Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That piece of steel on the top of a lancer magazine is a little more than "cosmetics".  Since when has everyone here become penny pinchers?  The magazine is the "heart" of the AR15 rifle.  The magazine is the "weak link". What is a couple of dollars per magazine?  Everyone here seems obsessed with finding the ultimate magazine, thousand and thousands of posts about which magazine is best, then you want to save a few bucks; this place is bizarre.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every new gun I see posted up is rocking the new clear Lancers with metal feed lips.

Any big advantages over the magpuls or is it just cosmetics?

That piece of steel on the top of a lancer magazine is a little more than "cosmetics".  Since when has everyone here become penny pinchers?  The magazine is the "heart" of the AR15 rifle.  The magazine is the "weak link". What is a couple of dollars per magazine?  Everyone here seems obsessed with finding the ultimate magazine, thousand and thousands of posts about which magazine is best, then you want to save a few bucks; this place is bizarre.

I have no doubt lancers are good mags.  But no one has shown they are measurably better than a usgi.  So it is hard to justify the extra cash.  I'm not cheap, but I want to spend my cash where it matters.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have no doubt lancers are good mags.  But no one has shown they are measurably better than a usgi.  So it is hard to justify the extra cash.  I'm not cheap, but I want to spend my cash where it matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every new gun I see posted up is rocking the new clear Lancers with metal feed lips.

Back in the day ( let's say 2008-2010) most of the posts on this forum were about how tough polymer magazines were and how fragile USGI magazines were and how USGI mags were a recipe for disaster and how stupid the US military was for not switching.  Now we actually have several virtually unbreakable polymer magazines and lancer is one of them (along with ETS) but all of a sudden this isn't important any more.  I agree and have always said ( despite multiple personal attacks) USGI is satisfactory for military and hobby (most forum members) use. during my last deployment to Camp Dalke two Winters ago 98% of m4s I saw had USGI magazines in the maxwells. The military has magazines that are half a century old and work fine although it makes me wonder why they haven't been replaced yet, although many here have convinced themselves (or have been convinced)that their trips to their local shooting range are fraught with danger if they don't have a magazine that can survive being driven over by a steamroller.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I use both Lancer L5AWM's and Pmags. No stores sell Lancers so I have more Pmags. I like them both.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#4]
been using al mags since the '80's.

clown
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

That wasn't the OP's question...it was to find out why people are switching from Magpul to Lancer. It's been pretty well established in this thread that Lancers have more durable lips, flex and bulge less, and are chemical/DEET resistant compared to PMags; anomalies aside for each. In my experience, which isn't limited to a controlled firing range, people are usually the cause for their own problems experienced with any firearm/magazine/latest-greatest gizmo, whatever. End of the day, they're both good, they both work. USGI mags with improved followers are hard to beat on any of those points and only fall short of the other two in terms of weight and noise, and perhaps in tems of impact resistance under certain conditions. Both PMags and Lancers are lighter and quieter. USGI's can also be dented. Can't happen? Yeah, well, it can and it does. Maybe not under the conditions you plan to use it in, though. When dented, the follower binds up. Polymer mags don't dent. They may outright break, but if we're doing apples to apples here and comparing a scenario where a guy drops his pack off a truck  or gets smashed into a wall and a mag gets dented, a polymer mag would be hard pressed to break. I've seen it with those results. Run it over with an APC, fine. I'd rather have a broken mag and know it, than a dented mag and not know it. If those things don't matter, then rock on with your GI's, man. Spending money where it matters is very subjective, especially on the internet, but those things either are or are not important to you. I use all three.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That wasn't the OP's question...it was to find out why people are switching from Magpul to Lancer. It's been pretty well established in this thread that Lancers have more durable lips, flex and bulge less, and are chemical/DEET resistant compared to PMags; anomalies aside for each. In my experience, which isn't limited to a controlled firing range, people are usually the cause for their own problems experienced with any firearm/magazine/latest-greatest gizmo, whatever. End of the day, they're both good, they both work. USGI mags with improved followers are hard to beat on any of those points and only fall short of the other two in terms of weight and noise, and perhaps in tems of impact resistance under certain conditions. Both PMags and Lancers are lighter and quieter. USGI's can also be dented. Can't happen? Yeah, well, it can and it does. Maybe not under the conditions you plan to use it in, though. When dented, the follower binds up. Polymer mags don't dent. They may outright break, but if we're doing apples to apples here and comparing a scenario where a guy drops his pack off a truck  or gets smashed into a wall and a mag gets dented, a polymer mag would be hard pressed to break. I've seen it with those results. Run it over with an APC, fine. I'd rather have a broken mag and know it, than a dented mag and not know it. If those things don't matter, then rock on with your GI's, man. Spending money where it matters is very subjective, especially on the internet, but those things either are or are not important to you. I use all three.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

