Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2013 10:18:34 PM EDT
well I bought a second exps too give it another try, same result. reticle looks shitty with my astigmatism and that sucks cause I love the exps. it looks good if I wear my contacts but I cant stand wearing them they start aggervating my eye after a day or two and are a pain too get in. I guess I will try a 1-4 next, anyone have suggestions on a good one for 500 dollar range. is the pst 1-4 similar or should I try a luepold prismatic since I hear they look better. I love the red dots but im really just wanting something that I can see the reticle and not a bunch of clusters or commas. .
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I was in the same situation as you are. Every EOTech I looked through was horrible. I didn't know at the time I had an astigmatism, I just thought that's how they looked! I had no idea why so many people liked them. Anyways later on I bought my first red dot, a SPARC, and thought there was something wrong with it. The dot was misshapen. I read up on the Vortex website and realized by rotating the optic that it was my eyes and not the sight. I sold it and decided to get a 1-4X as I've never had a problem with regular scopes including ones with lit reticles. My price range was the same as yours. After reading up a bunch and looking at various 1-4X scopes I decided on the Viper PST. I couldn't be any happier with my choice. It's crystal clear and the reticle looks crisp and precise. I've never shot so accurately with an AR before. It's a great scope. I can't think of one negative about it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was in the same situation as you are. Every EOTech I looked through was horrible. I didn't know at the time I had an astigmatism, I just thought that's how they looked! I had no idea why so many people liked them. Anyways later on I bought my first red dot, a SPARC, and thought there was something wrong with it. The dot was misshapen. I read up on the Vortex website and realized by rotating the optic that it was my eyes and not the sight. I sold it and decided to get a 1-4X as I've never had a problem with regular scopes including ones with lit reticles. My price range was the same as yours. After reading up a bunch and looking at various 1-4X scopes I decided on the Viper PST. I couldn't be any happier with my choice. It's crystal clear and the reticle looks crisp and precise. I've never shot so accurately with an AR before. It's a great scope. I can't think of one negative about it.

thanks that helped with the pst im looking closely at it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I used this set up last weekend and it changed the dot back to normal with use of the magnifier

Aimpoint PRO
PA 3x LER magnifier

Blurred dot w/o the magnifier, perfect circle with use of the magnifier
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel your pain brother.....I went to a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4X Patrol SPR Firedot scope, LaRue LT104 mount, shooting is way more fun now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Tagged! I've got it too!
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
3x acog?

1.5x-4x variable.   or 1-4x variable.

all eyes are dif.    best bet is to find a retailer who has a lot of stock and look thru as many as you can.

or make a lot of friends and shoot their stuff at the range.

i have a small astigmatism.   eotechs look worse than aimpoints.

my aimpoint comp m2 looks like 3 small dots overlapping.  its worse at higher brightness settings.

when i wear glasses, it clears right up.

also, when i flip the rear BUIS into position, the dot clears up.

i also have a weaver 1-3x20 scope and the picture is beautiful at 1x.   much clearer than using just my eyes.   when i move the magnification ever so slightly, i would guess to 1.25-1.5x ... it gets VERY BRIGHT.

i experienced the same when i looked thru a 1.25x-4x leupold and the 1-4x burris mtac.

my eyes are like 20/30-20/35

when i wear glasses they get down to almost 20/15

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#7]
German #4 type reticle with a rheostat controlled illuminated dot or circle dot type reticle. (Leupold VX-R or CQT) -you can adjust the brightness of the dot
and lessen its fuzzy look....I would say this is my favorite scope in regards to low power....lit center dot reticle....least amount of astigmatism affect.

The #4 crosshairs are plenty thick enough to be used in low light....turn on the center dot and its pretty much perfect -for me-

I have a Trijicon TA44SG green circle dot and the circle on this has a slight halo unless I wear glasses.

The Trijicon Accupoint 1.24-4 works well also the view of the green triangle is not blurry.

I have heard good things about the Leupy Prismatic and want to try one of those and the Leupy 1-3 CQT circle dot also sounds like a good set up for folks
with astigmatism

Simple = better...imo
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I could have written the OP as it is so much my situation too! I cannot use Eotechs and even my Aimpoints are a little "starburst" looking. Same problem with street lights at night... time for an RK surgery.

