BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/6/2014 2:25:45 AM EDT
Does anyone have VCOG? Any reticle pictures of it on #6 into a bright sunlit target area? The only pictures I can find of it do not expound on the illumination setting used.

Eyebox impressions?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#1]
they aren't available to the public yet to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My LGS had one. But...my LGS is about 180 miles from me. So I could not hands-on it today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Stickman's had or has one you might want to give him a shout....try his facebook page if he doesn't answer here
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Stickman's had or has one you might want to give him a shout....try his facebook page if he doesn't answer here
View Quote

I've already reached out to Stickman, but I want some opinions from those who are not affiliated with the industry.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

DSG Arms has them in stock...and on sale for $1499 this weekend
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Pat Rogers got one unsolicited a few months ago. He posted some pics of guys using them in his shoot house courses and said he'll be evaluating it over the next year using a variety of shooters to get a wide range of opinions on it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where'd you see them for $1499?  Their website lists them for $2300.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]
In their email newsletter. Must be a DSG website member, and it's for the segmented circle reticle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I want one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You have to log in to see sale prices

Quoted:
In their email newsletter. Must be a DSG website member, and it's for the segmented circle reticle.

Nope...all reticles

Plus an extra $20 off with code "20OFF300"
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the correction. They do have all 5.56 reticles on sale which is cool (no 7.62 though.) At $1500 these should start getting into the marketplace pretty quickly so maybe some of us will actually see one in person!

Quoted:

Nope...all reticles

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/23/2014 2:33:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm somewhat tempted to get one, at that price.  I have been in the market for a 1-6x for 3Gun stuff, but didn't want to spring for a Z6i, or other scopes in the 2K+ price range.  I just don't want to be a beta-tester.  I'm also curious as to the actual weight.  They list the weight as being "without the mount or battery".  23.5 oz. isn't too bad, by itself, compared to something like the Vortex Razor HDII.

Seems that only the 77 grain reticules are in stock.  Of course, that is what I would be using.  I just don't know whether the horseshoe, or segmented reticule would be preferable.  I suspect the horseshoe might show up better at 1x, for hosing stages.  I don't know if the clutter would be detrimental for distant targets, though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in for one at that price, but I'm in the same boat as the OP, the horseshoe is like an old friend from a lot of
years behind ACOG's, but on paper the segmented circle looks better, guess I'm taking a leap of faith.

Pat has the segmented circle, says if he were buying his own it would probably be the horseshoe just due to
familiarity but has no problem with the segmented circle either so that's not helping, segmented circle it is then.

I'll leave some feedback when I get some time behind it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pat Rogers got one unsolicited a few months ago. He posted some pics of guys using them in his shoot house courses and said he'll be evaluating it over the next year using a variety of shooters to get a wide range of opinions on it.
View Quote

I'm one of those guys right now. This is a great optic.

Steve Fisher has his horseshoe reticle VCOG here as well, I prefer it. Faster up close, and still performs at distance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does anyone have VCOG? Any reticle pictures of it on #6 into a bright sunlit target area? The only pictures I can find of it do not expound on the illumination setting used.

Eyebox impressions?
View Quote

Very generous eyebox, true 1X, the first FFP 1x reticle I've been happy with and found completely usable.

Not Aimpoint or MK6/MK8 bright, on 6 in bright daylight there's a dead band so to speak where it washes out slightly against a darker background. But still works and can be used very quickly. Overall a great optic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Very generous eyebox, true 1X, the first FFP 1x reticle I've been happy with and found completely usable.

Not Aimpoint or MK6/MK8 bright, on 6 in bright daylight there's a dead band so to speak where it washes out slightly against a darker background. But still works and can be used very quickly. Overall a great optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eyebox impressions?

I was hoping the VCOG illumination would not wash out.

Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn would have gotten one if there was a Horseshoe 55gr available.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eyebox impressions?

I wish it went to 7, it would probably be perfect.

But it's still fast and usable.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

LGS has one. played around with it a bit. Pretty cool for a FFP 1-6.

