Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2012 7:52:33 PM EDT
Looking to add optics to my ddm4v7 (first AR). I will primarily be shooting 100 yard range shots but would like the ability to shoot up to 300.  The longer range is pretty far away.  There is a public tactical range that I may also frequent but not too often. I need good eye relief due to not so great eyes and glasses. I have spent some time looking at various options and have come down to the following (of course open to suggestions) I am trying to stay under 450 all in. I desire illumination but not sure if that is more for hype. I doubt I will be shooting at night but the range has a baffled ceiling (although it is outdoors) so light could be questionable. I have shot an aimpoint and thought the redot was too large for my eyes.  

1. Nikon m223 3-12x42  I like the scope and so far is #1 choice; seems like i really cant go wrong.
2. Millet TRS 4-16x50 Has all the features but I have not been able to locate locally to get a feel for it.  Great reviews and was recently purchased by Bushnell. Concerned about quality?

Now the Budget breakers:

1. Trijicon TR22 2.5-10x56.  Really like the feel but not sure if it is worth spending the dollars for what I plan on doing particularly if I am not shooting in "low" light situations.
2. Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44. Again really liked the feel but not sure about the extra price. Also, what is the difference between the non FFP and the FFP?

Lastly the budget saver:
AIM Sports Tactical Recon scope  Mixed reviews but strangely enough I was able to hold it at a local gun show and it had a nice view. Just not sure it would hold up and I dont want to waste dollars.  

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the aim sport great scope for chinese crap use some good rings and then you will be fine( bad illumination) I like the leupold AR series looking into them or if you want to strecth your budget a VXR is really nice scope for the money!
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Im in the same boat. Ive been looking at the primary arms 3x compact scope.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#3]
If you decide you can live without illumination, this is an excellent scope for the coin:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/weaver-tactical-grand-slam-rifle-scope-3-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking to add optics to my ddm4v7 (first AR). I will primarily be shooting 100 yard range shots but would like the ability to shoot up to 300.  The longer range is pretty far away.  There is a public tactical range that I may also frequent but not too often. I need good eye relief due to not so great eyes and glasses. I have spent some time looking at various options and have come down to the following (of course open to suggestions) I am trying to stay under 450 all in. I desire illumination but not sure if that is more for hype. I doubt I will be shooting at night but the range has a baffled ceiling (although it is outdoors) so light could be questionable. I have shot an aimpoint and thought the redot was too large for my eyes.  

1. Nikon m223 3-12x42  I like the scope and so far is #1 choice; seems like i really cant go wrong.
2. Millet TRS 4-16x50 Has all the features but I have not been able to locate locally to get a feel for it.  Great reviews and was recently purchased by Bushnell. Concerned about quality?

Now the Budget breakers:

1. Trijicon TR22 2.5-10x56.  Really like the feel but not sure if it is worth spending the dollars for what I plan on doing particularly if I am not shooting in "low" light situations.
2. Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44. Again really liked the feel but not sure about the extra price. Also, what is the difference between the non FFP and the FFP?

Lastly the budget saver:
AIM Sports Tactical Recon scope  Mixed reviews but strangely enough I was able to hold it at a local gun show and it had a nice view. Just not sure it would hold up and I dont want to waste dollars.  

thanks in advance.

FFP = First Focal Plane
With FFP optics, when you zoom in, what you see is magnified as well as the reticle. This allows you to be able to use your reticle, and its measurements, at any magnification range. FFP optis are becoming more and more common these days because of their versatility.

Second Focal Plane
With second focal plane optics the reticle stays the same size when you zoom in & out. You can ONLY use the reticle for range estimation at a specific magnification setting.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top