BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2016 4:20:31 PM EDT
I'm wondering what the high speed folks are using for steel mags these days in 2016?  I want to buy a rig's worth of steel 30 round mags (AR obviously)  I currently have a few C Products mags new in bag, and I haven't had time to test them. (they look extremely well made)  I know Mako makes steel mags.  HK.  I have one no brand steel mag made in the USA and it's been a champ.  Been using aluminum and pmags.  I don't like the idea of a polymer mag with steel feed lips.  I can envision the steel shattering when I drop it in the winter at -20 degrees.

Advice appreciated!

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The truth?

NONE!

There is a major reason the U.S. Military doesn't use steel magazines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm wondering what the high speed folks are using for steel mags these days in 2016?  I want to buy a rig's worth of steel 30 round mags (AR obviously)  I currently have a few C Products mags new in bag, and I haven't had time to test them. (they look extremely well made)  I know Mako makes steel mags.  HK.  I have one no brand steel mag made in the USA and it's been a champ.  Been using aluminum and pmags.  I don't like the idea of a polymer mag with steel feed lips.  I can envision the steel shattering when I drop it in the winter at -20 degrees.

Advice appreciated!

The truth?

NONE!

I agree with this but if I had to use steel mags I would use the ones from Beretta.

Best aluminum mags are made by Okay.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay or Center or Brownells g.i. mags are better than any steel mag I've seen.  If you want something hard to tear up, Pmags are tough.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The truth?

NONE!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advice appreciated!

The truth?

NONE!

Do tell.  What is the major reason the U.S. Military doesn't use steel magazines?  I've never heard of them being interested in anything but aluminum magazines for the m16 but am unaware that anything else has ever been tested by them.  The M14 seemed to do pretty well with steel magazines (as did the Thompson, the m3, and The m1 carbine)
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#5]
They used those H&K steel mags quite a bit for awhile right before the Pmag came out.  The main problem was weak springs, but they would also crack, rust, bend, and generally last for about a week of hard use.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had good luck w/ the Cammengas, but I've not used them hard @ all.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
2 ounce weight penalty and less reliable. I'd skip the steel mags.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was a Cammenga Distributor, I truly believed in them.

Back in the day we had a member who was torture testing a lot of mags (87GN). I sent him an EasyMag, he found that it held up better than other steel mags but it still wasn't as durable as a G.I. Aluminum mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I've had good luck w/ the Cammengas, but I've not used them hard @ all.

I was a Cammenga Distributor, I truly believed in them.

Back in the day we had a member who was torture testing a lot of mags (87GN). I sent him an EasyMag, he found that it held up better than other steel mags but it still wasn't as durable as a G.I. Aluminum mag.

The next mags I try will be the UniMag.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a mix of Pmag 20s & 30s, aluminum GI straight 20s and Mako steel 20s & 30s. All of them have run reliably, but the steel Makos are my favorite. Overall best fit in all my ARs.

I've handled the ASC steel mags, the steel bodies don't seem to be much heavier than their aluminum versions, vs the Makos which are heavy. If I go for a steel body, I want a heavy gauge stock. Also, I think Mako is the only source for a steel body 20 round mag, which is the main reason I have so many. I've gotten them from various places over the years and have paid around $10 a pop for both 20s & 30s, which is way less than their  list price. Makos don't have a great rep on this forum which may be why they're marked down.

My next mag purchase will either be a transparent/smoked Lancer or a Unimag. I shoot ARs in 5.56, 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 so one mag for all is something I'd like to see.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  I've got a mix of Pmag 20s & 30s, aluminum GI straight 20s and Mako steel 20s & 30s. All of them have run reliably, but the steel Makos are my favorite. Overall best fit in all my ARs.

I've handled the ASC steel mags, the steel bodies don't seem to be much heavier than their aluminum versions, vs the Makos which are heavy. If I go for a steel body, I want a heavy gauge stock. Also, I think Mako is the only source for a steel body 20 round mag, which is the main reason I have so many. I've gotten them from various places over the years and have paid around $10 a pop for both 20s & 30s, which is way less than their  list price. Makos don't have a great rep on this forum which may be why they're marked down.