True but I pop dents out of Ak mags and they are good to go again.  In 30 years, is Magpul going to be around to replace your magazine?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

True but I pop dents out of Ak mags and they are good to go again.  In 30 years, is Magpul going to be around to replace your magazine?
View Quote

Yeah, you can do that. You could glue a crack in a polymer mag, too. And if birds had machine guns, cats wouldn't screw with them. As has been beaten to death, they all have their own characteristics.

Will Magpul be around in 30 years? I don't know, ask them but I'm pretty sure they will be. They moved from CO to TX due to CO's unwelcoming shift in laws regarding their products, so I'd say that a good faith effort to stay in business and do so in states that appreciate them if I ever saw one. If I have a mag of any kind that lasts 30 years I'd call that a successful demonstration of product reliability and I probably wouldn't whine to anyone about a replacement...I'd just buy one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, you can do that. You could glue a crack in a polymer mag, too. And if birds had machine guns, cats wouldn't screw with them. As has been beaten to death, they all have their own characteristics.

Will Magpul be around in 30 years? I don't know, ask them but I'm pretty sure they will be. They moved from CO to TX due to CO's unwelcoming shift in laws regarding their products, so I'd say that a good faith effort to stay in business and do so in states that appreciate them if I ever saw one. If I have a mag of any kind that lasts 30 years I'd call that a successful demonstration of product reliability and I probably wouldn't whine to anyone about a replacement...I'd just buy one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are under the impression that you will be able buy 30 round magazines in 30 years?  I guess that is where we disagree.  I'm betting on them being banned, and the companies that make them not being in business unless they switch to 10 rounders.  

I have seen many pieces of plastic shattered that were not repairable, not just cracked.  You say it has been beaten to death, could not that same thing have been said about your comment?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#9]
[b]

You are under the impression that you will be able buy 30 round magazines in 30 years?  I guess that is where we disagree.  I'm betting on them being banned, and the companies that make them not being in business unless they switch to 10 rounders.  

I have seen many pieces of plastic shattered that were not repairable, not just cracked.  You say it has been beaten to death, could not that same thing have been said about your comment?
View Quote

They moved to TX for a reason. TX has a proud history of not giving a shit. Try it sometime. Either way, I have enough to cover me and mine no matter what happens. OP didn't ask about USGI's he asked about Lancers. I've seen MRAP's, A1's, and HMMWV's shattered and not repairable, too. So what? Nothing is indestructible, given enough outside influence. I didn't see a single person here advocating against USGI's, just answering the OP's question and PMags vs Lancers. Most people here have all said all three have benefits and drawbacks. Beaten to death enough now?

What do we use stateside? USGI's 99% of the time, because reg's abound. What do we use over there? Usually polymer because weight starts to matter more and resupply is an issue. Don't like them, don't use them. OP got his question answered by lots of folks with good points brought up, and he didn't ask about GI mags. Now, back to the topic...
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

When one of your AK mags goes tits up....who you gonna call TODAY to replace it?

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Honestly I find that really hard to believe

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a bunch of the USGI mags then
started buying PMAGS and now buying USGI again.

Found some windowed PMAGS and took the to a range trip. They wouldn't
seat and would fall out. I tried to call MAGPUL and their tech support sucks.

There always seems to be people on here that try to email Magpul's tech support and they never receive an email back. If it wasn't for their Industry page around here those people would never get taken care of. I am actually one of those people. I had a sling that was out of spec. (QD socket) I emailed and never heard anything. Brought it up in their forum and was promptly taken care of. That has happened many times on here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wasn't responding to the op.

Most of the shit I buy is just for fun and no one has to justify their purchases to me.

