Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 8:41:25 AM EDT
Hello,
I have decided to get a Vortex Crossfire II, 4-12-40 for my AR. I need a good mount for a flat top. Any suggestions on a mount/rings or the scope? I would prefer QD but Im open to anything that is reasonably priced and good quality. Would this be a good choice for my 308 AR?

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Feedback on scope and suggestions for mount?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi there Huckleberry...I am new to the AR world,  just got my first one a few days ago and I am also getting a Vortex Crossfire II.....Hope someone can give us some insight to your question. All the research I have done via the web is leading me to a couple choices for a mount  but nether are QD....the two I am interested in are Nikon M-223 mount for $60  and Vortex cantilever mount for $90.....both @ opticsplanet.com   Hopefully someone can school us both a lil bit on the subject..
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've have a couple of M-223, one is the 20MOA model.

Both have worked for me with no problems, but I have only used them on 5.56 ARs, not .308.  I don't see why they shouldn't hold up with proper mounting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the Nikons but there are soooo... many choices.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Define your expectations. What is the max you want to spend? You say you'd like it to be QD, how strongly?  I would've gone with the Diamondback line for a .308 build but that's a personal preference. There is tons of great info in the tacked threads I'd suggest starting there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I am looking to keep scope/mount under $400.00, I only have one shot due to $ issues, so want to get it right the first time, QD is not super important but would be preferred, if I could find something I could use on my .233 and 308 AR would be a bonus. I have read too many posts and am a little overwhelmed...

Any suggestions for different set up would be welcomed, like I said one shot, want to get it right.

Thanks for the responses!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#7]
If most of your shooting is <= 500 yards, and you're not going to drag your rig through miles of brush, desert, or forest exposed to lots of abuse, then the crossfire with the M-223 should be fine.

Study mounting everything straight, even and secure, with no cant etc.  Don't be shy about undoing and redoing stuff a couple of times.  What seems like a mystery now will eventually be in your bag of common sense and duh, heh.....

I had a cheap Tasco setup on my AR for years that held up fine, and I just mounted it by feel and sight.  I still have not shot consistently better groups with my current more expensive gear than I did with that one, YMMV.

If you don't expect to do much snap-shot type field hunting with the rig, I would hold out and get the SWFA SS 10x for a few bucks (about $300 + shipping for one IIRC) more.  The glass is comparable to other popular brands in the $800-$1000 range IMAO.  It does need a 30mm mount, but the SWFA branded SSALT mount works great with it for about $60.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top