Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 9:49:16 AM EDT
After days of researching optics for a 16" 223 ar I had it narrowed down to a trs-25, vortex strikefire, or nikkon p223.

I kept reading about the PA 3x compact and really wanted to try one but found out PA doesnt offer them anymore.
I then found out the sig cp1 3x prismatic and all the other names of it that are in the title - are one and the same.

Most forums say they are chinese junk but really cant find a bad review of one besides early reviews of a canted reticle.

Ive seen hundreds of good reviews on amazon and sig forums so I ordered one for $125 shipped. I realize I could of just saved for a acog but it is what it is so please dont bash me for buying chinese garbage.

The question I have about this is something I cant find much info on.

It has to do with the BDC reticle system and what yardage to zero.
To my understanding the lines corespond to 100y increments going down from the center and the width of the bars can be used to guestimate a targets distance based off each bar representing the width of an average adult males shoulder width.

So if you was shooting at a man sized target you would find the bar thats width matches the targets width and use that for elevation compensation.

But at what yardage would you zero this scope at for this bdc system to work with standard 223 rounds? 100y?

Anyone have any real world experience with these scopes and results or suggestions for using the reticle bdc system?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Also wanted to add.....

I really like the 50y zero because the point of impact and flat trajectory is very close out to 200y. This is what I would of done if I got a red dot.

But with 3x magnification I would like to have longer distance abilities.

Im assuming a 100y zero is needed for this scopes bdc system to work.

So in theory if I zero at 100- all the other distances on the scope should work and be close.

But what about under 100y?

For under 50y ill probablly mount 45 degree offset irons.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The Primary Arms optics are made to Primary Arms' specification and quality control. While the body may be the same, I've owned the PA 3X and checked out the ebay special as well as the AIM Sports model and can verify they're a very different animal. Same for the Burris.

The PA 3X was a great little optic, and I look forward to their upcoming 4X with their ACSS horseshoe.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea, the aim sports one also sold under the name sniper looks similar but gets bad reviews.

This ones by sigtac, the same one sig sauer brands with there name and sells for $50 more. I know its still chinese but I cant find a single bad review. Once they fixed the canted reticle problem with the early ones all the reviews are possitive.

Im not saying its great or justifying a purchase but I would consider this the starting point for an entry level magnified optic for someone on a budget.

Im pretty impressed with it for the price, as long as it holds zero I'll be happy. The eye relief took a little adjusting to but im used to it now.

As for my original question, I think ill just stick with a 50y zero and keep it under 250y
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top