My next mag purchase will either be a transparent/smoked Lancer or a Unimag. I shoot ARs in 5.56, 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 so one mag for all is something I'd like to see.  
View Quote

Cammenga makes a curved steel 20.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 30-round SCAR-16 mag made in the USA by FN. You can get then in tan or black.It fits my Knights Stoner SR-15 just fine.  I've only used it a couple times but it hasn't malfunctioned yet and the spring is quite strong. Excellent build quality; the steel is MUCH thicker than my C-Products stainless mags.

Beretta also makes a 30-round steel mag. I don't own one, nor have I ever shot one, but I handled one at the NRA convention and it seemed solidly built. I believe it too is made in the USA.

Both have a floorplate design that is significantly different than typical aluminum mags both in terms of design, appearance, and disassembly. I consider the floorplates better than aluminum mags in that disassembly doesn't require bending them. The spring keeps them in place.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow great info on steel, I appreciate everyones input.  I have mostly PMags and Okays.  I like the Okay mags the most and the Colt mags made by Okay I believe. I didn't know HK mags had issues, I was told they were gold standard.  I have to check out unimag, and Lancers have always looked cool but they have had issues not including my fear that the metal on polymer will potentially break in extreme cold.  I have handled the FNH steel mags, they are super heavy, you could use them as a blunt force object..  I like the old US steel I have but wont use it for anything but the range, and it's been boxed for a while now.  The CProducts I have seem really rugged.  The only reason I'm looking into steel is that I came across an NSN for sopmod steel mags, and I'm wondering which ones they use and why?  I also recently came across a new stainless steel mag thats lighter than the standard steel mags, and I'm wondering if this is the next step in metal mags?  I can't remember manufacturer, but theyre made in Israel I think, and not Mako, if I remember correctly. Picked up two elander mags to test out.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Wow great info on steel, I appreciate everyones input.  I have mostly PMags and Okays.  I like the Okay mags the most and the Colt mags made by Okay I believe. I didn't know HK mags had issues, I was told they were gold standard.  I have to check out unimag, and Lancers have always looked cool but they have had issues not including my fear that the metal on polymer will potentially break in extreme cold.  I have handled the FNH steel mags, they are super heavy, you could use them as a blunt force object..  I like the old US steel I have but wont use it for anything but the range, and it's been boxed for a while now.  The CProducts I have seem really rugged.  The only reason I'm looking into steel is that I came across an NSN for sopmod steel mags, and I'm wondering which ones they use and why?  I also recently came across a new stainless steel mag thats lighter than the standard steel mags, and I'm wondering if this is the next step in metal mags?  I can't remember manufacturer, but theyre made in Israel I think, and not Mako, if I remember correctly. Picked up two elander mags to test out.
View Quote

UniMag is only useful if you're running multiple calibers.  They're brand new - we don't know their longevity yet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Advice appreciated!

View Quote

I read an online top 5 list of mags (I forgot where), but it listed FNH SCAR16 steel mags in the top 5. It looks like they are $30 everywhere I look. That's kind of expensive. Anyone else have FNH steel mag experience to add?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I was browsing at Weaponcraft and unboxed a Scar mag and it was really heavy, I had to double check it. lol. It feels like three times heavier than a Pmag.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#19]
The Gen 3 Elander  30's have done a good job for me, I think I've got 9 or 10 of them in my range bag. The only problem I had with them was when I tried using them in a Tavor. They are real good mags in my AR-15's.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

<edited.......dpmmn>

After the SCREWING that Mako pulled for years on the defective magazines they sold, no one should give them one red cent.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gen 3 Elander  30's have done a good job for me, I think I've got 9 or 10 of them in my range bag. The only problem I had with them was when I tried using them in a Tavor. They are real good mags in my AR-15's.

