BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear about the ".Gov property" fiasco. I emailed them about getting the contacts in my battery housing fixed (which I'm more than glad to pay for, not asking for a freebie) and we had a back-and-forth about the "legitimacy" of the sight.

Haven't heard back since I sent them the S/N, but it would be cool to get a full refurb and keep the markings.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So everything is pretty much as I expected, the only original components left are the base, ARMS levers and battery compartment lever. I did not request replacement of the levers as they were not necessary on this unit.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/10469866505_b5665413a9_h.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5530/10469859515_277cb03c75_h.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7437/10469878025_239d73a7ad_h.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3687/10469856974_e4e6015b32_h.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5515/10469875506_f342de75ee_h.jpg

View Quote

My serial number is 50 before yours. Born the same month too. I'm glad just in case I need to send mine back.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I checked my CC statement today and I was double charged for my 553.  I will post back when and how this gets resolved.
View Quote

Lawguns was quick to reply to my email and told me that they did refund the money.  I contacted my CC company and they confirmed it was refunded, it just wasn't on my current bill.  I guess I jumped the gun about  posting any of this issue.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lawguns was quick to reply to my email and told me that they did refund the money.  I contacted my CC company and they confirmed it was refunded, it just wasn't on my current bill.  I guess I jumped the gun about  posting any of this issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I checked my CC statement today and I was double charged for my 553.  I will post back when and how this gets resolved.

refunds can take time to process, typically 10 business days is the accepted buffer.  probably just caught up between billing cycles is all.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So Gunny's Surplus ones are legit?  

nevermind, they're out of stock
View Quote

Yep, dude had horrible communication but I received mine in the end.  I got kinda worried after reading a bunch of horrible reviews, but I got it within a week and a half.

ETA:  Personally I'd never buy from him again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wouldn't hold your breath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm waiting on an m68 cco to come back into stock for my mk18 mod o build.

Anyone have an extra with a Wilcox mount?

why in God's green earth would someone WANT an m68?????  Have you ever had to actually use one?  LOL
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

why in God's green earth would someone WANT an m68?????  Have you ever had to actually use one?  LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

because then it looks "correct" and earns them arfcom internets.  you think most people here actually shoot their guns on a regular basis from anything other than a bench rest?  hell no...they buy all kinds of shit they think is great because it's "what the military uses" and takes pictures of it to post here and say "look what i got!!"

i have yet to interact with anyone in the .mil who actually put out the money to buy a personal M68...primarily because we all know better.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

because then it looks "correct" and earns them arfcom internets.  you think most people here actually shoot their guns on a regular basis from anything other than a bench rest?  hell no...they buy all kinds of shit they think is great because it's "what the military uses" and takes pictures of it to post here and say "look what i got!!"

i have yet to interact with anyone in the .mil who actually put out the money to buy a personal M68...primarily because we all know better.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
For $150, I'll rock the shit out of a 68.  People spend that much on a Primary Arms sight or some other shit airsoft part.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well put.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well put.

Definitely.  Been using an M68 on my work rifle for the past 6 years.  Have never owned a personal one.  Only Eotechs in the RDS department for me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Definitely.  Been using an M68 on my work rifle for the past 6 years.  Have never owned a personal one.  Only Eotechs in the RDS department for me.
View Quote

Until four 552's in a month or so die on you, sure....that's a way to go.  Hopefully the E/XPS series fixed their problems.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 2:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Until four 552's in a month or so die on you, sure....that's a way to go.  Hopefully the E/XPS series fixed their problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want us to believe the following:
1. you personally had 4 eotechs "die" on you in a "month or so" and
2. each one had a new battery in it when you started using it

come on....
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 3:04:55 AM EDT
[#13]
In 2010 in Diyala Province, I personally went through four unit issued 552 rev F Eotechs.  I was not the only one in the Troop or the Squadron with optic issues.  We had a tough box full of broken Eotech 552 and 551's.  This was with 2ID.  We came back from deployment and shitcanned them all for M4's.  These EO's already had a tour on them so they weren't new.  I've posted about this before.

I was using a T1 until I caught enough flack from the CSM and 1SG that I gave it up.  Each 552 had fresh batteries.  They were a combination of electrical problems and battery boxes.  At the time, the battery box issue wasn't as well known.  All we knew was the optics weren't cutting it.

