BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/7/2016 3:38:52 PM EDT
I'm new to AR's, so be gentle with me...

I've got several Pmags and I like them quite a bit.  I'm wondering what other brands of polymer mags are as good and reliable as Pmags.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
For a good quality magazine, I find the PMAGS are as good as any of the poly magazines, no reason to change if you already have them, I have Troy, PMag, Aluminum and they all run fine in my guns.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Hex Mags are quite good and are pretty unique looking.  Also nice if you plan color coding your mags for different purposes.  Magpul really is the standard though; their older gens are super cheap too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hex Mags are quite good and are pretty unique looking.  Also nice if you plan color coding your mags for different purposes.  Magpul really is the standard though; their older gens are super cheap too.
View Quote

Any quality differences between the older Pmags and the newer generations?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Lancer AWM
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There were a few fitment issues with some early mags not dropping free from some (mostly 'budget') lowers, but a little bit of light filing of Magpul material cleared that up pretty quick.

Once you figure it out, it's a breeze.  The magwell interference was more annoying than it was a major issue.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lancer AWM
View Quote

These are the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
ETS
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have and use Pmags with no problems.  I also use, Lancer, ETS, and Tango Down MK2 mags and have had no problems with these either..
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ETS
View Quote

Came here to say this...
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I love both PMAGs and Lancers. I prefer M2s since you can clip the impact covers on the bottom, better than spending the extra dollars on Ranger plates IMO.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Lancer AWM
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love both PMAGs and Lancers. I prefer M2s since you can clip the impact covers on the bottom, better than spending the extra dollars on Ranger plates IMO.
View Quote

It was my understanding that M2s no longer come with impact/dust covers. Only M3s. Although the covers are still much less expensive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#13]
A few guys I know use ETS. They love them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Lancer and ETS also been great for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#15]
The question...."Polymer Mags as good, or better than Pmags"?

Pmags ARE polymer!

Plastics are manufactured using polymers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pmags ARE polymer!

View Quote

I am aware of that.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It was my understanding that M2s no longer come with impact/dust covers. Only M3s. Although the covers are still much less expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All my M2 PMAGs were purchased before the M3s came out. I am disappointed that new M2s longer come with them and that M3s cant have them snapped to the bottom. Also not big on black and sand color only options, otherwise I did get 6 M3s to test out, haven't had the chance to yet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#18]
i picked up 4 MFT mags last october on a visit to Palmetto State Armory's Greenville store and have been using them more than my pile of surplus GI or Pmags. ive since picked up 4 more. i also have 6 thermold mags that i, and my family has used since the early 90s with NO problems what so ever...
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Lancer and ETS have both been pretty good.   Troy have never failed for me but the other mags can usually be found cheaper and I personally would trust them more.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Back during the AWB in 94 a bunch of Israeli Orlite mags were imported and sold cheap when no other standard capacity mags were for sale.   I bought about  a dozen of the Orlite which were ex IDF mags and many had started to spread apart near the feed lips (will loose rounds if dropped).   I also bought a couple new Orlites which weren't to bad but in no way are they the quality of PMags.   I also have a few Thermold 30 rounders which were supposedly used by the Canadian armed forces.   I would not recommend either today but thses were on the market years before the Magpuls were released.   Not all polymer, steel or aluminum mags are created equal, buyer be ware.   My primary go to mags today are NHMTG, Brownell's, Colt and gen 3 PMags.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pmags ARE polymer!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pmags ARE polymer!

Is there a reason you removed the OP's own words?  

I'm wondering what other brands of polymer mags are as good and reliable as Pmags

my Pmags never disappoint, but I only buy Lancers now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pmags ARE polymer!

View Quote

I suspect the question meant was Are there any other "Polymer Mags as good, or better than Pmags"?;
not Are "Polymer Mags as good, or better than Pmags"?
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I suspect the question meant was Are there any other "Polymer Mags as good, or better than Pmags"?;
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pmags ARE polymer!

That's correct.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Lancers.

They take one hell of a beating and keep on working
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for Lancer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#26]
In my opinion, Lancers are the best and well worth the small premium.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is where I'm at.
We have a good supply of Lancers for our "social" needs.
Pmags and D&H for stockpiling.
For training / range use, well used G.I. mags of different flavors that I got cheap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Lancer AWMs and USGI are the only mags I will buy from now on. Metal feed lips for the win.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Have a ton of Pmags, a half dozen lancers and a half dozen ETS mags.

With that said, ETS mags are what I will be buying from now on...
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Although I use Pmags & USGI for range use.
Tomac
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Once I learned how to modify the Lancers so that a full magazine seats easily with a closed bolt, LANCERS.

(File down the post on the floor plate)

But USGI and PMags have never let me down either.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Once I learned how to modify the Lancers so that a full magazine seats easily with a closed bolt, LANCERS.