<edited.......dpmmn>

After the SCREWING that Mako pulled for years on the defective magazines they sold, no one should give them one red cent.  

Yeah, I get that. At the time I bought mine they were getting good reviews and I went for it. I've been super happy with them all the way around but I get some folks haven't had the same experience.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
After newton when mags were horded I remember some Israeli mags that were steel that came out.  A ex coworker bought them, but I never saw them 1st hand.  I believe they were recommended here at the time because no one had any mags in stock. Can't remember what they were...
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#23]
CProducts Defense  stainless mag with stainless spring.  Noticeable difference from other metal mags.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I asked Mako a few questions on their optics line and they never took the time to reply. Screw them, They wont get my business.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do tell.  What is the major reason the U.S. Military doesn't use steel magazines?  I've never heard of them being interested in anything but aluminum magazines for the m16 but am unaware that anything else has ever been tested by them.  The M14 seemed to do pretty well with steel magazines (as did the Thompson, the m3, and The m1 carbine)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advice appreciated!

The truth?

NONE!

Before we get too far off topic this question hasn't yet been answered.  What is the major reason the US military doesn't use steel magazines?  There are TSMG and BAR magazines still around from the 20s, M1 carbine magazines around since the 40s.  There is nothing inherently bad with steel.  I assume the original specs called for aluminum for the 16 and nothing else has since been considered.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been using C-Prod steel mags for years now without any major issues. I do have one where the body is a little deformed, but other than that, they all run without issue.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a really nice steel mag that says USA on it.  I have never had feeding issues with it but I don't use it anymore.  It was a gift.  I also have a steel 40 round  mag that works great with no feed issues.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  The next reply will be how great someone's AR-15 ProMag is.
View Quote

I'll play - I've got a 5 rounder flush-fit ProMag.  Works fine.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#33]
bummer to hear what Mako did. I have a BUNCH of their 40's and 20's. Never a problem with either and they have some of the smoothest followers of any mag I have ever used. Was gonna buy a bunch of their 30's but now I will not after reading the info posted here on them. Why not just own up to the problem and move forward. makes no damned sense to me. They could own the steel mag market, imho, based on their follower alone. Not a smart business move to piss off the largest AR forum on the net.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I would avoid ASC mags.  I would say that their customer service is terrible, but that would imply that they actually have customer service.  Some of their mags work very well but if you get bad ones they won't fix or replace them.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I have about 40 of the old Charter England/Singapore steel magazines.  These came with the black followers.  I swapped them out with Magpul followers.  Other than one or two needing a little file work on the mag catches, they work great.  They are a tough mags, the feed lips are nearly indestructible.  I didn't have any problems with them feeding with the black followers, but I swapped them just for reliability sake.

I bought these before the 1994 ban expired.  I don't know if they are for sale any more.  I think I paid around $75 for 5 from SOG back then?
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#36]
After newton when mags were horded I remember some Israeli mags that were steel that came out.
A ex coworker bought them, but I never saw them 1st hand. I believe they were recommended here
at the time because no one had any mags in stock. Can't remember what they were...
View Quote

These were the so-called "Elander" steel mags... made by Mako.

I bought five at the time b/c everyone was either out-of-stock, or
price gouging.  (I personally have a screenshot of "Cheaper than Dirt" offering
a 30-rd used Colt mag for $100).  But I digress...

I personally had trouble with Elanders inserting/locking up when they were full and
the bolt was closed... and this was on a high-end LMT rifle, mind you...  many similar
stories, YouTube videos, etc., showing this.

These problems may or may not be fixed, but there are Soooo many proven choices now for
cheap, readily available, & reliable M16/AR15 mags, why take a risk?  I do get the attraction of
steel mags, with the political winds blowing the way that they are, but you can IMO address
this [theoretical long-term durability issues] with a few extra/polymer mags, that you know work.