I don't hate Eotech, I just don't trust them anymore.  Love the reticle, hate the QC.  I've heard the new E/XPS solved the battery box problem.  I'll find out in a month or so.

ETA:  All mechanical things break eventually, whether Aimpoint, Triji, EO, etc.  Our unit's optics had a pretty high failure rate...and no, I don't have a percentage.  As with anything, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In 2010 in Diyala Province, I personally went through four unit issued 552 rev F Eotechs.  I was not the only one in the Troop or the Squadron with optic issues.  We had a tough box full of broken Eotech 552 and 551's.  This was with 2ID.  We came back from deployment and shitcanned them all for M4's.  These EO's already had a tour on them so they weren't new.  I've posted about this before.

I was using a T1 until I caught enough flack from the CSM and 1SG that I gave it up.  Each 552 had fresh batteries.  They were a combination of electrical problems and battery boxes.  At the time, the battery box issue wasn't as well known.  All we knew was the optics weren't cutting it.

I don't hate Eotech, I just don't trust them anymore.  Love the reticle, hate the QC.  I've heard the new E/XPS solved the battery box problem.  I'll find out in a month or so.

ETA:  All mechanical things break eventually, whether Aimpoint, Triji, EO, etc.  Our unit's optics had a pretty high failure rate...and no, I don't have a percentage.  As with anything, YMMV.
View Quote

boom. there are alot of people who feel the m68 to eotech was a downgrade.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Can we keep this thread on-topic please?
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can we keep this thread on-topic please?
View Quote

The thread about used military M68's and EoTech's?
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#17]
In 2006, I had a TPE 552 on my 240.  Fucking loved it. L-o-v-e-d it.  But it had battery terminal issues and had to be taken off.  It was great while it lasted.  I wish we knew then what we know now about fixing them.

More on track with this thread...........

Found out a little while ago that my wife bought me one of these 553's after I mentioned it.  It appeared to have the disappearing reticle problem so I arranged with LE to return it.  Had her print off the UPS label and drop it off.....

Checking the tracking, UPS doesn't even register it entering their system past having LE create the label.  So I have a $340 optic floating around and I'm going to have to eat the money.  Not very cool.  Not very cool at all.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep, dude had horrible communication but I received mine in the end.  I got kinda worried after reading a bunch of horrible reviews, but I got it within a week and a half.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What sort of communication difficulties did you have? Did you call to order?  I just ordered online on a Sunday night or Monday and received that following Saturday by FedEx.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#19]
no, the thread about Used Optics FROM Law-Guns
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Laws sold both m68 and eotech 553s.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who exactly is it that used these particular optics? What type of optics are they?
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.
Did you read a few posts up where the posters are getting into a pissing contest over which is better EOTech vs. Aimpoint Yeah, this isn't that kind of thread. There are plenty of those out there. This is discussing the optics and reliability of USED  mil optics from LAW-Guns and their warranty or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you think they will get any more back in. Has any one contacted them asking where they got them?
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What sort of communication difficulties did you have? Did you call to order?  I just ordered online on a Sunday night or Monday and received that following Saturday by FedEx.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After reading the horrible reviews and seeing my order status as "awaiting review" I placed two phone calls with voicemails  and sent three emails with no response.  Also didn't receive tracking information or anything, package just showed up about a week and ahalf later.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by most other online companies who at least offer tracking, but I will never do business with gunnysurplus again.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Any news on the guy who send his back for repairs?
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 4:44:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Anybody hear back from gunny surplus ?  They are not responding to emails or calls
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Okay, fellas, here's an update with my situation. To foretell results, it isn't good.

I was given a RMA to return my sight with a credit card authorization form and the understanding that it would be refurbished for $159. My sight arrived to them 10/22/2013 via FedEx.

After not getting a response for over two weeks, I sent an email to their CS department (my original contact has not responded, possibly due to they fact that they are closed every other Friday).

I finally got an email response today. They stated "[i]t has been determined that this unit is likely a military sight. As such, EOTech has been instructed to return the unit to the Department of Defense. Please do not forward further payment information for repair." So, there goes that $340. I suppose it was a risk, but fellas like asmig should consider themselves lucky.

But, it gets better.