View Quote

That is weird, my Lancers will seat fully loaded without an issue, and I have 4 of the 1st gen ones and 2 AWMs, unmodified (Need to stock up but opaque smoke AWMs seem to be out of stock everywhere...)
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That is weird, my Lancers will seat fully loaded without an issue, and I have 4 of the 1st gen ones and 2 AWMs, unmodified (Need to stock up but opaque AWMs seem to be out of stock everywhere...)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is weird, my Lancers will seat fully loaded without an issue, and I have 4 of the 1st gen ones and 2 AWMs, unmodified (Need to stock up but opaque AWMs seem to be out of stock everywhere...)

https://www.pegasusdefense.com/store/products/143
$12.95 for opaque black. Shipping is $8.50 but if you spend $200 (at least 16 mags) then you get $8.50 "Promo Savings"
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lancer AWM

This
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

$12.95 for opaque black. Shipping is $8.50 but if you spend $200 (at least 16 mags) then you get $8.50 "Promo Savings"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant translucent smoke, not opaque but that looks like a great deal, thank you!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"good and reliable" is a rather vague term which will invoke some very subjective answers. It is our view that magazine reliability comes from specific geometry that is consistently maintained by high "tensile" strength material.

There are few tests out there that are as good as long term combat deployments to vet something such as a magazine. A review of what is used and accepted Iraq and Afghanistan gives a good idea of where magazines stack up in real world durability/functionally.

In the last 8 years of various combat operations the most utilized polymer magazine for the M4 is by far the M2 PMag (window and non window).

It's followed by the M3 PMag (which was introduced about 4 years ago). After this is the EMag (Euro version of the PMag issued to all deployed UK troops since 2011 and various US Military units using the HK416)

These three magazine designs make up over 95% of polymer mag usage overseas with their next distant competitor being a foreign made version very similar to the PMag design.

I know this information might not help answer your original question, but the lack of an answer is an answer in itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm new to AR's, so be gentle with me...

I've got several Pmags and I like them quite a bit.  I'm wondering what other brands of polymer mags are as good and reliable as Pmags.

"good and reliable" is a rather vague term which will invoke some very subjective answers. It is our view that magazine reliability comes from specific geometry that is consistently maintained by high "tensile" strength material.

There are few tests out there that are as good as long term combat deployments to vet something such as a magazine. A review of what is used and accepted Iraq and Afghanistan gives a good idea of where magazines stack up in real world durability/functionally.

In the last 8 years of various combat operations the most utilized polymer magazine for the M4 is by far the M2 PMag (window and non window).

It's followed by the M3 PMag (which was introduced about 4 years ago). After this is the EMag (Euro version of the PMag issued to all deployed UK troops since 2011 and various US Military units using the HK416)

These three magazine designs make up over 95% of polymer mag usage overseas with their next distant competitor being a foreign made version very similar to the PMag design.

I know this information might not help answer your original question, but the lack of an answer is an answer in itself.

Thanks.  Very interesting.  Right now I have a small mix of Pmags and D&H mags.  I may just stock up on a few more Pmags along with a few Lancers and ETS..
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#38]
ETS. Just as strong if not stronger than any polymer counterparts and no worries about rust. Plus you can buy the version with built in coupler if that's your thing.

They are pretty much all I buy now. Just wish they'd make them for the M&P. Who cares about Glock?! Heh
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#39]
PMags are fine mags and will serve you for life.  There is no need to replace you PMags.  Going forward, I would suggest getting ETS mags and Lancer mags instead though.  The clear body construction makes for a better user experience.  My favorite are Lancers, but the translucent Lancers are overpriced, and I consider the ETS mags the better value.  I have 0 interest in Opaque Lancers.  

I also suggest getting about 4 or 5 clear 20's.  I think Lancer is the only one making such, though ETS is working on it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
ETS. Just as strong if not stronger than any polymer counterparts and no worries about rust.  

View Quote

Lots of steel in an M16 so if you are truly worried about rust you are SOL.  There are more important things to worry about....
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
ETS. Just as strong if not stronger than any polymer counterparts and no worries about rust. Plus you can buy the version with built in coupler if that's your thing.

They are pretty much all I buy now. Just wish they'd make them for the M&P. Who cares about Glock?! Heh
View Quote

U.S.G.I. magazines are aluminum, aluminum doesn't rust!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lancer AWM

This, Lancer combines the best of USGI and polymer with anti-tilt.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought 11 Lancers in FDE from DSG Arms, and they look and feel great. Also bought 10 D&H mags from Palmetto Armory. We'll see how good they are.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#45]
+1 for Lancer, wish they make some for CZ scorpion Evo 3 though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a bunch of ETS and Lancer mags. The ETS are the ones that go to the range with me now.
Pmags will be used as trading stock for any "panic" in the future.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think he was comparing our feedlips to the non-stainless lips on Lancer, not anything to do with a USGI...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

U.S.G.I. magazines are aluminum, aluminum doesn't rust!

I think he was comparing our feedlips to the non-stainless lips on Lancer, not anything to do with a USGI...

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Pmag and smoked Lancer are both my favorites.  If the Lancer was just a hair cheaper it would get the nod only because I like the smoked mags so much.  Pmags are hard to beat though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I have 70 or 80 P-mags and love them. A few are Gen 1 but most are Gen 2. They all work very well.

I really like Lancers too. I want to buy a few more just to have them long term. Once I find a good deal or free shipping I'll have to jump on them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
but the lack of an answer is an answer in itself.
View Quote

It makes sense that you would be a fan of your own product, but you must have missed the several rexommendations for the Lancer L5 AWM.  I own and use both, but if I could only keep one it would be the Lancer L5 AWM.  It is the best of both worlds: polymer body and steel feed lips.  I will absolutely concede the point that the Magpul PMag is an excellent performer at a lower price, though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top