I do take issue with your assertion above in blue.  I son think that has been shown, in this thread or anywhere else.  Only anecdotal accounts, I don't know it isn't true but would like to see evidence.  Are they  a 10% higher mean rounds between failures, 1%?  Is it negligible or significant?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not sure what to say, I haven't, and have seen switching to Lancer's solve other peoples feed problems.  One item of note though, is that Lancer appears to parkarize or otherwise put a finish on their steel lip insert, that is not what I consider to be a smooth finish.  I like to run about 5 rounds of ammo through a Lancer mag first, to smooth that out, before I throw it into the pile.  Never had a problem, just a quirk I have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took some new lancers to the range and had a ton of fail to feeds.  I was wondering if the springs were just stiff because they were new and putting a lot of pressure on the bolt carrier?  Anyone else had this issue?

Not sure what to say, I haven't, and have seen switching to Lancer's solve other peoples feed problems.  One item of note though, is that Lancer appears to parkarize or otherwise put a finish on their steel lip insert, that is not what I consider to be a smooth finish.  I like to run about 5 rounds of ammo through a Lancer mag first, to smooth that out, before I throw it into the pile.  Never had a problem, just a quirk I have.

Thanks, I'll try running them with a smaller amount of ammo next time and see if that makes a difference to break them in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If I had to guess 7-8 out of 10 people that post who've used both prefer Lancer.
View Quote

I've never used them. I never saw much reason for me to even try them. Always more expensive & Magpuls work just fine & have proven combat track records....
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]

Most of the shit I buy is just for fun and no one has to justify their purchases to me.

I do take issue with your assertion above in blue.  I son think that has been shown, in this thread or anywhere else.  Only anecdotal accounts, I don't know it isn't true but would like to see evidence.  Are they  a 10% higher mean rounds between failures, 1%?  Is it negligible or significant?
View Quote

If you're not posting to the OP, start a new thread on GI mag accolades. That said, if nobody has to justify themselves to you, why are you asking for exactly that to happen? My assertion is based off others' posts and experiences here, like I said. Majority ruled in favor of Lancers. If you're on an internet forum expecting something other than anecdotes, then your expectations are too high. It's the internet, dude...anecdotal information rules it. If you're searching for percentile studies with repeatable results, call up the manufacturers and let us know what happens. Nobody in this thread, that I know of, is trying to sell anyone on anything and it's not our job to perform lab tests on magazines. OP asked for opinions from users, of which, you are not. Start up a USGI fanboy thread and game on.None of this banter helps the OP.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've never used them. I never saw much reason for me to even try them. Always more expensive & Magpuls work just fine & have proven combat track records....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I had to guess 7-8 out of 10 people that post who've used both prefer Lancer.

Congratulations.  Since you've never tried Lancer then that doesn't apply for you does it?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you're not posting to the OP, start a new thread on GI mag accolades. That said, if nobody has to justify themselves to you, why are you asking for exactly that to happen? My assertion is based off others' posts and experiences here, like I said. Majority ruled in favor of Lancers. If you're on an internet forum expecting something other than anecdotes, then your expectations are too high. It's the internet, dude...anecdotal information rules it. If you're searching for percentile studies with repeatable results, call up the manufacturers and let us know what happens. Nobody in this thread, that I know of, is trying to sell anyone on anything and it's not our job to perform lab tests on magazines. OP asked for opinions from users, of which, you are not. Start up a USGI fanboy thread and game on.None of this banter helps the OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

Just because I wasn't directly responding to the OP, doesn't mean it is not relevant to the conversation. The OP asked "Any big advantages over the magpuls or is it just cosmetics?"  We get empirical evidence all the time on the forum.  Molon's always excellent threads are a great example, for that matter Magpul did a great job explaining their testing and ways they are superior to a USGI.  For that reason I am fan of their mags much more so then USGI, mainly because of their resistance to deformed feedlips.  We didn't have to call up the manufactures for Magpul's results.  

