Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2014 5:59:52 PM EDT
I'd like to find out what scope power shooters are using for sub-moa target shooting with their AR15s.  I just finished building what should be an accurate AR15 with a good barrel, good bolt carrier, and a good trigger with a free float h/g.  I just test fired my rifle at 100 yards with my 1- 4x scope taken off my other AR15, and while my patterns were o.k., they were not as good as I would like.  Part of the problem is no doubt me, although I did shoot competitively on a small bore rifle team quite some time ago, so I know how to breathe and squeeze, but now my 61 year old eyes are a lot older. And yes, I know I need more practice!  I was bench resting the rifle on a plastic rest with a sand bag with me on the unsupported stock.  The ammo wasn't match grade ammo because I couldn't find any at the last minute before heading to the range. I didn't feel I was able to zero in on the target using the 4x power setting on my scope, but maybe it's my eyes. I'd like to know what power (I know , there will be a range of powers used) that would be good at 100 and 300 yards for my rifle.  I'm thinking of something in the 4-16x range unless a lot of shooters think a higher power would be better. I understand the problems associated with using a scope with too much magnification, so I don't want to over do it. Thanks, and sorry this is so lengthy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I would check out a 3-9x or a 4-14x
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If all you are doing with the gun is going for small ragged holes at 100+ yards, 9x is the least I would use.  Honestly 12x is a better place to start
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 2.5-10 vortex pst on an ar that's used for precision between 100 and 500. If all youre looking to do is make hits on steel 10x is plenty of magnification. 15x plus if you want to use it as a spotting scope aswell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're not hunting with it, may as well go toward the higher magnification ranges.  At least 4-16x.  I'd consider a 5-20x or 6-24x.

Clarity is also important.  Big difference between my Simmons and my Bushnell DMR, even with both set on 12x.

What's your budget?  There's a ton of options, but maybe someone can make a recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I know, I probably should be spending more, but my budget right now is about $1000.  I'm not hunting with this rifle, just trying to be as accurate as I can as a challenge to myself within the capabilities of the rifle and me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
SWFA super sniper, 10x or 12x fixed mag, $300-$400 depending on if you want side focus turrets.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know, I probably should be spending more, but my budget right now is about $1000.  I'm not hunting with this rifle, just trying to be as accurate as I can as a challenge to myself within the capabilities of the rifle and me.
View Quote

Nightforce SHV, 4-14x
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:42:16 AM EDT
[#8]
$1,000+ optics are largely unnecessary.  If your goal is simply marksmanship, there are many quality scopes in the range of $100-$150 that will by just as "accurate" as any $1,000 scope on the market. As long as they are built properly, the accuracy of optics isn't dictated by cost.  If you find 4x is too low for 100yds, a 4-16x would probably serve you well. Anything 12x or under and at 300yds would be like using a 4x at 100. :)
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#9]
It sounds like ammo and position are you problems, probably not scope magnification.  A great rifle is only as good as the ammo you feed it, and if you cant hold it steady and give it the type of consistent support it needs, more magnification wont help. Get a rear bag at minimum.  With crappy ammo you need to shoot a 5 or so shot group and zero the center of the group average.  If you're chasing individual shots expecting each to be dead center youre going to leave the range frustrated.

With the right target backdrop, a 4x can do it, but...  I prefer 16x for load development and groups.

9x is ok, 12x is good, 16x is comfortable. 20x+ isnt really my thing, but when combined with great glass it can help replace a spotting scope to see holes on paper at increasing distances.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#10]
It could be magnification is his problem, he said he has aging eyes. If he is holding rock solid with a perfect trigger break... But then he only thought he was holding it on the right spot because he cant make out the detail...groups open up
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Start with a less expensive 10x fixed scope? If it's bench work then why the variable power?

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Buying scopes correctly is all about knowing that is the
most important thing for you and what is "nice”.

For you, if you are mostly interested in
precision, then the most important thing is optical quality and
magnification.
 You can’t group well
unless you can see exactly what you are clearly aiming at.
 Yes, you can shoot very well even with irons
as long as the sight and target is matched i.e. you can see how well centered
you are, but with a scope, it’s all about placement of that cross hair on
exactly the spot you want to hit.
 I use
a NF NSX 8-32x  and can get sub-0.5MOA shots if I do my job
and my ammo is good.

Anyone who tells
you that is too much magnification should look at what the guys who set world
record uses, trust me its way stronger than 32x.
 Look for a Bench scope as they will be
cheaper than the tactical scope of the same power.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#13]
8-10x
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Start with a less expensive 10x fixed scope? If it's bench work then why the variable power?

View Quote

Just a thought.

I support this message.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#15]
My recommendation would be to decide how close you want to APPEAR to be to the target and then pick one of these fixed power scopes @ $299.

6x

10x

12x

20x

:)
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I have shot MOA to 300 at 10x with a bolt gun. That SWFA 10x was the scope I used. I have a vortex 2.5-10x in the EE right now that would also do the trick and it's nice and light for an AR.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
At a minium 6x!

SWFAs are nice but they are huge...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]
The SWFA is nice and he's right they are huge. And heavy, they can upset the balance of a lighter rifle. But for 300 smackers they are a great buy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

At a minium 6x!

View Quote

For 300 yards?

