Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really wish you had done this with a common battery.

I do like that the reticule is etched on so that it is useable without batteries.

What is the battery life and is there an auto cutoff.

I'm looking for something to replace my red dots as I get older.
View Quote

It takes a CR2032.  You can walk into Walmart and buy these in the jewelry department all day long.  That seems to be a pretty common battery for illuminated optics.  My Viper PST takes that battery, and Aimpoint T1/H1s take the same battery as well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

???? CR2032 is as common as you can get for a optic.

Around 200 hours. No auto shutoff. We did not designed as a red dot since you have a etched reticle . You do not need batteries to function and CR2032 batteries are cheap and easy to find.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do like that the reticule is etched on so that it is useable without batteries.

Around 200 hours. No auto shutoff. We did not designed as a red dot since you have a etched reticle . You do not need batteries to function and CR2032 batteries are cheap and easy to find.

No, AA or CR123 is as common as you can get.  I really don't want to have to carry multiple types of batteries for my Rifle (I already do and am resisting buying another one.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 different types/brands of rifle scopes with illuminated reticles...theyf ALL use CR2032's.
Where would you mount the housing for one of those shaped batteries on a scope?

EDIT: I do not own anything from Primary Arms, yet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have 3 different types/brands of rifle scopes with illuminated reticles...theyf ALL use CR2032's.
View Quote

Well, good for you.  Do you have a weapons light, IR laser or NODs that use a CR2032?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
nope
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well, good for you.  Do you have a weapons light, IR laser or NODs that use a CR2032?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CR2032 is an appropriate size/output battery for the application. Do you want a powerstroke v8 in your lawnmower so you can use the same oil filter in it as your truck? Right tool for right application.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

CR2032 is an appropriate size/output battery for the application. Do you want a powerstroke v8 in your lawnmower so you can use the same oil filter in it as your truck? Right tool for right application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You analogy is, asinine.

It's not like I have to carry oil filters in my range bag and rucksack.  It's not like no other manufacturers make an optic that uses CR123 or AA.

If they had done it with a battery that I stock I would already be using one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, AA or CR123 is as common as you can get.  I really don't want to have to carry multiple types of batteries for my Rifle (I already do and am resisting buying another one.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well aren't you pleasant to have a discussion with.....

The CR2032 is a small lightweight battery that keeps the size of the optic down and it can be found in every gas station and grocery store.

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The CR2032 is a small lightweight battery that keeps the size of the optic down and it can be found in every gas station and grocery store.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see how I'm being unpleasant.  I don't disagree with what your saying and I really like the idea of this optic.  However, I don't want to add another battery to the list of batteries I have to carry spares for.  This is especially true considering the short battery life of the optic in question (which would be greatly increased if it was a 123 or AA)

I guess I think about guns and accessories differently than the target demographic for this optic.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Did I really just have to read about someone complaining about carrying a battery the size of a button and how "uncommon" they are???  LOL

And it IS a very common battery in this arena of scopes, red-dots, etc. ... it's a lightweight very battery (main reason why) that last a very long time (your "Common" batteries are not common in these type of things due to weight etc.)

Some people I swear.    
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone mentioned the Trijicon patents?

I believe Bindons original patent is 25 years old on the Tao1.

Optical gun sight patent number 4806007

So... Any company who wishes to manufacture an "acog" is free to do so though I believe tritium illumination and fiber optic illumination are covered under different patents.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Someone mentioned the Trijicon patents?

I believe Bindons original patent is 25 years old on the Tao1.

Optical gun sight patent number 4806007

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US4806007-2.png

So... Any company who wishes to manufacture an "acog" is free to do so though I believe tritium illumination and fiber optic illumination are covered under different patents.
View Quote

A 'AA' battery power source is practically superior though, especially as expensive as these are to remanufacture when the tritium dies. I've always thought that the TA02 was grossly overpriced (no tritium or FO, costs more than a comparable standard ACOG). An American-made ACOG clone powered by a AA? Yes please!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I wonder if trijicon has a patent somehow on the illumination mechanisms present on the TA02. Certainly not?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wonder if trijicon has a patent somehow on the illumination mechanisms present on the TA02. Certainly not?
View Quote

Vortex Razor glass with Aimpoint like electronics 4X light wt.....would be nice....even Viper glass
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#20]
anyone else have trigger time with these?

trying to see if I want to spend $300 on one of these or pony up some more cash and get an acog off the EE
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyhow... the middle dot is 2 MOA edge to edge. So at 200 yards it's a 2 inch radius.
View Quote

Uh, that would be a 4" radius, more or less.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Anyhow... the middle dot is 2 MOA edge to edge. So at 200 yards it's a 2 inch radius.