Directly related to the OP's question is Magpul did a great job showing how they are better then USGI's. I am not aware, and neither was the OP, of any tests that show how Lancers fall in the hierarchy.   in fact it was the heart of his question.  He is still waiting for a non hypothetical answer.  Is there an advantage, I don't know, but when I can buy a 1/3rd more mags by going with pmags why would anyone switch other then cosmetics without any test?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I ran CQ drills with Magpul G2 mags average 3 times a week for 4+ years without a single failure

I sold them for what I paid for them when I switched to G3 now about 18 months no failures. I drop them step on them but do not run over them with a vehicle so perhaps my use is not relevant

I also have Lancer AWM 10 each for 10(Sight in mags) and 30 round Opaque Black (don't care for clear mags) I trust them as well as Magpul and like them as SD along with my few window Pmags because I can ID the SD ammo by the mag maker (I do have 100+ Magpul G3 as back up)

Anyone who trashes either of these fine products reminds me of a person going to a car show and after sitting in a new Mercedes goes over and sits in a comparable BMW and says it feels like a piece of junk..

You feel more comfortable with Magpul over Lancer or vise versa wellgreat.
I am just delighted we have these and other fine choices that next year may be outlawed a much bigger concern to our mag desires
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just because I wasn't directly responding to the OP, doesn't mean it is not relevant to the conversation. The OP asked "Any big advantages over the magpuls or is it just cosmetics?"  We get empirical evidence all the time on the forum.  Molon's always excellent threads are a great example, for that matter Magpul did a great job explaining their testing and ways they are superior to a USGI.  For that reason I am fan of their mags much more so then USGI, mainly because of their resistance to deformed feedlips.  We didn't have to call up the manufactures for Magpul's results.  

Directly related to the OP's question is Magpul did a great job showing how they are better then USGI's. I am not aware, and neither was the OP, of any tests that show how Lancers fall in the hierarchy.   in fact it was the heart of his question.  He is still waiting for a non hypothetical answer.  Is there an advantage, I don't know, but when I can buy a 1/3rd more mags by going with pmags why would anyone switch other then cosmetics without any test?
View Quote

Yeah, it's the internet. Empirical evidence is what you get. Forum members (besides Industry Partners) aren't manufacturers. OP asked for people's opinions, not links to tests. If he wanted to hear it from Magpul or Lancer, he'd have asked them. He asked us instead. Magpul's aren't DEET resistant....that's not hypothetical. Go spray one of your Magpul's with some Off Deep Woods and see what happens. That's not a cosmetic issue, either. Most people own a variety of mags. They each are winners in different ways.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I ran CQ drills with Magpul G2 mags average 3 times a week for 4+ years without a single failure

I sold them for what I paid for them when I switched to G3 now about 18 months no failures. I drop them step on them but do not run over them with a vehicle so perhaps my use is not relevant

I also have Lancer AWM 10 each for 10(Sight in mags) and 30 round Opaque Black (don't care for clear mags) I trust them as well as Magpul and like them as SD along with my few window Pmags because I can ID the SD ammo by the mag maker (I do have 100+ Magpul G3 as back up)

Anyone who trashes either of these fine products reminds me of a person going to a car show and after sitting in a new Mercedes goes over and sits in a comparable BMW and says it feels like a piece of junk..

I am just delighted we have these and other fine choices that next year may be outlawed a much bigger concern to our mag desires
View Quote

EXACTLY!
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Lancer AWMs in smoke for me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I use Lancer, Magpul and the GI ones from DSGARMS. Currently using Gen2 Pmags in my duty loadout.

They all work well. You guys are some nit picking sons of bitches.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

EXACTLY!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EXACTLY!

I haven't seen any "trashing" here.  People have different opinions, and different experiences that's all.  This is a discussion forum or at least was.  It is not a fan forum, or an advertising forum.  People here are all quick to get into a butthurt if someone doesn't think their favorite magazine is best.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Pmags FTW!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

People here are all quick to get into a butthurt if someone doesn't think their favorite magazine is best.
View Quote

No lie.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a huge fan of Pmags.  I've simply never had one fail or malfunction.  For the price and track record, how could I complain?

I've recently started buying and using Lancer mags for one reason:  300 Blackout.  I load my subsonics's long and the ogive of the projective interferes with the support ridges on the inside of most 5.56/.223 magazines, which causes sub-par loading and cycling due to the fact that the ridges cause the rounds to nose inward inside the magazine.  I've recently found that the Lancer mags have a much less obtrusive ridge and work perfectly with one minor modification.  Simply grind down the blocks toward the top and these are the best magazines for 300BLK.  I've since switched to using Pmags for .223 and Lancers for 300BLK.  This will also help prevent ammo getting loaded into the incorrect rifle.

