BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2017 9:23:36 PM EDT
Do you load your magazines to maximum capacity or back off 1 or 2 rounds?

If so, explain why.

Facilitate mag change / chamber 1st round?  Some favor one side in a dual stack.  I found no issues in initial testing.

Reduce spring compression? I understand compression cycles may impact wear more than overall round count.

Specifically interested in Glock 17 and PMAG 30 / 40's (Gen M3) chest rig for rapid response

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, that is how I know my mags are full, when I can press down on the top round and there is about a half inch of travel left.
I down load my mags, because it makes seating the mag easier and lessens the chance of a magazine not being completely inserted into my AR.
it has nothing do do with spring life or wear and tear.

dont want to get one of these.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the magazine, some are a lot stiffer than others fully loaded, but generally no, I don't download.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you get the trifecta?

Oak leaf cluster and 'that guy'?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Gen 3 Pmags at 30 rounds each.

Loaded my issue mags to 28 for easier seating but that's not an issue with the pmags.

I also had one issue rifle with a week spring that couldn't fully load the first round of a 30 round mag. The other 29 fed great but the issue persisted through every mag in a full combat load. I tapped the forward assist for the first round of each mag and went on with life. My personal rifles don't have this issue. After that experience on a training range in Iraq I went to 28.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always gone full capacity with PMAGs. I left them fully loaded for a whole year in Iraq. I would empty every mag twice a week and clean them out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Usually 28, leaves the round on the proper side and assures reliability.  Pmags and troy mags have never failed me yet.  Use 30 on range trips but why take a chance.  Reliable trainers have suggested 28 rnds and they been through a hell of a lot more than me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Fill them up.  Don't carry your shit around and never test it.  Shoot.  A lot.  And then shoot more. 

Don't listen to bullshit.  Test your shit.  Shoot it.  

Get off the porch!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I either load 2 x tracer rnds followed by 26 ball or I'll load 28 ball. Easier to insert.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fill them up.  Don't carry your shit around and never test it.  Shoot.  A lot.  And then shoot more. 

Get off the porch!
View Quote
This, people are running about parroting what some guru has said and don't know there's a bridge outside of town.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Magazine holds x? I put x!

If it wasn't supposed to be loaded to capacity, they wouldn't have designed it to hold X.

Haven't tried it with many, but tan follower usgi will hold 31 rounds if you try, and newer m9 mags will hold 16.

The mag won't seat? Replace it or stop being a pussy and insert it like you mean it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#12]
If you actually have to start using your rifle, your probably not going to change it until the bolt locks back. Then you will insert a new mag, release bolt and keep firing. I want a full mag then, not 28 or 29.
If the firing has stopped, and you THEN worry about the mag seating, simply remove a round or two from the fresh mag and insert it, or eject the chambered round and pocket it for later use.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I load to capacity. Stiff insertion on a closed bolt is only an issue on a tac reload. Shit should be slowed down enough to slam it home on a closed bolt if you are doing a tac reload.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#14]
My "trunk gun" AR has 3x30 rd magazines, each downloaded to 29 rds.

Why? So the loadout is ar15.com approved 87 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Hangun downloaded one. Rifle downloaded two as required for work.  But its always a good idea to give the mag a good whaaack to ensure proper seating.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Get off the porch!
View Quote
That guy taught your tribe quite a bit...What he taught was not bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope. Never have.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#18]
glock mags no...ar mags 28
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#19]
My older AR-15 mags needed to be downloaded by 2 rounds to be reliable. My newer AR-15 mags I load up all the way with no issues. I tossed my old mags into the range only bin. Problem solved!! Never had any issues otherwise with my other guns. Load them up all the way!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Pistols are topped off.
AR mags @28 because MACV-SOG research and the most knowledgable operator I know says so.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I do not download.  If I can't insert the magazine with a closed bolt then I do not wish to own them.  I feel that it is a defect of the magazine that is made for 30 rounds of use.  I own a few from Lancer, Magpul, Okay, Center, Brownells and ETS and they all insert fine like the good ole days back when I was in the Army.  Always took a little more effort but always locked in nice and tight.  I've had a few Lancers and Centers that were extremely hard to insert.  Over time the Lancers gotten better with more usage but Centers did not get any better so I got rid of them.  Magpuls have always been the easiest to insert.  Always test your gear out before you trust it.  I'm fine at capacity, even with pistol mags.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Specifically interested in Glock 17 and PMAG 30 / 40's (Gen M3) chest rig for rapid response.
View Quote
PMAGs should not even enter the "30 vs. 28 rounds" discussion. Magpul specifically designed them with a little extra space to ensure the spring can compress a little more when inserted on a closed bolt. That was one of the original design goals for the PMAG.