The Leupold Prismatic is a great optic, I have two, one with each reticle. I prefer the "double circle dot" reticle over the "Circle Plex" reticle, but they're both very nice. No starbursting, bright glass, true 1x.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the same problem.

I tried a Lucid red dot from a buddy of mine.

Seems to be OK, am gonna get one soon to try more.

Lucid

optics planet

IMHO YMMV

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: I love the red dots but im really just wanting something that I can see the reticle and not a bunch of clusters or commas. .

have you had teh chance to look through a Mepro M21?  I have minor astig., so know what you're seeing in red dots.  The M21 reticles are crystal clear to me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I feel your pain brother.....I went to a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4X Patrol SPR Firedot scope, LaRue LT104 mount, shooting is way more fun now.

im actually looking at a zombie verson of one of these I have heard great things on them. how is the glass and hows the weight is it real heavy like the tr24g.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an Aimpoint Micro and a Pro.

As long as I use a low power setting I don't get the "star" dot pattern due to my astigmatism.

The Eotech is a mess to my eyes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#14]
One thing to do is when you go in for an eye exam is take your sight in with you...show it to the eye doc and then draw a pic for him of how you see that dot
let him look through it...

It was interesting comparing astigmatism with my eye doc we saw completely different aberrations of the same dot...this helped him tailor my eye script better.

That was a few years back and its time to get another exam and a different script so I will take my optics in with me again.

For me heavy cross hairs and a small illuminated dot in the center works out the best....seems like there are a lot of variations on the intensity and patterns
astigmatism produces in individuals....simply there is no one cure for all...
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

im actually looking at a zombie verson of one of these I have heard great things on them. how is the glass and hows the weight is it real heavy like the tr24g.

The glass is very good in my opinion, weighs 11.5 oz., that's why I went with it also. I do not know how much the TR24G weighs?  As far as I can tell it's one of the very lightest ones out there.  I also like the reticle.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Set up your system to do an absolute cowitness, irons to dot. Sight the dot through the irons. It will clear up the fuzzy image.

This. You can still do quick hits with the blurred dot, and just fip up your BUIS small aperature when you need the accuracy of a perfect dot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The glass is very good in my opinion, weighs 11.5 oz., that's why I went with it also. I do not know how much the TR24G weighs?  As far as I can tell it's one of the very lightest ones out there.  I also like the reticle.

MyTR24G weighs 15.0 Oz with the scope caps on
My VX-R  1.24-4X Firedot 4 with capped turrets weighs 11.5 Oz
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
well I bought a second exps too give it another try, same result. reticle looks shitty with my astigmatism and that sucks cause I love the exps. it looks good if I wear my contacts but I cant stand wearing them they start aggervating my eye after a day or two and are a pain too get in. I guess I will try a 1-4 next, anyone have suggestions on a good one for 500 dollar range. is the pst 1-4 similar or should I try a luepold prismatic since I hear they look better. I love the red dots but im really just wanting something that I can see the reticle and not a bunch of clusters or commas. .

Leupold Prismatic is the best I've found in that price range.  With the diopter adjustment set correctly the reticle looks sharp.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks guys im thinking about throwing the exps on the EE and getting a vxr1-4 or a prismatic. I think I want the VXR only thing is gonna suck dishing out extra cash for that LT mount.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Set up your system to do an absolute cowitness, irons to dot. Sight the dot through the irons. It will clear up the fuzzy image.

+1 or you could give the 1.5 mini ACOGS a look, but there over 500$.

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the TA44SG and the green circle and dot have halos around them...

I am selling off a couple of my Micro Aimpoints in order to buy a Leupold Prismatic next....I will keep one of the Micro Aimpoints for the shotgun
just wish the cluster pattern I see matched up with the shotties pattern

Although the best I have seen so far is with a simple set of heavy cross hairs with a small illuminated dot in the center as on the Leupy VX-R Firedot #4
(would prefer it had a rheostat like the Aimpoint for illumination adjustment)
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is what I'm doing for anything from 100 and beyond. Got the idea from another time when Lancelot posted this idea.