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For 300 yards?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At a minium 6x!

For 300 yards?

SWFAs come in 6, 10, 16, 20 powers. And more depending on what frame size you want.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#21]
The reticle style and width of the crosshairs or dot are also important.  Just to shoot at the bench, a 10x is excellent, so are 3-9x and .2.5-10x, provided you have fine cross hairs.  I have a nice Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm scope with a .3mil center dot in the crosshairs of similar width.  It is a great all purpose tactical scope, but the cross hairs and dot (.3mil is about 1" at 100 yards).

So, trying to shoot sub moa involves some element of guesswork when your aiming point is covered up by the reticle.  I can consistently shoot 1moa with that scope rifle combo, but no better.  If  I  put a 2.5-10x45mm Leupold LPS on the same rifle in QD mounts I can get down to .7 moa using the same match grade ammo,not because of the slightly higher magnification, but because the reticle crosshairs are much finer and allow me to see and hold on much smaller aiming point on the target.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
SWFAs come in 6, 10, 16, 20 powers. And more depending on what frame size you want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At a minium 6x!

For 300 yards?

I read that wrong anyway. I thought you said Maximum.

My bad.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you to all of you for your recommendations and advice. After a lot of online research this past weekend, I decided to go with a SWFA SS 12x.  I decided I don't really need a variable power scope for what I want to do, since I would usually be using the highest power while punching holes in paper at 100-300 yards, for the most part.  I almost got the 10x due to the number of people recommending that power, but due to my aging eyes and good feedback on the 12x, I went with the slightly higher magnification.  Now it's on to deciding  which mounts would be best.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'd like to find out what scope power shooters are using for sub-moa target shooting with their AR15s.  I just finished building what should be an accurate AR15 with a good barrel, good bolt carrier, and a good trigger with a free float h/g.  I just test fired my rifle at 100 yards with my 1- 4x scope taken off my other AR15, and while my patterns were o.k., they were not as good as I would like.  Part of the problem is no doubt me, although I did shoot competitively on a small bore rifle team quite some time ago, so I know how to breathe and squeeze, but now my 61 year old eyes are a lot older. And yes, I know I need more practice!  I was bench resting the rifle on a plastic rest with a sand bag with me on the unsupported stock.  The ammo wasn't match grade ammo because I couldn't find any at the last minute before heading to the range. I didn't feel I was able to zero in on the target using the 4x power setting on my scope, but maybe it's my eyes. I'd like to know what power (I know , there will be a range of powers used) that would be good at 100 and 300 yards for my rifle.  I'm thinking of something in the 4-16x range unless a lot of shooters think a higher power would be better. I understand the problems associated with using a scope with too much magnification, so I don't want to over do it. Thanks, and sorry this is so lengthy.
View Quote
For what your doing 4-16x is a good start with factory match ammo.

If you decide to load your own ammo, then I would get a 5-20x.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Thank you to all of you for your recommendations and advice. After a lot of online research this past weekend, I decided to go with a SWFA SS 12x.  I decided I don't really need a variable power scope for what I want to do, since I would usually be using the highest power while punching holes in paper at 100-300 yards, for the most part.  I almost got the 10x due to the number of people recommending that power, but due to my aging eyes and good feedback on the 12x, I went with the slightly higher magnification.  Now it's on to deciding  which mounts would be best.
View Quote
Aero Precision makes a great LW mount at 3 ounces.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice work on the SWFA 12x!

I don't know a whole lot in the world of scopes just yet.. but I do know if you look at the picture thread
90% of the photos are the LaRue Mount
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a 18X Leupold on my SPR-ish AR and at 100yards I would like more. You really can never have too much. If its cold or at least not hot where you shoot and mirage is not an issue go 32X or higher. If it is hot and mirage is an issue 25X is probably a decent limit.

ETA NM looks like OP already ordered. Should work well for ya.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nice work on the SWFA 12x!

I don't know a whole lot in the world of scopes just yet.. but I do know if you look at the picture thread
90% of the photos are the LaRue Mount
View Quote

Expensive tactical QD mounts are overkill on a benchrest gun IMHO. Plenty of cheaper fixed rings. Why take em off???
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#29]
OP has not told us whether he intends to keep the 12x on the scope for all purposes or whether he might also want a lower power scope or variable, or even a red dot, for other uses.  Switching to other optics is where QD really makes sense and makes one rifle suitable for many purposes.

If he intends to permanently mount the 12x, I agree that QD is a waste of money.  But if he wants to use multiple optics and have highly repeatable return to zero, now would be the time to plan ahead for that.  LaRue or ADM would be excellent choices.

Also, it should not be overlooked that LaRue does make very rugged non-QD mounts as well, although I'd probably lean toward the Leupold Mark 2 IMS for a permanent mount on an AR.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the LaRue quick release mount on my other AR which is primarily a tactical setup with a 1-4x scope.  I think it's a great mount.  I'm waiting for the 12x to arrive before deciding which mount to use so that I can see what's going to be needed for eye relief and positioning on the flattop. I can see myself getting another LaRue mount, but I was thinking of fixed mounts at this point.  With the nominal cost of the SS 12x, and depending on how it works out, I can always consider a higher magnification down the line.  My only problem is and always has been my desires exceed my ability to pay for them.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top