Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 5:36:36 PM EDT
So messing around with my GI and M3 mags I noticed something about the difficulty to strip the round.

On GI mags there is considerably more friction and force required to strip a round when compared to Pmags.

So this got me wondering, does that increased resistance lead to slower bolt velocity on the forward stroke?

Would it be enough to turn an already sluggish rifle(for whatever reason) into a FTF gun?

Have any tests been done in regards to bolt velocity when chambering from different magazine materials?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
of course ! Any drag or increased pressure on any number of moving parts could cause a malfunction.
Magazines are the very first thing you look at when things go side ways. Spring, feed lip, follower, mag catch, ding, dent, crack (plastic)...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
of course ! Any drag or increased pressure on any number of moving parts could cause a malfunction.
Magazines are the very first thing you look at when things go side ways. Spring, feed lip, follower, mag catch, ding, dent, crack (plastic)...
View Quote

Yes but the amount of drag is considered in the design of the rifle.

When the M16 was analyzed during the Viet Nam war (Ichord Report) I do not believe any blame was placed on the magazine.  There was also a fairly large study of the  weapons used in Iraq in 2006 and it was not mentioned as being a problem. Slippery is not always better, in some designs friction is a factor in how the weapon functions( read about Gen Thompsons obsession with the Blish Principle when designing the TSMG)
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top