Heavy. Might buy one
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#21]
My VCOG arrived on Tuesday. Here's the initial impressions of it that I shared in another thread copy/pasted:

"My initial impressions are very high.

This is hands down the first variable 1-x optic that nails true 1x both eyes open usability IMO.

Mind you, I've only briefly had it mounted to a rifle, and only been able to mess around with it in my house and backyard thus far...but I have a big backyard.  

Illumination settings 3, 4, 5 and 6 vary from ideal for bright to low light to pitch black environments - to everything in between.

And I can't stress enough its usability with both eyes open on 1x. I truly do feel like I'm running an RDS on 1x. If it weren't for the eye relief (which is very generous and forgiving for a variable optic mind you), it essentially would be an RDS on 1x.

The glass isn't quite Mark 6 quality, but that's its sole negative thus far.

Range report to follow this Saturday."

"It's heavy.

It's not Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x heavy, but it's heavy.

And one thing to make note of in regards to the VCOG weight is that it ships with the Trijicon TA51 mount - just like a lot of ACOGs.

It doesn't utilize a traditional scope mount like its competitors.

With that said, the TA51 VCOG mount is only about 4 ounces, while the popular scope mounts from LaRue, Bobro, ADM, etc that are commonly used on similar scopes are around 7.5-8.5 ounces.

It's something to consider that makes the VCOGs weight not quite as hefty in comparison overall."

I'm looking forward to taking it out to the range this Saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My VCOG arrived on Tuesday. Here's the initial impressions of it that I shared in another thread copy/pasted:

"My initial impressions are very high.

This is hands down the first variable 1-x optic that nails true 1x both eyes open usability IMO.

Mind you, I've only briefly had it mounted to a rifle, and only been able to mess around with it in my house and backyard thus far...but I have a big backyard.  

Illumination settings 3, 4, 5 and 6 vary from ideal for bright to low light to pitch black environments - to everything in between.

And I can't stress enough its usability with both eyes open on 1x. I truly do feel like I'm running an RDS on 1x. If it weren't for the eye relief (which is very generous and forgiving for a variable optic mind you), it essentially would be an RDS on 1x.

The glass isn't quite Mark 6 quality, but that's its sole negative thus far.

Range report to follow this Saturday."

"It's heavy.

It's not Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x heavy, but it's heavy.

And one thing to make note of in regards to the VCOG weight is that it ships with the Trijicon TA51 mount - just like a lot of ACOGs.

It doesn't utilize a traditional scope mount like its competitors.

With that said, the TA51 VCOG mount is only about 4 ounces, while the popular scope mounts from LaRue, Bobro, ADM, etc that are commonly used on similar scopes are around 7.5-8.5 ounces.

It's something to consider that makes the VCOGs weight not quite as hefty in comparison overall."

I'm looking forward to taking it out to the range this Saturday afternoon.
View Quote
Which reticle?

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Steve Fisher has his horseshoe reticle VCOG here as well, I prefer it. Faster up close, and still performs at distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any idea which reticle Pat, and Steve prefer?

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine is the horseshoe reticle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Your review really makes me want to get one in 556 and 308.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Just wondering but why do you like the PST 1-4 reticle which is similar to the VCOGs segmented circle, but dont like the VCOG version?

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eyebox impressions?

Does this mean you like a FFP in 1-6 now?

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eyebox impressions?

Done right, yes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just wondering but why do you like the PST 1-4 reticle which is similar to the VCOGs segmented circle, but dont like the VCOG version?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say that I didn't like the VCOG segmented circle reticle.

What I did say is that I prefer the VCOG horseshoe reticle over it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a different thread you said the horseshoe is vastly superior so that lead me to believe you disliked the segmented circle?  

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In a different thread you said the horseshoe is vastly superior so that lead me to believe you disliked the segmented circle?    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're confusing my comments with one of eesmith's comments.

I did say the horseshoe is better in every aspect, but that's not saying the segmented circle is a bad reticle.

