Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2016 1:20:50 PM EDT
I am rather displeased with the Okay Surefeed 20rd magazines.

1. Thick teflon coating, mags no longer drop free.
2. New bottom plate locking method, makes removing follower a bitch, but is possible.
3. Light rusting. (around bottom plate tabs)

If it had one of these 3 issues I would probably over look it but all 3 of them makes me sad.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Not seeing the problem as far as issue #2. and issue #3. The floor plate on Okay ind. 20 round GI mags has always been retained by that method. Also, aluminum doesn't rust so I don't know what that reddish dust in the pictures is.

As for the mags not dropping free, what lowers are you using them in?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I am use to the Brownells 20rd. I always thought the okay mags were designed just like those but were a higher quality. I prefer the brownells.

I tried the mag in my two Anderson lowers and I am sure you will blame the Anderson lower being cheap but I disagree. This is the only mag that wont drop free.  Pmags, lancer,ets, brownells,hexmags, thermolds, blackhawk steel mags, and bcm mags all drop free.

I dont know where the rust came from. I was able to clean it off.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont know how these got past q/a.

Follower is sticking in the magazine. Rounds wont feed after the 3 or 4.

I am returning them.

Thanks for the help guys.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The "rust" on my Okay mags was from the orange cardboard insert in the package.
Mine also dropped free in three different Anderson lowers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I could get with vendors to get returned "defective" items at a discount.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I just popped open a 100ct case of Surefeed 20s and they're idintical to the Colt and NHMTG 20s I have here.   My favorite magazine bar none.  I don't like the teflon finish though.  OP needs to try a proper dry film finish.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought their 10 round variant and had issues as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just popped open a 100ct case of Surefeed 20s and they're idintical to the Colt and NHMTG 20s I have here.   My favorite magazine bar none.  I don't like the teflon finish though.  OP needs to try a proper dry film finish.
View Quote

Mine also, Samuse, along with the old ''Adventureline'' with the alloy followers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry OP - it's your anderson lower.

Buy cheap ... this is what happens.

I buy DD, LMT, Mega, Aero lowers and I've never had any USGI, PMAG, Lancer mags hang up... hmmmm
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
All 3 of my Andersons drop every magazine (over 60) I own. Only lower I've seen not drop mags is Bushy with G3 Pmags. All 50 in a brand new box stuck at my LGS. Just my own experiences.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Judging by the retaining tab these are straight 20s?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Break the retaining tab off, one problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't quote me on this but i have always thought that the tabs might be there on the 20 rnd mags to keep the floor plates from working themselves out of the magazine under rapid or full auto fire that maybe the little tiny tabs at  the edge of the plate (like the 30 rnders only have) just wasn't enough to keep it in place due to rapid fire or full auto.

Maybe the 30's don't have them because the mags are longer and absorb more of the vibration as it travels down the mag before getting to the floor plate, not to mention having more pressure to keep the floorplate on a 30 in place because it has more rounds and spring tension.

Maybe on the 20's the shock and vibration was working the plate loose and they added the tab to make sure the floorplates didnt work themselves loose either in the gun or during shipping oversea's as i believe they were issued "Pre loaded" ?

Im probly wrong on all of that, but it's there for a reason, and hasn't been changed for that very same reason on the old school straight 20 body design.

I wouldn't remove them, but that's just me..
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#15]
The tab has been there since long before 30s were even made.   Brownells 20s have the same type of plate and feedlips as the 30s.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:13:39 AM EDT
[#16]
^Yep ^ and i always thought they did away with it on the 30 rnd mag because the longer 30 rnd mags didn't have an issue with the floorplate working itself out do to my theory  above..

Since ive never heard anyone state for a fact the real reason the tab on the 20's is there and not on the later 30's ,its just my theory that makes sense to me as to possibly why the 20's have them and the later 30's dont.  

I didn't and don't mean to hickjack this man's post at all,, but if anyone knows or could shed light on this curiosity it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Uhm......it was a joke.  seriously though, you can break it off and use a 30rd floorplate.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry OP - it's your anderson lower.

Buy cheap ... this is what happens.

I buy DD, LMT, Mega, Aero lowers and I've never had any USGI, PMAG, Lancer mags hang up... hmmmm
View Quote

Sorry these are just bad mags, The dry film ones might be okay I dont know I never tried any but the teflon was bad. Made the mag out of spec.

My Anderson lowers never have any problems with USGI, PMAG, Lancer either..hhmmm...just OKAY teflon....HMMMM!

I will stick with the brownells 20 round mags...no teflon crap....no tab crap....always in spec :)

Also this thread is old....OKAY mags are returned....refunds issued...Brownells bought....time to necro this post.  No amount of anecdote will change my mind from personal experience.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Brownells 20s are fine, but dry-film Okays are a much better mag.   The teflon is for the fit 'n finish crowd that can't handle a scuff.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a bunch of the 20 round dry film surefeeds and they are awesome. I really like them on PDW and SBRs. They are cheap and easy to replace as they get beat up.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top