Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2012 10:12:08 AM EDT
Of the three scopes listed , what would run on top of your AR?

Or would you sugest another scope that is under $500 that falls in this style of scope?
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Save your money. Leupold VX-Hog 1x4. Rugged, reticle is quick to acquire, great eye relief and is half the price. I went to the shop w cash to buy either a mark AR 1x4 or a m223 1x4. I saw this VX hog and decided to give it a shot. It's got the VX glass and leupolds reputation. It's mounted on my BCM AR with a Nikon m223 1 piece mount and I'm very happy with it. No reason to spend twice the ammount on the other choices. I would truly prefer it over the mark AR or the m223 with price out of the picture.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
What dmcginnis said, but I like the Firedot circle version instead.  I wish they didn't put "pig plex" in the reticle.  Leupold VX-R is hard to beat for the price.  David
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Save your money. Leupold VX-Hog 1x4. Rugged, reticle is quick to acquire, great eye relief and is half the price. I went to the shop w cash to buy either a mark AR 1x4 or a m223 1x4. I saw this VX hog and decided to give it a shot. It's got the VX glass and leupolds reputation. It's mounted on my BCM AR with a Nikon m223 1 piece mount and I'm very happy with it. No reason to spend twice the ammount on the other choices. I would truly prefer it over the mark AR or the m223 with price out of the picture.

Have you zeroed it yet ? I'm interested in reading how the holdover works with lighter grain ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Voted for the MTAC, but I would be pefertly happy with the $300 TAC30 1-4x24.

Pretty sure the Leupold is not a true 1x and the Nikon does not offer illumination.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not personally a huge fan of the Nikon reticle, and as already mentioned, the Leuy is NOT a true 1x, so that leaves the Burris.

Link Posted: 9/4/2012 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Voted for the MTAC.

I own an MTAC and a Vortex PST 1-4 MOA, and I prefer the Vortex reticle, just wish the Vortex got a little brighter.

Glass on both is very close in clarity and light transmission.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I am asking myself the same, or at least close question. Shooting a stag flat top. Not a holo sight fan. I shoot out to abt 250 yards or so. I have back up folding sights. Burris AR-332, Burris MTAC 1-4 or Burris MTAC 1.5-6? Latter can't cowitness, but I am ok with that. Have not shot any of these optics. I like the burris reticle a lot. Need some magnification for old retired army eyes. Any advice? Thanks for any thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:15:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I compared the

VX-R Hog 1.25-4

Burris Tac30 1-4

Trijicon TR24

Nikon m-223 1-4

and for my money I would only spend it on the Burris Tac30 1-4

why?

Because it was the 2nd best on true 1x (Trijicon was the best but the price made me sick), 1st in reticle design (although a smaller center dot would be cool), 3rd in illumination (Leupold and Trijicon were better), Tied 2nd with leupold for clarity, 1st in best bang for your buck.

The biggest thing I didn't like about the leupold was the 1.25x. For me it was a deal breaker. It messed with my eyes and wasn't as nice as the Burris.  

I would recommend checking them out in person and seeing what works for you!  

I thought the 1.25 wouldn't bother me but it really does. If Leupold comes out with a true 1x on there 1-4 for the same price then I think you will have a winner
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks so far.

Any input from the 3 gunner croud?
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
MTAC until i can afford a Bushnell, Vortex, or Swaro 1-6, if you are .mil PM me
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I am going MTAC. Will the 1x4 cowitness with iron sights? Wondering if the nonilluminated reticle will just confuse the issue trying. I presume the 1.5 will not. The current deal seems to be a few spots selling the 1x4 MTAC with mount and fastfire 2 as a set for about $599. It is going on a stag M3 flat top.
thanks for any thoughts
pablopac
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I am going MTAC. Will the 1x4 cowitness with iron sights? Wondering if the nonilluminated reticle will just confuse the issue trying. I presume the 1.5 will not. The current deal seems to be a few spots selling the 1x4 MTAC with mount and fastfire 2 as a set for about $599. It is going on a stag M3 flat top.
thanks for any thoughts
pablopac

No co-witness with scope.  I don't care if it says it's 1x.  It is not.  No such thing.  

My opinion.  Could be wrong.  Been wrong before.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks so far.

Any input from the 3 gunner croud?

Vortex and Burris in that price range. I just got a Vortex, but a Razor, NOT in the same price range.

Quoted:
I think I am going MTAC. Will the 1x4 cowitness with iron sights? Wondering if the nonilluminated reticle will just confuse the issue trying. I presume the 1.5 will not. The current deal seems to be a few spots selling the 1x4 MTAC with mount and fastfire 2 as a set for about $599.
thanks for any thoughts
pablopac

No need to cowitness with the Fastfire. Learn to use it when you want fast/close. Also, mounting rear irons with a typical 1-4 is tricky because the scopes tend to be kindof long. BTW, you were not asking, but if you use this for 3-gun, you will be in Open Division because it is 2 optical/electronic sights.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I own the Mark AR and am fairly happy with it, but I've looked through the Burris and liked it a lot better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently ordered a Burris tac30 to "play with" until I save up for a swfa 1-6 or splurge on a NF. I think Burris in general makes a great optic for the money, and the features on the tac30(arguably better on the mtac) made me choose it in the sub $400 price range.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I just ordered a MTAC for my new Predatar this morning.  I have running a TAC30 on my frankengun SPR in three gun for a couple seasons and like it really well.  I am anxious to see if the MTAC glass is even better.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I voted mtac cause you didn't have viper pst
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#18]
How about the Weaver Classic 1-3x.  I think that it is shorter and lighter than all in your list.  Inexpensive for Japanese glass.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I tend to go with Leupold, but haven't looked through their lower powered glass.  I was shopping for a Millet in that power range and picked up the Burris to compare.  The Burris glass was much clearer than the Millet, and very acceptable.  Don't know if this helps you.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Letherwood CMR 1-4x24 just got one and am loving it sofar.  You can pick up the scope with a mount for a good price on swfa.com.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#21]
The Weaver 1-3x is an excellent value for the money.  The scope is small, lightweight and inexpensive.  It really feels like it is half the size of a Millet DMS-1 1-4x scope.  The glass is very impressive for the money and better than many that cost twice as much.  The downside is it only has a very simple cross hair reticle and no illumination.  But, if you consider a 5.56 carbine a 0-300 yard gun like I do, it works very well.  Weaver really, really, really needs to add a slightly better reticle to this optic.  If they did and kept it at the current price range, it would dominate the entry level market.  

With that said, I love my Trijicon TR24 Accupoint with the post reticle.  It is the perfect optic for my general purpose 5.56 rig and I run one on my go-to rig.  It is fast on 1x and the reticle is big as well as bright.  It works better than an Aimpoint for me as I have a bad astigmatism, which causes an Aimpoint to be very blurry at times.  on 4x, 100 yard targets are cake.  Again, I consider my 5.56 carbines a 0-300 yard rig.  So the reticle doesn't get in it's own way for me.  I go to my Nitrex (re branded Weaver Super Slam) 2-10x or SWFA SS 3-9x for anything longer.  So the 1-4x Accupoint works very well for me, particularly on my MSAR STG-556 & AR SBR.

I ran a Burris 1-4X XTR and really liked it.  But I traded it for my TR24 Accupoint as that is the scope I love.  I would not hessitate to get another Burris and am considering a Burris TAC30 1-4x in FDE to put on my tan MSAR STG rifle.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top