Starting on 10/23/2013, my credit card showed several (small) unauthorized charges, one of which came from a retail store not more than 35 miles from the EOTech repair facility in Ann Arbor.

While I can't really offer much in the way of explaining their inconsistent reasoning for choosing to fix some of these sights and not others, I can say that one should use caution sending them a written credit card authorization form (it basically requires all of your info). While I do not believe L-3/EOTech are fraudsters, I certainly suspect someone who got their hands on my sight is less than scrupulous.

So, if you got a law-guns sight, enjoy it as is and do not bother sending it in for repair. I wish I would have done the same, but I knew the risks and will sleep in the bed I made.

ETA: I still like my EOTechs and Insight lights. My beef is with law-guns. I guess this is a good reason to skip the 553 and just get an EXPS3-0TAN, but that is going to be one pricey optic.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anybody hear back from gunny surplus ?  They are not responding to emails or calls
View Quote

I received mine after about a week and a half from the date of purchase.  I read the horrible reviews and attempted contact multiple times via email and phone with no response from either.  Definitely not a company I would do business with again.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Any issues with the sights from Gunny's ?  Or is it same story as law-guns ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Okay, fellas, here's an update with my situation. To foretell results, it isn't good.

I was given a RMA to return my sight with a credit card authorization form and the understanding that it would be refurbished for $159. My sight arrived to them 10/22/2013 via FedEx.

After not getting a response for over two weeks, I sent an email to their CS department (my original contact has not responded, possibly due to they fact that they are closed every other Friday).

I finally got an email response today. They stated "[i]t has been determined that this unit is likely a military sight. As such, EOTech has been instructed to return the unit to the Department of Defense. Please do not forward further payment information for repair." So, there goes that $340. I suppose it was a risk, but fellas like asmig should consider themselves lucky.

But, it gets better.

Starting on 10/23/2013, my credit card showed several (small) unauthorized charges, one of which came from a retail store not more than 35 miles from the EOTech repair facility in Ann Arbor.

While I can't really offer much in the way of explaining their inconsistent reasoning for choosing to fix some of these sights and not others, I can say that one should use caution sending them a written credit card authorization form (it basically requires all of your info). While I do not believe L-3/EOTech are fraudsters, I certainly suspect someone who got their hands on my sight is less than scrupulous.

So, if you got a law-guns sight, enjoy it as is and do not bother sending it in for repair. I wish I would have done the same, but I knew the risks and will sleep in the bed I made.

ETA: I still like my EOTechs and Insight lights. My beef is with law-guns. I guess this is a good reason to skip the 553 and just get an EXPS3-0TAN, but that is going to be one pricey optic.
View Quote

I'm wondering if your credit card company can help assist in refunding the lost $$ buying unknown to you "stolen goods".
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any issues with the sights from Gunny's ?  Or is it same story as law-guns ?
View Quote

Mine is almost exactly the same as the sight I received from Law Guns, however, the Gunnysurplus one I got was manufactured in 2006 and the LG 553 was manufactured in 2009.

ETA:  They are both SU-233 marked and function flawlessly.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if your credit card company can help assist in refunding the lost $$ buying unknown to you "stolen goods".
View Quote

I had that idea, too. I mean, ultimately LG should be footing the bill, not my CC company. It's a tricky situation since, if one is going to claim the property as "stolen," one typically needs things like police reports. Of course, with the Internet it's pretty costless to initiate a chargeback request, with the worst case scenario being the once I'm currently in.

I probably won't push it too much other than complaining to EOTech about the credit card misuse and the inconsistency demonstrated in dealing with these sights. I just hope that sharing my experience will save others a headache and potentially their money.

The worst part is the old bait-and-switch given by the person issuing me a RMA, if they indeed knew this would be the outcome prior to me sending the optic. I thought they would just say that it has been determined that I was in possession of mil property and to a) hide my dog(s) and b) await DoD contact.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I have read all the other posts about drmo Etc etc etc

This is from a reputable dealer !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331060403318

Notice the big statement
"DRMO Military surplus and cleared by the DOD for sale to the public"
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have read all the other posts about drmo Etc etc etc

This is from a reputable dealer !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331060403318

Notice the big statement
"DRMO Military surplus and cleared by the DOD for sale to the public"
View Quote

Call BAE and run the SN. Good luck with that. Everybody thinks they are gonna be the exception.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#35]
IF (and only supposition) there was someone shady at EOtech that sole your CC #, maybe the same person stole your 553. They tell you they are sending it back to DOD, but instead keep it and sell it on ebay. They figure nobody is going to do much complaining out of fear of the DOD or whatever agency coming down on them for buying "stolen military property".

