Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2016 2:46:25 AM EDT
Since Magpul no longer makes Olive Drab magazines, I would like to dye some of the 'sand' colored mags. I am trying to match the Olive Drab Hogue furniture. Does anyone know which colors and how much of each color of Rit Dye would get me closest to my desired color? I performed a search going back 2 years and also searched Google. I could not find any real answers to my question.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By fadetoblack73:
Since Magpul no longer makes Olive Drab magazines, I would like to dye some of the 'sand' colored mags. I am trying to match the Olive Drab Hogue furniture. Does anyone know which colors and how much of each color of Rit Dye would get me closest to my desired color? I performed a search going back 2 years and also searched Google. I could not find any real answers to my question.
View Quote

Trial and error...
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:00:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SamuelAdams1776] [#2]
Hunter Green by RIT is what you seek.  I've not done mags but muslin.  It matched the green in woodland camo perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SamuelAdams1776:
Hunter Green by RIT is what you seek.  I've not done mags but muslin.  It matched the green in woodland camo perfectly.
View Quote

I am unable to find 'Hunter Green'. When I search for the term, I can only find 'Dark Green'. 'Dark Green' is definitely not Olive Drab.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hunt around. You can still find OD mags. Plenty of gun shops around here have them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: B62stew] [#5]
I made a topic about my experiment with rit dye: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1830435_Rit_Dye_MAGPUL_AK_Mags__A_How_To_Guide_.html

In Summary:

For OD green it uses 1 Tbsp of Dark Brown powder and one container of Dark Green powder with the mag left in the water with the dye mixture for two minutes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By B62stew:
I made a topic about my experiment with rit dye: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1830435_Rit_Dye_MAGPUL_AK_Mags__A_How_To_Guide_.html

In Summary:

For OD green it uses 1 Tbsp of Dark Brown powder and one container of Dark Green powder with the mag left in the water with the dye mixture for two minutes.
View Quote

PERFECT! Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I used a yellow and blue RIT mixture on an FDE pmag and got a olive like color. It's to the right of the oringal OD Pmag in the picture. Top row, middle...

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By fadetoblack73:
View Quote

They don't? I thought they did.  But, if you want to dye gen 3 instead of buying gen 2 (many prefer gen 2 over gen 3 for AR15) for funzies it should be pretty easy
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Where did you get the 'no longer making' info for ODG?  Magpul's web site still shows that color??
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I too had to mix brown and green to get close.  But I would look around the interwebz for factory colored mags
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:45:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadetoblack73] [#12]
Originally Posted By JayC:
Where did you get the 'no longer making' info for ODG?  Magpul's web site still shows that color??
View Quote

Quoted from the website:

PRODUCT UPDATES
With the launch of Stealth Gray across the board, we will be discontinuing Foliage Green as a color option, to be completely phased out by the end of 2014. Also, based on demand and to maintain consistency across our line of magazine products, all non-black MOE magazine color options will be discontinued by the end of 2014.

http://ns1.magpul.com/now-shipping-stealth-gray-parts-and-pmag-lrsr-accessories.html

(bottom of page)
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
What's the recipe for turning sand Pmags into FDE pmags?
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#14]
" target="_blank">

all start out foliage & with varying amounts of emerald green & black they turn out this way..
Stippling extra effort!
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Dark green made a decent OD for me. I  had them in the dye for 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 13starsinax:
Dark green made a decent OD for me. I  had them in the dye for 15 minutes.
View Quote
Guessing you dyed some PMAGs. What was the base color of the mag, fde, light tan, or the new Marine Corps tan?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mhbaker81:

Guessing you dyed some PMAGs. What was the base color of the mag, fde, light tan, or the new Marine Corps tan?
View Quote
Ha, I hadn't noticed that the acronym MCT works for that, too, though the actual name for the color is medium coyote tan.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Locutus494:
Ha, I hadn't noticed that the acronym MCT works for that, too, though the actual name for the color is medium coyote tan.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Locutus494:

Shit... I did it without even realizing. You are correct. Medium Coyote Tan is the official acronym. Ego-centric, Marines (like me) have started calling it the other, as the mags were made for USMC issue. Pretty sure Marines also came up with the term "soup sandwich", so what the hell does that tell you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Shit... I did it without even realizing. You are correct. Medium Coyote Tan is the official acronym. Ego-centric, Marines (like me) have started calling it the other, as the mags were made for USMC issue. Pretty sure Marines also came up with the term "soup sandwich", so what the hell does that tell you.
View Quote
I like it though. We'll say Magpul made the name to fit that acronym on purpose, since the founders are Marines, too. Have you already got Pmags issued? We haven't where I'm at, though we're all POGs here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:57:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I have finally mastered Magpul OD green, but there is a catch... The base piece/color was a Tango Down stubby foregrip in their version of Foliage Green. Recipe was 50oz of water at a near boil with only 2 tablespoons of Dark Brown liquid RIT dye. Soak time is exactly 30 seconds, as TD polymer parts absorb color very quickly. This recipe works on any TD parts in Foliage, which could help somebody out. I am very close to Magpul OD with a Sand PMAG, as well, but still working on perfecting things.

Here are some before and after shots.

Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Did anyone happen to figure out FDE to ODG? I know... holy old thread revival Batman!
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone tried equal parts yellow and black?

During WWII, this was listed as a field expedient method for making OD green on the fly.

I have mixed it with good success using testor model paints, but I have never employed in on a scale model. I think it somewhat depends on what pigments were used to produce the black dye you are working with, but might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cahillsks:
Has anyone tried equal parts yellow and black?

During WWII, this was listed as a field expedient method for making OD green on the fly.

I have mixed it with good success using testor model paints, but I have never employed in on a scale model. I think it somewhat depends on what pigments were used to produce the black dye you are working with, but might be worth a try.
View Quote
Kind of off topic, but when mixing Rit for a ghille suit, I was surprised how much yellow I needed to get OD.  I used the liquid dark green, a little brown, and a whole bunch of yellow to get jute to OD.  This was over 10 years ago, so I do not remember even approximate amounts.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top