Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 3:53:18 PM EDT
I need a decent spotting scope in the $200 range. I had purchased an elcheapo Harbor Freight $40 scope but it is a POS. It is only good under 100 yards after that it is impossible to clearly focus it. Anyone got any tips on a spotting scope in the $200 range?

Vince
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Save your money the value between a $200 spotting scope and the one you purchased is not that much different.  Take a look on the site under "Optics Mounts and Sights".

Trust me on this you will be happier putting this off for another year and saving to get a much better quality scope.  I would think you want to spend in the neighborhood of $1000 or at least $700 or so on the bottom end.  Best wishes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my Konus 20-60x80mm, it smokes my Barska and still doesn't break the bank.  I can easily see .22 cal holes on plain white paper at 230 yards, probably much further. The tripod that came w/ it leaves much to be desired, but nice tripods are fairly easy to come by.  I have no need for a $2000 spotter, I'd rather spend that on other day and night optics.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Konus 20-60x80 is the way to go. It is in the low $200's. You would need to go up to $1000 kowa to notice a difference.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to always work with in your budget, and I respect that.  You will get what you pay for when it comes to optics.

I had a Burris compact many years ago that I wish I wouldn't have sold.  It was small enough to pack and it worked well for what I needed and wanted.  Maybe take a look at the Burris XTS 25 -75 x 70. It might work for you.  I have never seen one in person or used one.

I have an older Vortex Skyline. It works for me.  If you can save a little more, look at the Vortex Diamondback spotter.  

I am a Leupold fan.  Check out their Ventana 15-45x60.  It is reasonably priced, but I have never looked through one to give you any information.

Whatever you buy, determine what you are going to use it for and look through it first.  Determine what range you will use it most at......100 yards, 150, 200, etc.

Are you looking at bullet holes on paper or trying to determine if you are looking at a rock or a deer at an extended range?

Maybe someone can chime in on the above and give you a better perspective.  Stick with a name brand so if you have problems you will have great customer service.

EDIT:  As I think about it a little more due to the mistakes I made buying optics....look for a name brand with the least amount of accessories so hopefully the money was spent on the glass.  Read the reviews, especially the poor ones, chances are these guys knew what they wanted.  Decide on angled or straight, a lower power in a cheaper optic will be more bang for your buck, plan on buying a better tripod than the one supplied.  Eye relief...do you were glasses (hopefully you wear shooting glasses) and look through it for an extended period of time to check on eye strain before you buy it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Save your money the value between a $200 spotting scope and the one you purchased is not that much different..
View Quote

I seriously doubt that, this HF spotting scope is a pure POS.

Vince
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top