Wild conspiracy theory, but what the hell.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
IF (and only supposition) there was someone shady at EOtech that sole your CC #, maybe the same person stole your 553. They tell you they are sending it back to DOD, but instead keep it and sell it on ebay. They figure nobody is going to do much complaining out of fear of the DOD or whatever agency coming down on them for buying "stolen military property".

Wild conspiracy theory, but what the hell.

View Quote

My proof about the CC charges is circumstantial, but pretty suggestive. The charges weren't for more than $15, but it does make me hesitant to send them any payment info should any of my numerous L-3/EOTech items need service.

I do not believe my 553 was stolen by an employee. Everything points to EOTech just doing what they are supposed to. Despite my bitchiness, the L-3/EOTech person who deals with this issue has been courteous and professional, and has been more than responsive to my emails. It's not their fault this is going on.

I will still buy EOTech products. Now I'm just hoping a CC chargeback will work so I can get an EXPS.

If not, I assumed some risk and came out in the red. It's not the end of the world, but it does suck.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Still, it doesn't make much sense why one would get repaired and returned, but another gets confiscated by L3.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Maybe some of these optics came from different funding sources? Maybe a unit was issued some 553's, but needed more of them, so the remainder get bought on unit funds, from a vendor. The Eotechs get used and mixed up in the armory. The ones bought by big-government are all from a block of serial numbers known to L3 as gov't property, the unit purchased ones from a vendor woild only have that vendor as the initial point of sale.

Just a guess.

Quoted:
Still, it doesn't make much sense why one would get repaired and returned, but another gets confiscated by L3.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow! What a mess flex. I wouldn't drop this with EOTech or Law Guns. Someone owes you a refund or a new sight.

If the sight was truly stolen Mil property then Law Guns needs to make that right. If Law Guns has properlly cleared sights, then EOTech messed up. Someone either messed up or someone committed a crime. Also contact your card issuer and file a fraud complaint. If it wasn't a cleared sight that sure sounds like fraud to me, you might be able to wrangle a refund threw your card issuer. I know with my CC I can get a refund simply because I'm not happy with my purchase.

Have you contacted Law Guns about any of this to find out why EOTech is telling you they sold you stolen military property? If there stance is that its not stolen, then they need to get on the phone 3-way with you and work things out with EOTech...

Although I heard they got broken into... Is there a chance that really the military came and snatched up the stolen property?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#40]
cmc, dispute the cc charge from law guns with the basis that it was "stolen" property that was sold to you. show the cc an email from L-3 as stating as such.

what do you have to lose?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn Flex this is crazy...Its freaking me out because I purchased one as well....
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
cmc, dispute the cc charge from law guns with the basis that it was "stolen" property that was sold to you. show the cc an email from L-3 as stating as such.

View Quote

AMEX is investigating it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is Laws Guns saying about all this? Are they claiming the sights are all legit DRMO?

And what happened to the whole "we got broken into" thing? Was that bullshit?

This whole thing is nuckin futs. I feel for you Flex. This blows.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#44]
No further info for gunnyssurplus ?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#45]
So glad I bought an XPS2-0 for $450 shipped instead of going with this cluster of F***s. Feel bad for everyone that had to deal with this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Although I heard they got broken into... Is there a chance that really the military came and snatched up the stolen property?
View Quote

If that was the case they would have seized sales records as well and people would have had knocks on their door by now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
  What is Laws Guns saying about all this? Are they claiming the sights are all legit DRMO?
And what happened to the whole "we got broken into" thing? Was that bullshit?

This whole thing is nuckin futs. I feel for you Flex. This blows.
View Quote

They are sorry that it happened and are awaiting the results of an investigation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#48]
A seller on gunbroker has 7 eotech listed right now .
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#49]
DHS?
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm VERY interested in what Law Guns has to say about this as well, esp since I bought one of their 553s. I'm wondering if I should possibly start a claim with my CC company since I obviously got something that is "hot".
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top