After filing down the blocks:

Rounds pointing perfectly straight instead of nosing inward:

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lancers have been out for almost as long as Pmags. Pmags seem to have been by far the more popular mag for some time. Why suddenly the rush towards Lancers? Are people just discovering them now?
View Quote

I'd say it's when the AWM series came out that Lancers really took off.  The wraparound steel lip band instills more confidence than the older two piece design.

That being said, I still use both PMags and Lancers and would trust either one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Magpul PMag - Doesn't scratch up brass for reloaders, cheap and available everywhere, hard to dent and won't rust. Windowed mags can help with round count, but windows may not hold up to direct immersion in bug repellant.

Lancer L5 AWM - Hybrid Construction, feeds wildcats well, hard to dent, steel feedlip assembly may rust.  Rounds are visible on smoke and translucent.

USGI - Cheap and proven, bodies don't rust but can dent or bend rendering it inoperable.

If you live in a humid environment, then the rust may be more of a factor.  If you tend to drop and dent things, then poly or hybrid makes more sense.  If you would rather have 4 PMags or USGI's instead of 3 Lancers for the same amount of money, then own more magazines.  If you need to count rounds while using bug repellant as cologne, then go Lancer.

I own and use all three, but still prefer my 20 round USGI because of a slimmer profile when shooting prone or rested and I love my retro stuff!

Wallet Thumpers need to tone down their condescension around here.  A $7 USGI magazine (D&H or Brownells when available on discount) typically functions statistically the same as a $15 or even $30+ magazine (think HK), so that extra money may be better spent on ammo or more mags.  Not everyone can afford to feed their rifle $2/round match ammo either, does that also make them inferior to you because you feed your pet the best food possible!?!?

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Lancers are my go-to mags, Gen2 Pmags are my range mags (I practice reloads often, the polymer feedlips on the Pmags don't wear on the magwell as badly as the steel feedlips on the Lancers).
However, I wouldn't lose sleep if the only mags I could get were Gen2 Pmags.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm a huge fan of Pmags.  I've simply never had one fail or malfunction.  For the price and track record, how could I complain?

I've recently started buying and using Lancer mags for one reason:  300 Blackout.  I load my subsonics's long and the ogive of the projective interferes with the support ridges on the inside of most 5.56/.223 magazines, which causes sub-par loading and cycling due to the fact that the ridges cause the rounds to nose inward inside the magazine.  I've recently found that the Lancer mags have a much less obtrusive ridge and work perfectly with one minor modification.  Simply grind down the blocks toward the top and these are the best magazines for 300BLK.  I've since switched to using Pmags for .223 and Lancers for 300BLK.  This will also help prevent ammo getting loaded into the incorrect rifle.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/paulvolk/Shooting/20160811_205932_zps1qycs6yg.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/paulvolk/Shooting/20160811_210447_zpsqo4u0ksy.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/paulvolk/Shooting/20160811_210839_zps6xlm62or.jpg
View Quote

am going to try this! I use Lancer Opaque FDE mags and they work great but they are tough to load on a closed bolt no matter if it loaded to capacity or downloaded. Makes since that the rounds would be binding at the front of the mag.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Lancer AWMs are my preferred go to mags. Superior overall design over the Gen 1 Lancers, which are still reliable as fuck in my experience but I don't care for the raised mag stop ridge and older floorplate design.

I still love and trust my PMAGs, me and my buddy have only cracked one mag each through years of military and recreational use. I do need to stock up more on M2s and M3s though.

The only unmodified USGI mags I trust are 20 rounders. For 30 rounders, I only trust them when I pull out the shit black or green followers and replace them with green Magpul followers. I also only trust Colt/NHMTG/Okay Industries, FN and older Brownells. Center Industries sucks in my opinion, and I refuse to use Center or Brownells mags with that U.S. taxpayer ripoff known as the tan follower, total junk.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Magpul PMag - Doesn't scratch up brass for reloaders, cheap and available everywhere, hard to dent and won't rust. Windowed mags can help with round count, but windows may not hold up to direct immersion in bug repellant.

