Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2017 12:33:59 PM EDT
I built a rifle a few months ago using an Anderson lower and PSA LPK.  I went to the range the other day and noticed that the bolt catch wasn't engaging when manually cycling the action. The bolt was catching on the back of the mag follower, so as soon as I released the mag, the bolt dropped.

I was thinking that there was something wrong with the rifle until I tried that magazine in my other, older rifle that's run perfectly for like 10 years and it did the same thing. A gen 1 PMAG in both rifles does not have this problem. It looks like the mag follower isn't always exerting enough force on the bolt catch to push it up far enough to actually catch the bolt.

Anyone else run into this? I ran 30 rounds through the rifle with both magazines, one round at a time, and the bolt always locks back after the last round so I'm not super concerned with it, but it annoys me enough that I'm probably not going to buy any more M3 PMAGs. Am I overreacting?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not much help but I do have a half dozen various pmags that my bolt will not hold open on after the last shot.  I mark them with a white dot of paint and move on.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the length of the nose of bolt catch. Some are slightly longer than others. The 9mm bolt catch has a much longer nose.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top