Actually 2" radius is correct. Diameter would be 4".

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course, you're right.  I've just never thought of group size in terms of radius.  Always diameter.  Trick question ;-)
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
anyone else have trigger time with these?

trying to see if I want to spend $300 on one of these or pony up some more cash and get an acog off the EE
View Quote

I have taken mine out to the range three times and I think it is a good scope.  I have ACOGs and I like the eye relief and the reticle on the PA scope better.

It seems to be solid made but only time will tell if it will hold up.   I suspect it will.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:20:27 AM EDT
[#26]
My 4x took a nasty tumble off a railing, fell straight on a hardwood deck, directly on the optic, at about a 45 degree angle (putting a lot of pressure on the ADM mount and the optic). There's a slight scuff along the horizontal edge, top of the optic (Scripto will take care of that). But, still works like the day I got it. With the ADM, I take it off and on, like its nothing. It dings the silohettes at 200 yds every time. Haven't tried groups yet... but that's good enough for me.

Though, I'm adding the Primary Arms Red-Dot Reflex Sight, soon as they can get it in a box and USPS delivers it.

Can't wait!

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Nothing compact about this scope. It's pretty bulky. I liked the PAC3X better aesthetically.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nothing compact about this scope. It's pretty bulky. I liked the PAC3X better aesthetically.
View Quote

Compare it to a standard 1-4x scope. It's the same size as a Trijicon ACOG at 1/4 the price. I'll agree about the asthetics part, the curves on the Burris AR-332/PA C3X body was more appealing, but the new 2.5x and 4x bodies aren't bad looking.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Dude thats exactly what I want to run on my rifle can you post pics of it and let know how it runs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

prism scopes are always going to be a bit bulky due to the (duh) prisms inside of it. More lenses equals more weight and bulk.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Aesthetics are a personal preference. The new scope (one on the left) weights less than a oz more. Also higher magnification.  The front threading is .4" longer to allow the killflash to thread all the way in. The better killflash fit, shorter mount to push the scope back were both done to address customer feedback on our 3X and other similar scopes in the market. We went to a single removable accessory rail again based on feedback.

It is comparable in size and weight to the two best know competing 3X scopes.  I think it looks pretty good and with the ACSS daylight visible retilce and the other changes based purely on function is in a entirely different league.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/4X3Xcompare_zps6c831989.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aesthetics are a personal preference. The new scope (one on the left) weights less than a oz more. Also higher magnification.  The front threading is .4" longer to allow the killflash to thread all the way in. The better killflash fit, shorter mount to push the scope back were both done to address customer feedback on our 3X and other similar scopes in the market. We went to a single removable accessory rail again based on feedback.

It is comparable in size and weight to the two best know competing 3X scopes.  I think it looks pretty good and with the ACSS daylight visible retilce and the other changes based purely on function is in a entirely different league.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/4X3Xcompare_zps6c831989.jpg

I appreciate the comparisons Marshall. Don't get me wrong, you guys provide some great optics for the money. But considering that a year ago your PAC3X was selling for $179 (not even on sale), I don't see so much value in your newer scopes given the extra weight Yes the reticule is better and glass is good. Glass was very good on the PAC3X also. I still have your new AA Gen 2 Red Dot Multi reticule sight and PAC3X, but I'm kind of bummed with constant price bumps on very similar performing optics that weigh more and discontinuing models.