Lancer L5 AWM - Hybrid Construction, feeds wildcats well, hard to dent, steel feedlip assembly may rust.  Rounds are visible on smoke and translucent.

USGI - Cheap and proven, bodies don't rust but can dent or bend rendering it inoperable.

If you live in a humid environment, then the rust may be more of a factor.  If you tend to drop and dent things, then poly or hybrid makes more sense.  If you would rather have 4 PMags or USGI's instead of 3 Lancers for the same amount of money, then own more magazines.  If you need to count rounds while using bug repellant as cologne, then go Lancer.

I own and use all three, but still prefer my 20 round USGI because of a slimmer profile when shooting prone or rested and I love my retro stuff!

Wallet Thumpers need to tone down their condescension around here.  A $7 USGI magazine (D&H or Brownells when available on discount) typically functions statistically the same as a $15 or even $30+ magazine (think HK), so that extra money may be better spent on ammo or more mags.  Not everyone can afford to feed their rifle $2/round match ammo either, does that also make them inferior to you because you feed your pet the best food possible!?!?

View Quote

There have been a few AWMs that have had some rust but it's not nearly the norm. Where I live is condsidered a sub tropical climate. We also live right on the river, in fact , the town itself is an island. It actually missed being the military academy of the US by a vote or two. That honor went to West Point. During the summer the humidity is constantly in the 90s, with the dew point in the mid 70s. A few friends of mine and I bought some Lancer L5AWMs about 4 years ago. I don't get out to shoot so much anymore, but they do, and they hunt with their ARs. Big farm and they hog hunt, coyote hunt, and just go out and shoot. They shoot and hunt during the rain. The boy that basically owns the farm , works it for his dad, keeps his with him in the truck, walking, 4 wheeler, or on his horse. He gets in the mud and all sorts of mess, the gun gets and stays dirty and wet. His and no others out of that group that I know of have had any issues. The only guy that bought when we did that I don't know about is a guy that lives in a different city now but used to live here. The others, one lives across the street, and the other lives in town, but is at the farm several days a week helping Trevor ( all of these guys are in their mid 20s, friends with my son and nephews and Trevor. ).

I can see if the inserted portion gets a good scratch down to the metal it would rust in that spot, and if not sanded and sprayed, it might spread, but even then, that's an easy fix and even with a little rust on that part, it won't affect function.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/paulvolk/Shooting/20160811_205932_zps1qycs6yg.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/paulvolk/Shooting/20160811_210447_zpsqo4u0ksy.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/paulvolk/Shooting/20160811_210839_zps6xlm62or.jpg
View Quote

Great info.  I am going to try this to see it the Lancers will feed my 6.8 based wildcats if the old L5s have this hump like the AWMs.

Boo.  The L5s have the hump, but even with it removed they still will not load and feed any of my 6.8s or 6.8 based wildcats.  Worth a try though and it still works fine with 5.56 and any .458 SOCOM based round.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I am just delighted we have these and other fine choices that next year may be outlawed a m
uch bigger concern to our mag desires
View Quote

That's good mileage. Any reason for the G3 over the G2?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cosmetics. IMO* the opaque L5's are plain and dowdy, the translucent mags are more attractive even though they might have come from the same mold. The main selling point of counting how many cartridges are within is a matter of personal preference, not a tactical doctrine professed by any training regimen of which I am aware.

Way back when the AUG was readily available with clear mags the gun press would take pics with the sun somewhere behind the subject to show off that feature. Also during that time if memory serves the high price and low availability of that magazine turned many away from the AUG weapon system, the mags sold for $30-$40 each? You could have spent more on mags than you did on the rifle, I'm sure no one willingly ran over the mags with 3/4-ton duallys to prove their toughness.

*BFA, graphic design.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Got about 100 pmags and 30ish lancers and they both work just fine in all my rifles, no complaints, but I have all lancers in my bug out bag and plate carrier, just trust them more to stand up to abuse when the time comes.

It comes down to preference, ill take lancers over pmags any day, not because pmags are bad, just prefer lancers more. Buying up both left and right, saving all the lancers, selling pmags during the next panic or selling at cost to friends and family that want.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a bunch of the USGI mags then
started buying PMAGS and now buying USGI again.