If you haven't seen it, here's a poll I ran in the M16 forum a couple of months back... steel
mags aren't terribly popular over there, either...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_23/464921_M16_Magazine_Recommendations.html

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have about 40 of the old Charter England/Singapore steel magazines.  These came with the black followers.  I swapped them out with Magpul followers.  Other than one or two needing a little file work on the mag catches, they work great.  They are a tough mags, the feed lips are nearly indestructible.  I didn't have any problems with them feeding with the black followers, but I swapped them just for reliability sake.

I bought these before the 1994 ban expired.  I don't know if they are for sale any more.  I think I paid around $75 for 5 from SOG back then?
View Quote

You could really help out the Massachusetts folks with those, they're the only ones who still need the pre-ban mags.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Yup. They are screwed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think with Massachusetts's current legislation in the works that is all done with now

Someone correct me if I am wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  You could really help out the Massachusetts folks with those, they're the only ones who still need the pre-ban mags.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I think with Massachusetts's current legislation in the works that is all done with now

Someone correct me if I am wrong

What's coming down the pike?  Their AG just unilaterally rewrote the enforcement of their law, but I'm not tracking she banned pre-ban magazines.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#41]
What's up with the USGI mags? Worthy or not?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It doesn't get any better than Okay Industries magazines.

They are the largest supplier of U.S.G.I. magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's up with the USGI mags? Worthy or not?

It doesn't get any better than Okay Industries magazines.

They are the largest supplier of U.S.G.I. magazines.

They have the contract because they are the lowest bidder that meets the minimum standard, not because they are the highest quality.

That said, Okay mags are definitely a good option.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#44]
They are probably the best mags overall but they have a lifespan like anything else.  My intent to open this post was to see if a worthy 30rd steel option was available, to get a loadout that has a longer lifespan than aluminum.  I think so far the only steel option for military use is FNH mags, even though others are available that are good quality like HK. If you look at the recommended magazine inspection protocols used by the various branches there are several components that when damaged can be replaced to get a magazine back operational. Of those items, the body itself cannot be replaced, and anything that effects the path of the follower or the ability to lock open an empty mag calls to discard the mag.  Dents, corroded, and overly pitted mag bodies etc.  So far I have found some information on newer steel magazines made out of better grades of stainless which apprently keep the mag lighter and less prone to denting.  But so far I haven't been able to confirm which exact magazine is usgi steel in 30 rd config.  I believe it's the FNH mag, and Okay makes a usgi steel mag according to their website, but I can't confirm it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:42:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Alloy mags are cheap they work and Uncle Sam buys in bulk.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#47]
What about Fusil steel magazines?  I vaguely remember hearing about them 5 or so years ago but don't know anything about them.  They were mig welded spring steel, a complete magazine made from the stuff lancer uses for its feed lips.  There is one and only one reason the military doesn't use steel magazines which is the same reason they don't use polymer mags: they are satisfied with aluminum magazines.  If they wanted a steel magazine they would have a steel magazine...
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#48]
We were ussued HK steel mags for a while. They were the most troublesome magazine we had ever used. Steel is an awnser to a non-existent problem. I like our current issue gi mags and pmags. Out of all the gi mags we've been issued, colt mags have been the worst,  but not by a lot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#50]
You can call BS all you want but it is how I see it as the guy who is a FI, runs the armory. This is based on my personal experiences, but like I said not by a whole lot. Could be a coincidence, who knows, but this is based on hundreds of mags in just the last few years. But then we are actually using our magazines in the field not playing with them on the couch, lol. Don't have a clue why they fail more often as I usually mark them as bad and throw them in the trash when we come in from the field. They also don't work in my personal RDB for some reason, they lock in place will strip a round but when you fire them they fall out, lol, weirdest thing, I only have two Colt mags in my bag and they both do it but they work OK in my M-4. Just looked through a stack of mags and besides Colt we have parsens, adventure line, okay, and Brownell's, they all work great in service use, I think all gov't issued aluminum mags are pretty much equivalent and all the brand preference is perpetuated by couch jockey's. As long as they are GI they tend to work pretty well, I think used and after market mags are where you have to look closely. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top