And before anyone jumps on me being cheap...I do own a few ACOG and ECLAN scopes, so that's not even the issue. I'm just providing my own feedback as a customer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I just finished putting about 600 rounds through this optic over the last two days.
I have it mounted as a light machine gun/m27 Iaw optic on my prone bumpfire  rifle.
My round count was a mix of 100/200/300/400 yd shots on  paper and 2/3 Idpa steel and a 16 in circle steel at 400 and grouping bumpfire prone in 4/6 rnd groups at 50/100/200 yd on paper and steel.
All shooting was done prone from a Harris bipod, including bumpfire.
Ammo was wolf military classic.
All rounds fired suppressed with a gemtech halo

Optic is very nice for what it is.  I'm an acog guy and I get this optic.  I really like the idea behind the bdc layout and the wind holds.  With wolf the holds were on great at 100/200.  At 300 I had to use the 400 hash mark and at 400 it's a mix of a 500/550 hold - more on that.  I read the manual and did not zero an inch high (with wolf, I will probably try 2 in) for these two days, but will round 3.  The field of view is about 2/3 that of a ta31 acog, the eye relief is better than an acog, and the illum just cuts it in the tx sun at noon with sunglasses on at the highest setting.  The glass is pretty damn good and at 400 the target was not "hazy" or "soupy".

My issues with this optic fall into the not an acog area and have nothing to do with the optic, there just my issues.  it's heavy (not much to do to change that and keep the price point), I wish there was ambient light gathering ability and I want quick detach...The only real issue I had was the screws under it that hold it to the mount walked loose after about 200 rounds and the groups opened way up, duh.  I took it home, removed it and torqued the screws to as tight as possible without over torquing.  After about 200/250 rounds of bumpfire work I stopped to go shoot on the kd range.  The optic loosened up again slightly and I believe this affected my 300/ 400yd shooting, as instead of a 95% hit ratio I was tagging about 10%.  I went back and tried some 200 yd bump fire groups and was only getting one or two on a 16 inch plate in a 5 round group.  I'm pretty sure the bump fire is what is causing the problem so I red loctite the screws and hand tightened as much as possible.  
I will have to reconfirm a zero next time and will then try a +2 in 100yd zero with wolf and see how the bdc matches, I will also try some shoot house/ inside of 50yd work to get a feel for how this would play in 3 gun.  I will post back with those results also.
I presume that there is only one model and the multiple calibers work with the same bdc, my box did not indicate anything different, nor was there an option for 556 only when purchased.  Over all, it's a good optic and a worthy purchase and I dig what PA is doing.  If y'all ever want to test product, let me know and shoot me an non disclosure!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just finished putting about 600 rounds through this optic over the last two days.
I have it mounted as a light machine gun/m27 Iaw optic on my prone bumpfire  rifle.
My round count was a mix of 100/200/300/400 yd shots on  paper and 2/3 Idpa steel and a 16 in circle steel at 400 and grouping bumpfire prone in 4/6 rnd groups at 50/100/200 yd on paper and steel.
All shooting was done prone from a Harris bipod, including bumpfire.
Ammo was wolf military classic.
All rounds fired suppressed with a gemtech halo

Optic is very nice for what it is.  I'm an acog guy and I get this optic.  I really like the idea behind the bdc layout and the wind holds.  With wolf the holds were on great at 100/200.  At 300 I had to use the 400 hash mark and at 400 it's a mix of a 500/550 hold - more on that.  I read the manual and did not zero an inch high (with wolf, I will probably try 2 in) for these two days, but will round 3.  The field of view is about 2/3 that of a ta31 acog, the eye relief is better than an acog, and the illum just cuts it in the tx sun at noon with sunglasses on at the highest setting.  The glass is pretty damn good and at 400 the target was not "hazy" or "soupy".

