Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2012 9:33:20 AM EDT
I have had the scope for about two weeks and needed to wait on the LaRue mount. Came last week with more dillo crack and a sniper competition DVD.

ANYWAYS... I have never had a scope or shot a magnified optic (other than my PA 3x on my EoTech). Seems pretty good, the only thing I found is the elevation turret is not able to line up exactly with the zero line, it seems to be off a hair (literally only by an 1/8 of a click). But, I am not to concerned. This might be user correctable but, again, not worried about it enough to care... Glass seemed clear enough to me (having never used a better scope I might just not know any better). I have no real plans just wanted to challenge myself with some longer shots just to test myself.

The Scope and mount:

My first target non-plinking target:

It is at 100yds with my 55gr Remington reloads. I did use sand bags for a rest. The center "dot" is quarter sized. I am happy considering these are me first few long range (longer than 50yds on the EoTech). I did manage one flyer but hey, I am still happy. Seems like a I might need to practice a bit more and possibly adjust the zero a bit more but I had run out of free time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Doc, I think trying out some different ammo, especially different bullet weight's will improve your accuracy.
Also, and this will help significantly if you really start shooting longer distances, Check out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic's Program.
You can enter your scope, cal., and ammo to get accurate reading's of your BDC circles.

I hope you were able to take advantage of the Promo. going on right now for BDC reticle scopes as well?

Nice rig, quality mount, great pics!

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, the 55gr is my plinking load for the shorter range stuff. I think a heavier load would be better for me if I am to push out to further ranges. I did also send in my rebate, I'll take $30. I did throw some number into the spot on program. I need to chrono my load to get an actual speed v my made up number but it seems very cool.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the turrets resettable? You might be able to get the graduations to line up with the index.

My Trijicon TR23 is infinitely adjustable (the turret knob is not splined) so it can be lined up perfectly.

Other scopes I have (Bushnell Tactical Elite, Simmons 44 Mag) with resettable turrets have splines, so if the index doesn't line up, it is misaligned regardless of where you put the knob on.

If it's pretty close, forget about it.

When I started shooting with magnified optics, all of my bad practices became obvious. Breathing, how I held the rifle, squeezing the trigger until it releases... I can see the effects of all of those watching the reticle move around on the target when I'm trying to hold steady.

It took several months of this to be able to shoot a sub MOA group, and I've only shot 3 5 shot groups (yeah I know) out of the hundreds I've tried.

If your first group was dime sized there'd be no reason to go back...

Joe

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are the turrets resettable?

Yes.

Loving my 3X P223 Carbine scope that I got for a SBR 22LR upper.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are the turrets resettable?

Yes.

Loving my 3X P223 Carbine scope that I got for a SBR 22LR upper.

Yeah, as said they are resetable but they are splined so they are what they are I guess. I think I am needing to work on my use of the rest. I did find I was sometimes fighting with keeping everything steady. But like said I am sure as I practice I will improve.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top