Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2017 7:36:32 PM EDT
My question is has there been any actual testing of the above using M855 or XM855 the civilian equal?  Or even .223 or XM193 for that matter?  I know the newest round the .gov is using causes excessive feed ramp wear and tear from my understanding, hence follower and new magazine adoption but everyone seems to jump to replacing the old school green follower for the newest fad in my opinion.  I dunno, that's why I'm asking arfcom because I've been running mags with green followers when I was in the military to present day with no issues.  I've been out of the military a while, have been shooting continuously since then but don't personally see what the big follower issue is unless you are using the new .mil ammo.  Am I missing something?  Please educate me .  Edited to change .gov to .mil, typo
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
im interested in hearing more about this ammo problem... that's a new one to me.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The change was mostly to facilitate high cyclic rate on guns with a more violent cycle, IE 10.5" suppressed.

Most 14.5" and longer semi auto guns with reasonable gas ports will never have a problem with the green or even black followers.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I've read the new ammunition used is striking below the barrel extension causing wear to the lower receiver, I could be wrong and going off of what I've read.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It's also a full auto problem as well.

If you are non .mil and need them, you will likely be able to get them.

The rest of us really have no use for them as they serve no real purpose or benefit.

Sure, some guys will pick them up for the novelty, but unless they somehow become standard I don't see them becoming mainstream.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Some years back, I replaced all my perfectly good Black Followers with Green.

May sell the mags, as they are Pre-ban, & replace; but, I won't be replacing any followers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all of the feed back arfcom.  Given this I'm just going to keep on with the green followers until they fail.  I will then replace with same green followers seeing how I have quite a few of them floating around here.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
The new blue follower is just the tan follower in a slicker polymer. Meaning it has more smooth feeding.

The key changes to the new tan magazine is in the actual aluminum magazine.

Mine have had no problem feeding M193, M855, M856, or M855A1.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I've read the new ammunition used is striking below the barrel extension causing wear to the lower receiver, I could be wrong and going off of what I've read.
View Quote
It's wear to the M4 cuts in the upper. The aluminum part.

Unless your the M27 then you just get all jacked up all over.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the correction, I meant upper receiver.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My .02....

The magazine is by far and away one of the most critical components of your weapon.

I currently count on Okay Industries magazines for feeding my AR's, I purchase Magpul Ranger L floor plates and Magpul Gen III followers for ALL of my Okay mags.

Would a standard un-modified Okay mag work 99.9999% of the time? Probably, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they are now BETTER than stock!

It costs me approximately a whopping $7.00 a mag to upgrade them.

Damn cheap insurance.
View Quote
Thats exactly how my favorite mags are set up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
but everyone seems to jump to replacing the old school green follower for the newest fad in my opinion.  
View Quote

If you want a non fad answer you came to the wrong forum. For regular range use (which I suspect is 98% of the experts here) any old followers will work perfectly fine, that is of course until someone on the internet tells you you HAVE to upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Even oldest Black followers will work just fine on semi.

Replacing them with magpul ones is a chep insurance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Where do you get the tan followers on sale?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]
On the EE.  They are not sold separate.  They are such a great deal they come with a free spring, body, and follower.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The feed ramp wear is only for the new 855a1. The newest Magpul G3 mags and the Okay metal mag both feed higher to minimize bullet contact on the way in.

For the overall anti tilt design, what I've read it was just for some instances of shorter full auto guns running in full auto. Not a massive issue.

But feeding high is generally a good thing - the Wilson mags follow the same thought in 1911s.

IMHO. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#18]
The Wilson 1911 mags don't feed high, they have short feedlips to toss the round out of the mag earlier.  They were designed to feed H&G #68 SWC bullets.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top