Thanks Lance

I have the astigmatism too, and have gone through 4 different optics, while still missing having my favorite EXPS the whole time. I tried two 1-4 variables. The added bulk, and weight was not for me. I went back to trying a red dot again, and got a T-1 2moa and was still being driven nuts with the slash instead of a dot

Got rid of that one, and got a TA33, and was quite happy with that for a while, but I still was missing the EXPS + 3x, and the T-1 the whole time. I just simply like red dots, because of the close in and far distance versatility they bring. YMMV.

Sold off the 1-4x and mount, and sold the TA33, and went back to a EXPS 3-2 with a G33 3x, and I am using Lancelot's method now when I need to zero or get hits further out. When I use the 3x mag the dots are pretty normal with it.

I am both an Aimpoint, and Eotech fanboy, so I'm planning on getting another T-1 for my other AR.

So, to OP- if you are really still wanting to make the red dot's work for you, Lancelot's idea isn't a bad idea to try if you end up not liking the 1-4x route.

Hope I don't confuse you will all my gibberish.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried the co witness cause I run troys flip ups front and rear it helps some I just cant stand the fact that I have use my BUIS with my red dot like that. I cant get on target as fast as I can with just the reticle. I guess im gonna try my luck on one of these VXR 1-4 by LUEPOLD. the only other 1-4 I had was a TR24G and it looked pretty good just hated the added weight.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I think you will be very happy with the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4X SPR Firedot reticle.  I know I am, even though the lower setting is not a 1x I'm still able to shoot with both eyes open, same as my with my Aimpoint T1.  Try to get a decent mount for it, LaRue, Bobro, etc.  I went with the LaRue LT104 QD and really like the combination.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
OP
You will be happy with the Leupold VXR. The glass is outstanding.
That is one of the 1-4's I had tried.  

For me it was almost as fast as my T-1 or Eotech was with it set on 1.5x, but not quite as fast. What I didn't like was there was no way to shoot from awkward positions like supine prone, and others + the bulkiness and added weight was the deal breaker for me, but if you never plan on doing that kind of shooting anyway, you will love the VXR 1-4.

Link Posted: 5/19/2013 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted: I love the red dots but im really just wanting something that I can see the reticle and not a bunch of clusters or commas. .

have you had teh chance to look through a Mepro M21?  I have minor astig., so know what you're seeing in red dots.  The M21 reticles are crystal clear to me.

+1.
Tomac

Link Posted: 5/19/2013 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not me. I saw two offset triangles so I sold it here rather than give Hinterland a 15% restocking fee.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I can't use an EOTech, but with the C-More sight, the dot is perfect.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Pretty much! 600 yard shots are easy and you also get the low end for close work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I could have written the OP as it is so much my situation too! I cannot use Eotechs and even my Aimpoints are a little "starburst" looking. Same problem with street lights at night... time for an RK surgery.

The Leupold Prismatic is a great optic, I have two, one with each reticle. I prefer the "double circle dot" reticle over the "Circle Plex" reticle, but they're both very nice. No starbursting, bright glass, true 1x.

I am looking to aquire one of these Leupy Prismatics and decided on the double circle dot.....I see that Leupold has a NWTF Dark Earth version wondering if there
is any difference between these and the other non NWTF versions other than Dark Earth color?

Leupy Prismatic Versions snipped from Bear Basin's site

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Leupold Prismatic is the best I've found in that price range.  With the diopter adjustment set correctly the reticle looks sharp.

That's what I decided on for my astigmatism. It's a great sight, and is nearly as fast as a red dot.

Another option for everyone here is the EOtech XPS2-1 with the single 1moa dot. It is still distorted to me, but being so small it's not too bad.

Link Posted: 5/20/2013 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Tomac

Is there anything different about the Mepro sight from regular red dots that would make it clearer?

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:04:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.
Tomac

Is there anything different about the Mepro sight from regular red dots that would make it clearer?

I haven't been able to find a technical reason for this, my SWAG is that the total image distance from emitter to eye is greater w/the M21 than w/RDS' (ie: from emitter to lens back to eye). Both the Bullseye and Triangle reticles are clear and crisp to me whereas Eotech/Aimpoint reticles are distorted.
Tomac

ETA: The Leupold Prismatic is great for correcting astigmatism distortion but it does have parallax and a more restricted eyebox (I'd suggest replacing the factory mount).

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top