I'm such a fan of the VCOG, I'd take it in either reticle flavor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's a quote from eesmith in another thread:

"Ya know, it's not like the segmented circle is a bad reticle; it's just that the horseshoe is just clearly superior."

Sounds like that's what you're referencing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

"Ya know, it's not like the segmented circle is a bad reticle; it's just that the horseshoe is just clearly superior."
View Quote

yea your right.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:22:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
delete

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Why can't they make it with decent battery life? 715 hours is pretty bad considering what aimpoint achieved. That alone rules it out for me. I'd be happier with fiber optics llike the acog.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why can't they make it with decent battery life? 715 hours is pretty bad considering what aimpoint achieved. That alone rules it out for me. I'd be happier with fiber optics llike the acog.
View Quote

It's actually a great battery life when you compare it to ever other 1-X variable on the market.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
Battery life in scope technology is not quite there yet, but 715 is a lot vs other 1-4/1-6s out there. ACOGs have their drawbacks too as they wash out in different lighting conditions and different backgrounds.

Aimpoints are much simpler in design.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's actually a great battery life when you compare it to ever other 1-X variable on the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The one I used in alliance only lasted 110 hours on #6 for 98% of the time. It was a fresh Duracell, I don't know if it was a fluke or what.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The one I used in alliance only lasted 110 hours on #6 for 98% of the time. It was a fresh Duracell, I don't know if it was a fluke or what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lithium or alkaline?

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#40]
it is better than my leupy mark 4 but not what i hoped for.  still rather have fiber optic.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lithium or alkaline?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lithium or alkaline?  

Alkaline.  The 700 hours specifically mentions lithium!at #4, so think of it as an unfair stress test. Still thought it would last longer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Dang. The $1499 sale is over. I would have jumped on that!
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Which reticle on the VCOG would you guy's use if you were shooting primarily 62gr. ammo, the 55gr. or the 77gr.?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got me one today.

Is there a huge difference between grains? I had an offer I couldn't refuse and went for the 77gr. Is it VERY different from a 55 gr.?

I usually shoot 55 gr.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#45]
If I could afford a VCOG, a pack of lithium AA's every few months is not going to be a deal breaker for me... I know some like to leave their optic on for SHTF, but 700 hours is dang near a month. Just change the battery when you change your undies, every 3 weeks! (no harm intended)
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If I could afford a VCOG, a pack of lithium AA's every few months is not going to be a deal breaker for me... I know some like to leave their optic on for SHTF, but 700 hours is dang near a month. Just change the battery when you change your undies, every 3 weeks! (no harm intended)
View Quote

Advertised 700 hour battery life is at setting 4, the first non night vision setting.  I'd expect settings 5 & 6 to have SIGNIFICANTLY less battery life in real world applications...  Probably still a decent battery life, but probably not much better than other LPVs (50-100 hours)
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I just got me one today.

View Quote

Is there a huge difference between grains? I had an offer I couldn't refuse and went for the 77gr. Is it VERY different from a 55 gr.?

I usually shoot 55 gr.

Yes....

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got me one today.

I usually shoot 55 gr.

Yes....

Thanks. That's why then I was given this great offer. Oh well. Will try it for a while, if I see that I am aiming in a given spot and hitting too further away, will probably either change to 77gr or change optics.

Will post a pic later, it is a great optic anyhow
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I usually shoot 55 gr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got me one today.

I usually shoot 55 gr.

Yes....

Thanks. That's why then I was given this great offer. Oh well. Will try it for a while, if I see that I am aiming in a given spot and hitting too further away, will probably either change to 77gr or change optics.    

If you are shooting significant distance, you would want the 77gr bullets anyway.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got me one today.

I usually shoot 55 gr.

Yes....

If you are shooting significant distance, you would want the 77gr bullets anyway.

In all honesty, I usually go at the farthest 100 mtrs. Range thing.

Do you think at that distance the difference in reticles will be so different that my VCOG turns useless?

Should have phrased properly my statement as such from the start.

Then - and I'm learning from you right now - at other distances will just get me the 77grs.

Thanks much!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top