I've had a Glock 17 for 22 years, and I've never heard of anyone downloading a round in a pistol magazine. Don't do it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't download any mags. When loading double-column-feed mags, I load 2 and look to see which side the top round is on. Then I fill to capacity, making sure my last round is on the same side. This ensures I don't overfill the mag. I've never had an issue with capacity. I've used tons of old GI aluminum 30 rounders. Some MP5 mags can be stuffed with 32, but you'll know you're stuffing #32 extra hard. 31 not so much. Really it was MP5 mags that got me checking the L/R side thing. They won't insert under a closed bolt with 31.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Statistically, as a civi, I won't need anywhere near 30 rounds so while it may not be needed I download to 28 to facilitate loading on a closed bolt if I need to.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#25]
alot of Glock mags are awfully tight when fully loaded, esp if they are still new or never kept loaded.  My G21 mags are so tight, you can barely get in the 13th round and I have left them loaded for a long time.   In that case better download 1 round on your reload mags.

Some guns like H&K and factory Sig mags have a long follower tail and don't suffer from this issue.  But in case of MecGar mags where they add capacity for the Sigs, it can be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I've honestly never heard of downloading handgun mags until this thread. My class was trained to load to cap, chamber a round, then swap mags and top off the original mag. So you end up with a 40 round load out (glock 21 w/ 3 mags issued).

AR mags get loaded to capacity. I've even been known to swap mags after chambering to get the extra pig killing, death delivering 31 round load out
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I have always loaded AR mags to capacity. I spent years in Iraq/Afg and every time I rolled out of the gate I charged a round from a 30 round magazine. It was never a problem. I did have to clean them out, as another poster mentioned, since sand and dust would accumulate inside them. I've never had feeding problems from full mags after the first shot, either.

My unit SOP was to load a tracer first, but I didn't do that. I wasn't confident enough in the terminal ballistics of M856 tracer.  

You've got to keep them clean, though. I've seen plenty of AR and AK (!) magazines frozen up with accumulated dirt. It can get real nasty in a desert environment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Absolutely not as I think its stupid to download a mag when they are advertised to hold a specific amount. If a 30 round mag can't reliably hold and feed all 30 then its garbage and shouldn't be used. Even with beat up issued USGI mags I rarely had a problem with fully loaded mags seated on a closed bolt. It became a non issue when I started using PMAGs, Lancers and USGI with Magpul Followers. Its even more of a non issue with speed reloads.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Pmags at 30 and USGI mags at 28. At these levels they feel about equal pressure and resistance when loading on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I run mine at 28. They load easier on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This, people are running about parroting what some guru has said and don't know there's a bridge outside of town.
View Quote
Part of why I run mine with 28 rounds is because that's what I was taught to do by several people that I respect, who have real bonafides in the shooting people in the face world. Call them Gurus or whatever the hell you want, what I know is that they have seen the elephant and lived to tell about it and that's enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes, that is how I know my mags are full, when I can press down on the top round and there is about a half inch of travel left.
I down load my mags, because it makes seating the mag easier and lessens the chance of a magazine not being completely inserted into my AR.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9IGYWDN-fmo/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
I have 2 of those, God Bless him.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#34]
The only mags I gave EVER downloaded are my Glock 22rd mags. The only reason why is because the ammo comes in a 20rd bx.

Push harder....your not going to hurt it.

I also have mags that have been loaded a good 25 years with zero issues.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9IGYWDN-fmo/maxresdefault.jpg
I got a Moose Cock for inserting a full 30-round PMAG, push/pull, and it dropped out when I fired the next round.

EVERY 30-ROUND MAGAZINE gets 28.

