Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Received my 4x today.

Had a little ordering hiccup when their site was having problems. PA cleared it up same day and shipped next morning. To my door 2 days later.

Glass is phenomenal, the reticle is very sharp and visible, illuminated is very good as well. I will say it seems pretty heavy but for the price I do believe it is unbeatable.

I hope to throw a mini reflex on top and now regret not getting the ADR QD mount but whatever no big deal.

Can't wait to get it to the range.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
So lets say I want to mount a reflex on top but without the picatinny rail, which mount do I use? can it mount with the rail attachement?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been trying to get a picture but the optic causes my cell + point and shoot camera to get really messed up.

Note: this does not do the glass any justice what so ever but it does however show how clear the non illuminated reticle is.

Car is about ~520 ft away.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been trying to get a picture but the optic causes my cell + point and shoot camera to get really messed up.

Note: this does not do the glass any justice what so ever but it does however show how clear the non illuminated reticle is.

http://i.imgur.com/qrs134Zl.jpg

Car is about ~520 ft away.
View Quote

Not too bad.
I'm reading increasingly better reviews about PA's budget optics and scopes. Don't know if this is a factor of better design, better contract manufacturing partners, better material suppliers, or a combination of all three.

From the value-to-function & benefit standpoint, there are going to be few alternatives on the market that can achieve the same price points for a NIB unit with an American supplier behind it (I know it's made in Asia ... big deal) and not some no American presence or butt to kick Kee-Ho Tang LTD Mfg. found on Alibaba / Ebay / Amazon that's a total ice roll.

Of course always purchase the best quality optics that your finances and budget allow (don't forget to factor costs for those all too critical mounts and rings too), but temper that with the fact that very few of us sportsmen need or will ever put to full use an optic with over the beach, go to war build specs.

It's a nice talking point at the range and with friends, but far from a necessity.

Funny how optics preference runs though, especially when it comes to what is laser etched insider the reticle. For decades the world was largely satisfied with three flavors - Cross Hairs (open/closed), Mil Dot or MRAD. In some respects I still find these to be perfect. Simple, effective, easy to understand and explain to others.

Some people find the chevron and BDC on an ACOG to be perfect for them. Others despise it (but usually won't admit it because they just spent $1000+ on a premium optic and don't want to feel embarrassed  ) You'll never had consensus on what is the best. It's a sole subjective factor of (1) What is the best for your eyes and brain (2) What do you think you'll get the most use out of.

@PA, Dimitri
I know this is a new release, but are their any plans to include possibly a fiber optic light pipe to illuminate the BDC and horseshoe? I think that would really be a plus.
Also, what's the approximate run time on the battery and is there an auto-off feature? I didn't see it listed in the product description.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Why do you want a fiber optic light pipe when you have a rheostat controlled LED ?

Not my intent to be sarcastic just interested in case I missed something.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why do you want a fiber optic light pipe when you have a rheostat controlled LED ?

Not my intent to be sarcastic just interested in case I missed something.
View Quote

It's not a need to have, but they are a nice to have. Sort of a back-up for not much increased cost.
I couldn't find information on the approximate run-time and if the scope has an auto-off feature.  
LEDs can fail (or more often the PCB driver has a failure or breaks a soldered connection) or the batteries run down.
Light pipes don't fail and are always on. I was actually surprised to see how much light they can gather, focus, and retransmit even in relatively low ambiance conditions.

But please don't anyone take that as condemnation of the PAC4 ... I'm just bouncing ideas off the wall.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonder how close the reticle would be on an 18" 6.8 SPC
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Aesthetics are a personal preference. The new scope (one on the left) weights less than a oz more. Also higher magnification.  The front threading is .4" longer to allow the killflash to thread all the way in. The better killflash fit, shorter mount to push the scope back were both done to address customer feedback on our 3X and other similar scopes in the market. We went to a single removable accessory rail again based on feedback.

It is comparable in size and weight to the two best know competing 3X scopes.  I think it looks pretty good and with the ACSS daylight visible retilce and the other changes based purely on function is in a entirely different league.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/4X3Xcompare_zps6c831989.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing compact about this scope. It's pretty bulky. I liked the PAC3X better aesthetically.

Aesthetics are a personal preference. The new scope (one on the left) weights less than a oz more. Also higher magnification.  The front threading is .4" longer to allow the killflash to thread all the way in. The better killflash fit, shorter mount to push the scope back were both done to address customer feedback on our 3X and other similar scopes in the market. We went to a single removable accessory rail again based on feedback.

It is comparable in size and weight to the two best know competing 3X scopes.  I think it looks pretty good and with the ACSS daylight visible retilce and the other changes based purely on function is in a entirely different league.

Is there a fundamental difference in design wrt durability between the two? I own a PAC3X that I'm happy with, just wondering whether the 4x is similar internally or if there are significant differences.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing compact about this scope. It's pretty bulky. I liked the PAC3X better aesthetically.

Is there a fundamental difference in design wrt durability between the two? I own a PAC3X that I'm happy with, just wondering whether the 4x is similar internally or if there are significant differences.

Not sure if you have seen some of the torture test on the 4X its a tank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNdwc-Poz0&list=UUBGoBSft9CeEwH0eXJ3-Z8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FL98k2rx5c&list=UUBGoBSft9CeEwH0eXJ3-Z8g

-Dimitri

Yeah, I saw those - I guess my question is whether there is a significant upgrade from the 3x to the 4x in your design that makes it a more robust optic than what I've got.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm looking for a sight for a 7.62x39 AR.  Realistically the long range capabilities of the sight aren't going to matter much on that caliber.  Any thoughts on the 4x vs the 2.5x version  ?Right now I have a red dot on it, I like it but this whole getting old thing sucks and I think a bit of magnification would help.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a sight for a 7.62x39 AR.  Realistically the long range capabilities of the sight aren't going to matter much on that caliber.  Any thoughts on the 4x vs the 2.5x version  ?Right now I have a red dot on it, I like it but this whole getting old thing sucks and I think a bit of magnification would help.
View Quote

I'm in this boat also.  I need a decent scope for my AK 74 and then a red dot only for the AK 47 Mini Draco I'm building into an SBR.   I have 7 AR's and a couple of SOCOM16's with MeOpta/s M-8's, and EOTECHs. but I don't plan on the Russian stuff to be anything but fun guns.  That could change with the SBR but it is several months away.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]
New 5X is the making from PA

Hmmm ... may upgrade
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top