My issues with this optic fall into the not an acog area and have nothing to do with the optic, there just my issues.  it's heavy (not much to do to change that and keep the price point), I wish there was ambient light gathering ability and I want quick detach...The only real issue I had was the screws under it that hold it to the mount walked loose after about 200 rounds and the groups opened way up, duh.  I took it home, removed it and torqued the screws to as tight as possible without over torquing.  After about 200/250 rounds of bumpfire work I stopped to go shoot on the kd range.  The optic loosened up again slightly and I believe this affected my 300/ 400yd shooting, as instead of a 95% hit ratio I was tagging about 10%.  I went back and tried some 200 yd bump fire groups and was only getting one or two on a 16 inch plate in a 5 round group.  I'm pretty sure the bump fire is what is causing the problem so I red loctite the screws and hand tightened as much as possible.  
I will have to reconfirm a zero next time and will then try a +2 in 100yd zero with wolf and see how the bdc matches, I will also try some shoot house/ inside of 50yd work to get a feel for how this would play in 3 gun.  I will post back with those results also.
I presume that there is only one model and the multiple calibers work with the same bdc, my box did not indicate anything different, nor was there an option for 556 only when purchased.  Over all, it's a good optic and a worthy purchase and I dig what PA is doing.  If y'all ever want to test product, let me know and shoot me an non disclosure!
View Quote

to be fair the directions do recommend red-loctite on those screws.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#37]

I appreciate the comparisons Marshall. Don't get me wrong, you guys provide some great optics for the money. But considering that a year ago your PAC3X was selling for $179 (not even on sale), I don't see so much value in your newer scopes given the extra weight Yes the reticule is better and glass is good. Glass was very good on the PAC3X also. I still have your new AA Gen 2 Red Dot Multi reticule sight and PAC3X, but I'm kind of bummed with constant price bumps on very similar performing optics that weigh more and discontinuing models.

And before anyone jumps on me being cheap...I do own a few ACOG and ECLAN scopes, so that's not even the issue. I'm just providing my own feedback as a customer.
View Quote

Before it was a Burris AR-332 with a cleaner reticule and without the Burris brand. Now its a completely new-engineered design with a new-engineered reticule pattern.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Back in stock you guys! Go get them!

Dimitri
View Quote

Dimitri, when will the 1-6x be back in stock?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#40]
PrimaryArms, do you happen to know how the dimensions of the Vortex Spitfire 3x compares to the 2.5x and 4x?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I dont really have an extensive review to add.  Just some pics of the 4X on my PTR-91A3R.

It certainly seems like a good scope with clear glass and a nice reticle.  The ADM mount is also a plus

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude thats exactly what I want to run on my rifle can you post pics of it and let know how it runs.

Are you referring to the 4X?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcp618VxceU&list=UUBGoBSft9CeEwH0eXJ3-Z8g

-Dimitri

It didnt qoute the guy. The 4x scope with a reflex on top
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Hit the range yesterday. Using a +2 in zero at 100 with wolf.  On at 100/400.  Rang steel like a champ.  If you are considering this or on the fence, pull the trigger.  I am very happy with this.

Any plans for different top of bdc patters, like just straight up cross hairs and all the range strata and wind markings?  That would be great for medium precision work!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Marshall/Dimitri,

I have one of your Red Dots and think it is a well made product, all of my friends enjoy shooting my rifle with it mounted and i have sold some red dots for you from their use alone. I am intested in the 4x, and have read from multiple sources that prism style scopes are typically much better for those of us with astigmatism. I was wondering if you had any reference to that in house, or from any shooters you know personally. I basically can't use the red dot i have due to my level of astigmatism even when corrected with lenses, and would hate to have to shelf another product. Thanks for the great service by the way, my account name with you is the same as here and I order from you fairly often. Thanks beforehand for any help sirs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Marshall/Dimitri,

I have one of your Red Dots and think it is a well made product, all of my friends enjoy shooting my rifle with it mounted and i have sold some red dots for you from their use alone. I am intested in the 4x, and have read from multiple sources that prism style scopes are typically much better for those of us with astigmatism. I was wondering if you had any reference to that in house, or from any shooters you know personally. I basically can't use the red dot i have due to my level of astigmatism even when corrected with lenses, and would hate to have to shelf another product. Thanks for the great service by the way, my account name with you is the same as here and I order from you fairly often. Thanks beforehand for any help sirs.
View Quote

magnified optics (prisms) help astigmatism because they act like glasses.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Marshall/Dimitri,

I thought it was because the picture/reticule was reflected off a lens close to the eye, and one was effectively looking at something a few inches away instead of a hundred yards.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top