Yes, Pat!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#36]
AR magazines I only load 28.  I run D&H, Labelle, Okay and Pmags. I have had issues with USGI type magazines not fully chambering the first round when loaded to the full 30 when the magazines are brand new.  I also find it easier to insert a 28 round magazine on a closed bolt.  Pistol magazines I always load to capacity.  I hope this helps OP.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:26:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
PMAGs should not even enter the "30 vs. 28 rounds" discussion. Magpul specifically designed them with a little extra space to ensure the spring can compress a little more when inserted on a closed bolt. That was one of the original design goals for the PMAG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Specifically interested in Glock 17 and PMAG 30 / 40's (Gen M3) chest rig for rapid response.
+1

Both my PMAGs and Lancers have zero issue inserting on a closed bolt with a full load, both in 5.56 and 7.62. No reason whatsoever to not load them all the way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Got a Legion P229, the checkmade mags are ridiculously hard to insert the 15th round and once in there, the magazine requires you to use one hand on the slide and push the mag in if the slide is closed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I download by two.

I thought it was a requirement to post here.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#40]
No.  Pmags loaded to the full 30
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#41]
There is no reason to download magazines. Don't listen to old wives' tales. 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#42]
No. There is zero reason to download mags. Even my USGI aluminum mags are loaded to 30.

I clean the insides of my mags (particularly the feed lips) and smack test them. I toss mags that fail.

You should be able to press check a mag for capacity. a fully loaded mag has about half a thumbnail of give.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#43]
End of day, if you are the kind of guy that Magpul had to add an overinsertion tab with the M3 because you are inserting your mags with the force of Thor's hammer.  28, 30 or 31 rounds jammed in your USGI mag, it doesn't matter.  That sunuvabitch is going to get seated on a closed bolt.

For novice shooters, I have observed that failing to properly seat a loaded mag is a very common occurrence.  Even some guys that I have been shooting with for years still seem to struggle with it time to time.

In the heat of battle, I would eliminate a 1% chance of magazine seating in exchange for 2 rounds.  For magpuls, there is extra room which is why its so easy to put 31 rounds into them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#44]
No.

I don't see the point. They are designed to hold 30 for extended periods. Why download them? To be easier on your fingers? Get a loader. To avoid the feed lips getting bent? Cycle your mags to avoid this issue.

Downloading is dumb and lazy. Easier to keep track of 30s instead of 28s or 29s.

If you store loaded mags like i do, you NEED to cycle them out from time to time.

I keep 50mags loaded throughout the house in various locations. When i go out shooting, i grab 10 from one spot, and replace them when I'm done. Grab 10 from the next spot when i go out again. Rinse and repeat.

I've never had a bent feed lip from storage, never have i had a spring get weak, or anything really that could be attributed to storage.

Now, if you don't shoot much and want long term storage, i think downloading to 25 is better. It's easier to keep track of when shooting, for me it is anyway.

Everyone is different, these are my reasonings.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No.

I don't see the point. They are designed to hold 30 for extended periods. Why download them? To be easier on your fingers? Get a loader. To avoid the feed lips getting bent? Cycle your mags to avoid this issue.
View Quote
I've never had bent feed lips from storing USGI mags. One of my ancient D&H AWB-era "restricted" marked aluminum/teflon magazines did get a slight floorplate bulge from long-term storage though, but that was only one mag.

My modern D&H mags and Lancers are happy to sit loaded all the live long day without complaint.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I use US GI mags w/ Magpul followers loaded @ 28.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I downloaded AR mags to 28 for years.  I no longer do this.  Lots of rounds down range has yielded no reliability benefit for the loss of 2 rounds. Seating the mag on a closed bolt requires more force.  Not a big deal.

I do download Glock 19 mags by 1 when shooting weak ammo.  Oddly, I've found Brass-To-Head increases when shooting crap 9mm (like UMC) with a full 15 round magazine seated.  I can only surmise the increased pressure against the bottom of the slide slows the slide velocity and thus effects ejection.  I load carry gun mags full (they have quality ammo).
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#48]
I carry 28 for easier loading when the bolt is still forward. Will I probably need to do a tactical reload between clearing rooms? Not likely, but it's an ingrained habit... along with changing mags when I'm not shooting and probably won't be in the next moment.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Nm...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:00:42 AM EDT
[#50]
If it was meant to have 28 rounds in it, it would be called a 28 round mag.  I have no problem seating any of mine against a closed bolt.  It gets loaded with as many as are intended for it.  Except I can't get the 100th in the korean dual drum.  But I would if I could.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top