Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2016 4:31:47 PM EDT
Like a lot of folks lately, I'm hunting magazines.  My current supply consists of Magpul Gen M2 MOE 30-rounders plus a few no-name mags that I picked up over the years at shows.  The M2's have never failed me but I've located a decent deal on "Magpul PMag M3" 30-rounders.  Just looking for opinions and/or a consensus on which might be better in terms of performance.  So far I've read that dust covers aren't interchangeable nor are their followers.

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I saw and have been reading the sticky up at the top that compares magazine features between makes & models.  What I'm interested in are users' opinions as to any difference in performance.

Thanks.

CB
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the M2 mags

The M3s were created because soldiers overseas were doing their immediate action for malfunction (SPORTS) in which the first step is to "slap" the magazine.  If they were stressed enough, they would slap the mag so hard that it would get forced into the upper receiver; creating a very, very, very bad malfunction that required an armorer to fix.  Magpul responded by adding in a tab on the spine of the mag that physically blocks the mag from going in too far.  Additionally, they put in this dot matrix so that you can label them in a fancy way.

The down side of these new mags is that the tab sticks out and can snag on the mag pouches when you try to draw them.  I find that they "stick" in the pouch and don't slide in and out as nice as the M2s.  Also, M2s are a little cheaper.

Just My $.02

Pic showing the tab and dot matrix on the M3 mag (right) and the sleeker profile of the M2(left)

Side note:  The army has recently changed the first step in "SPORTS" to "Seat the magazine"
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used both quite a bit and I prefer the M3 to the M2.  The over-travel stop is a good feature if you get rough with mag changes, the M3 has a beefed up mag catch slot, the floor plates are slimmer, and they're supposed to be stronger than the M2. I haven't broke an M2 or a 3 though.  The M3 30s and 20s share all parts except the mag body.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had no problems with the couple I have, but I prefer M2's for the price and I've never had an issue with them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I use both with no issues at all. I prefer the Gen M2 for the lower price.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The M3s were created because soldiers overseas were doing their immediate action for malfunction (SPORTS) in which the first step is to "slap" the magazine.  If they were stressed enough, they would slap the mag so hard that it would get forced into the upper receiver; creating a very, very, very bad malfunction that required an armorer to fix.  Magpul responded by adding in a tab on the spine of the mag that physically blocks the mag from going in too far.
View Quote

This is incorrect.   The overtravel stop was relocated to the rear of the magwell to allow compatibility with M27IAR magwells.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I prefer the M2 mags

The M3s were created because soldiers overseas were doing their immediate action for malfunction (SPORTS) in which the first step is to "slap" the magazine.  If they were stressed enough, they would slap the mag so hard that it would get forced into the upper receiver; creating a very, very, very bad malfunction that required an armorer to fix.  Magpul responded by adding in a tab on the spine of the mag that physically blocks the mag from going in too far.  Additionally, they put in this dot matrix so that you can label them in a fancy way.

The down side of these new mags is that the tab sticks out and can snag on the mag pouches when you try to draw them.  I find that they "stick" in the pouch and don't slide in and out as nice as the M2s.  Also, M2s are a little cheaper.

Just My $.02

Pic showing the tab and dot matrix on the M3 mag (right) and the sleeker profile of the M2(left)

http://thrumylens.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/FY7A1419-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

Side note:  The army has recently changed the first step in "SPORTS" to "Seat the magazine"
View Quote
Some other changes to note: The magazine's floor plate is now shielded from getting caught and ripped off.  I had a MSgt on my last SOTF who refused to use Pmags after he ripped the floor plate off a pmag getting out of a vehicle.  My understanding is the feed ramp geometry has been changed slightly to aid in feeding M855A1 and keep it from damaging M4 feed ramps.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is incorrect.   The overtravel stop was relocated to the rear of the magwell to allow compatibility with M27IAR magwells.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M3s were created because soldiers overseas were doing their immediate action for malfunction (SPORTS) in which the first step is to "slap" the magazine.  If they were stressed enough, they would slap the mag so hard that it would get forced into the upper receiver; creating a very, very, very bad malfunction that required an armorer to fix.  Magpul responded by adding in a tab on the spine of the mag that physically blocks the mag from going in too far.

