should not span an upper and hand guard, you'll have to mount the 553 so far back that it really changes the balance of the MK18.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned both and other than battery life differences and button placement, you really can't tell the difference when using it.

Of course the EXPS gets better marks in the "reliability" category as quite a few people have had issuez with battery contacts thought to stem from the battery orientation.

If I were you, I'd stick with the EXPS.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer a XPS3-0 over both your options.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely not wanting the 553 just based on looks. I just prefer the looks over the EXPS. But I love my EXPS3, I think its great and I've had no problems so far.

And I do mount it spanning the receiver and rail. I prefer red dots mounted further forward. I got the EXPS3 because I thought it would work better overall with a magnifier and BUIS. But its on my carbine. I don't plan on using a magnifier on the MK18.

Decisions decisions. Most likely gonna end up with another EXPS3 I'm sure.

Why do you say XPS3? Just for the mounting height? I like the QD lever of the EXPS and prefer lower 1/3
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely not wanting the 553 just based on looks. I just prefer the looks over the EXPS. But I love my EXPS3, I think its great and I've had no problems so far.

And I do mount it spanning the receiver and rail. I prefer red dots mounted further forward. I got the EXPS3 because I thought it would work better overall with a magnifier and BUIS. But its on my carbine. I don't plan on using a magnifier on the MK18.

Decisions decisions. Most likely gonna end up with another EXPS3 I'm sure.

Why do you say XPS3? Just for the mounting height? I like the QD lever of the EXPS and prefer lower 1/3
View Quote

If you like those features then the EXPS is for you.  

I've always shot absolute zero EOTechs and it's what I'm used to.  Also the whole QD lever thing is kinda weird on an optic, although I can see why some would want it.  My last EOTech was on my gun for like 8+ years and I never had a need to take it off, so to me the QD is of limited value.  

If they would make a XPS3-0 with side buttons then I'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#6]
So I've been looking at Eotechs over the last couple days and I can't seem to find a single dot EXSP model without ring. Does Eotech make an EXSP single dot model?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]
IMO, the only thing Eotech has going for it is the reticle. If you're looking for just a single dot, your better option would be an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IMO, the only thing Eotech has going for it is the reticle. If you're looking for just a single dot, your better option would be an Aimpoint.
View Quote

Not the 'only' thing EOTech has going for it, but if you are looking for a single-dot RDS, go with Aimpoint. The PRO is a great optic, or if you want to spend a little more and get even more gangster battery life, check out the CompM4.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not the 'only' thing EOTech has going for it, but if you are looking for a single-dot RDS, go with Aimpoint. The PRO is a great optic, or if you want to spend a little more and get even more gangster battery life, check out the CompM4.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I did say "in my opinion". What else would you say Eotech sights have over the competition?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
+ Small package/footprint, especially the E/XPS series.
+ Built in QR mounts and cowitness.
+ BRIGHT dot
+ 65 MOA "aiming" circle; to me, helps me center the shot under "duress".
+ It's not tubular = much easier to use both eyes open technique.
+ Easy to use with helmet mounted NODs due to parallax free aiming.
+ Rugged.
+ Common batteries (AA, N, 123)
- Battery life less than a bazillion years.

I own both EOTech and Aimpoints. I love them both and can't see any reason to own any other 1x RDS than those two. However, I prefer the EOTech. I ran some carbine drills with the same rifle, one set with the PRO and another with the EXPS3. It proved to me that the EOTech is the faster sight.

I've had my EXPS3 for 14 months now and I'm still on the original battery. It's not 'always on' but I use it monthly and it stays on the entire time I am on the range.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
+ Small package/footprint, especially the E/XPS series.
+ Built in QR mounts and cowitness.
+ BRIGHT dot
+ 65 MOA "aiming" circle; to me, helps me center the shot under "duress".
+ It's not tubular = much easier to use both eyes open technique.
+ Easy to use with helmet mounted NODs due to parallax free aiming.
+ Rugged.
+ Common batteries (AA, N, 123)
- Battery life less than a bazillion years.

I own both EOTech and Aimpoints. I love them both and can't see any reason to own any other 1x RDS than those two. However, I prefer the EOTech. I ran some carbine drills with the same rifle, one set with the PRO and another with the EXPS3. It proved to me that the EOTech is the faster sight.

I've had my EXPS3 for 14 months now and I'm still on the original battery. It's not 'always on' but I use it monthly and it stays on the entire time I am on the range.
View Quote

I also said OVER the competition... so besides reticle, the benefit is the footprint? Well... unless you go with a micro rds, right?
My M4 has a built in QR mount that cowitnesses, is super bright, is parallax free, is rugged enough for the military, uses a AA AND has a battery life of a bazillion years.

Shooting with both eyes open isn't a problem for me... I've done it with magnified optics without issue(as low as 3x and high as 18x).

I don't own eotech optics because of their past issues, battery life, button style, and I hate looking at lasers. The reticle is nice, but it doesn't make up for what I see as shortcomings.  That being said, I have nothing personally against eotech and I probably wouldn't turn one down if given to me. I just prefer the features of the aimpoint. In the end, choices are good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's an "over the competitiyour . If you front glass breaks on an Aimpoint,  you gotta ditch the optic. If the glass breaks on the EOTech,  you still get the reticle on all unaffected portions of the glass.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
They will both work for you if you train with them. I have a 553 and I love it. You can use it with a magnifier but it does take practice. I have never personally had an issue with the arms mounts but I have heard of many people having problems. That's the only draw back I can see.

As far as price, I would play the waiting game if you are set on the 553. Set the cash for it aside and get everything else for your build but keep your eyes open on the EE here and other forums. I got mine on here, BNIB for $600. If you are really set on it, just be patient.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top