Found some windowed PMAGS and took the to a range trip. They wouldn't
seat and would fall out. I tried to call MAGPUL and their tech support sucks.

I don't.  I had some of the early M3 20's that wouldn't seat worth a crap on a closed bolt (the 2nd round would hop up in the stack and bind).  The rep on here said they would be replaced and to call in. The rep on the phone acted like I was full of shit and that it wasn't a problem.  He finally agreed to RMA them for me but had an attitude about it.

I got the replacement's (had to pay shipping to them) and magically they all work fine now....weird huh.

I am done with PMAG's after that experience and have purchased 60 Lancer's since then instead.  If I get the chance I will also dump the 50 Foliage Gen 2's as well and get USGI instead.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. It's called tactical marketing. 99% of the people will never go to war. But it's an endless cycle of, "omg you don't have the newest, war ready equipment?!  Loser!!!"

Pmags have proven themselves. End of story.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No. It's called tactical marketing. 99% of the people will never go to war. But it's an endless cycle of, "omg you don't have the newest, war ready equipment?!  Loser!!!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And GImags haven't?  You're buying Pmags over GImags because you think they're better right? But someone buying Lancers over Pmags because they think they're better is just being cool?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And GImags haven't?  You're buying Pmags over GImags because you think they're better right? But someone buying Lancers over Pmags because they think they're better is just being cool?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When one of your AK mags goes tits up....who you gonna call TODAY to replace it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you putting words in my mouth?  Show me where I said, or implied, anything like that.

The OP asked a question about people changing to Lancers.   That's what I addressed. It's tactical marketing to separate people from their money. Pmags work just fine and have s proven record. I never stated gi mags didn't. The fact that you inferred that indicates something about you.

Again, the VAST majority of people will never go to war. If you want to drop the coin because it's a hobby and it's cool I get it. But make no mistake companies are in this to make money and they do that by trying to convince us that if we don't have their product we have air soft type equipment and will die due to equipment failure the next time there is a minor social disturbance.

Not to mention there is a group of people in the community who are elitist. Snobs that will talk down to others who don't have the best of the best. It's ridiculous.

I have zero problems if you or anyone else wants to spend tons of money on equipment for whatever reason satisfies you. Just don't put words in my mouth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I prefer PMAGS.  My Lancer AWMs rattle too much when inserted
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why are you putting words in my mouth?  Show me where I said, or implied, anything like that.

The OP asked a question about people changing to Lancers.   That's what I addressed. It's tactical marketing to separate people from their money. Pmags work just fine and have s proven record. I never stated gi mags didn't. The fact that you inferred that indicates something about you.

Again, the VAST majority of people will never go to war. If you want to drop the coin because it's a hobby and it's cool I get it. But make no mistake companies are in this to make money and they do that by trying to convince us that if we don't have their product we have air soft type equipment and will die due to equipment failure the next time there is a minor social disturbance.

Not to mention there is a group of people in the community who are elitist. Snobs that will talk down to others who don't have the best of the best. It's ridiculous.

I have zero problems if you or anyone else wants to spend tons of money on equipment for whatever reason satisfies you. Just don't put words in my mouth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're still saying you're okay with people using Pmags with they're  typically a few bucks more than GIs. But buying Lancers over Pmags is just being cool.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, I have a ton of pmags. Really like them. One reason is price. But main reason the last few years I have been able to stock up on pmags. Cause they know how to make them !!! I can never find Lancers in stock. They are a little company that must only make a few hundred a week I guess.

I really have no use for companies that can't keep up with demand. The purpose of starting a company is to grow and expand. They have missed out on a ton of sales.

Lancer reminds me of Toyota. Currently 3 new Tacomas in a 1/2 million people city. Probly 500 Ford and Chevys. Wonder which one I'd have a better chance of buying ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Magpul.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul.

Uh......he ain't popping dents out of Magpul AK mags is he?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#50]
My personal experience is that I switched from Gen 2 Pmags to Gen 3 just because, but Gen 3 won't drop free from my old DPMS lower on my work rifle, so I got some Lancers on sale and they did, so I switched to them for my work rig.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top