Got a source?  Every article I've ever read has referred to now being able to do "aggressive" reloads without fear of over-insertion.  See below.  Not saying that you're wrong about the IAR, but I don't think it was their primary reasoning behind the feature.

http://blog.1800gunsandammo.com/magpul-pmags-everything-you-wanted-to-know/

This little shelf on the spine of the magazine is designed to prevent the mag from being inserted past that point into the magazine well of a gun. On most other mags like the aluminum GI design, an overly forceful insertion can cause the mag body to override the magazine catch inside the gun, especially if the catch is not installed properly. The overtravel stop of the M3 will contact the bottom of the magwell and stop the mag before the notch on the PMAG can go too far past the catch. You can now be as vigorous as you like with your magazine insertions and you won’t get in trouble with your mag.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what Magpul said.  The M2 has the over-travel stop on the front of the mag.  They put it on the back so it would be compatible with M27 and M16 magwells.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You are both correct. The M3 mag is based on the EMag used by the British SA80A2. The M27IAR's mag well is a HK 416 version that is based on the British SA80A2 magazine well.

The overtravel stop on the M2's are on the front that went away with the elongated mag well of the IAR/HK416/SA80 mag well and so was relocated in the rear on the M3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a source?  Every article I've ever read has referred to now being able to do "aggressive" reloads without fear of over-insertion.  See below.  Not saying that you're wrong about the IAR, but I don't think it was their primary reasoning behind the feature.

http://blog.1800gunsandammo.com/magpul-pmags-everything-you-wanted-to-know/

This little shelf on the spine of the magazine is designed to prevent the mag from being inserted past that point into the magazine well of a gun. On most other mags like the aluminum GI design, an overly forceful insertion can cause the mag body to override the magazine catch inside the gun, especially if the catch is not installed properly. The overtravel stop of the M3 will contact the bottom of the magwell and stop the mag before the notch on the PMAG can go too far past the catch. You can now be as vigorous as you like with your magazine insertions and you won’t get in trouble with your mag.

You are both correct. The M3 mag is based on the EMag used by the British SA80A2. The M27IAR's mag well is a HK 416 version that is based on the British SA80A2 magazine well.

The overtravel stop on the M2's are on the front that went away with the elongated mag well of the IAR/HK416/SA80 mag well and so was relocated in the rear on the M3.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
So which gen2 is suppose to be the weakest? I'm thinking it's the FDE but not sure. I have one I have experimented on with dye, and may try to over insert it by hand, and if that doesn't do it, maybe hitting it mag first into something hard. Not as hard as I can, but much harder than anything you would expect to happen in the field.
All of the videos I have watched doing this, used gen2 black, or gen3... never saw one using gen2 FDE  or one of the other colors.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So which gen2 is suppose to be the weakest? I'm thinking it's the FDE but not sure. I have one I have experimented on with dye, and may try to over insert it by hand, and if that doesn't do it, maybe hitting it mag first into something hard. Not as hard as I can, but much harder than anything you would expect to happen in the field.
All of the videos I have watched doing this, used gen2 black, or gen3... never saw one using gen2 FDE  or one of the other colors.
View Quote

Why not just use it until it breaks?  I think the mag torture thing is well overdone...
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why not just use it until it breaks?  I think the mag torture thing is well overdone...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  It's kind of like "Which lower is best?".  Aero might be "better" than an Anderson, but theyre all made to the same specs and there's not really much difference.  It's even less significant when you're talking about mags and other "expendable" parts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So there are videos of over insertion tests using FDE, foliage and OD? Please share...
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Agreed.  It's kind of like "Which lower is best?".  Aero might be "better" than an Anderson, but theyre all made to the same specs and there's not really much difference.  It's even less significant when you're talking about mags and other "expendable" parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely off point. Wouldn't you like to know how much pressure it takes to over insert a certain mag? If colors other than black, are not as strong as black, do you want to buy those mags that your life may someday depend on? Wouldn't you want to know what they are capable of?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Completely off point. Wouldn't you like to know how much pressure it takes to over insert a certain mag? If colors other than black, are not as strong as black, do you want to buy those mags that your life may someday depend on? Wouldn't you want to know what they are capable of?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be curious to see if there is any difference, but magpul is a trusted company and have publicly stated that their other colors are just as strong as black.  All their products have been heavily tested both by them and independently.  If you're having Pmag issues, magpul has awesome service and will likely fix it.  If the problem persists, it's probably your gun that's an issue.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I use both with no issues at all. I prefer the Gen M2 for the lower price.
View Quote

X2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top