BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/4/2015 11:41:10 PM EDT
So I have 2 ARs, and about 70 magazines for them - mostly Pmags.  While I'm well satisfied with my inventory, reading through the pinned "mag whores" thread, it would seem I have a woefully inadequate supply by comparison.  

What is the strategy behind having hundreds of mags per riffle?  ??
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
You have enough for those two rifles.  Now you need to buy two more rifles and 70 mags to go with them.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
What is the strategy behind having hundreds of mags per riffle? ??
View Quote

When the federal assault weapons ban was in effect, which included a ban on "high capacity feeding devices", well used GI aluminum mags were going for 3 or 4 times what brand new mags cost today, and that's not adjusting for inflation.

It's a good idea to have more than you think you'll need, plus a decent cache that you can sell off in the future.

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#3]
A magazine will work for 30+ years, an AR rifle will work for 100+ years, how much ammo do you have?  That is the one expended in use asset that will render your other components just aluminum...
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A magazine will work for 30+ years, an AR rifle will work for 100+ years, how much ammo do you have?  That is the one expended in use asset that will render your other components just aluminum...
View Quote

I believe I have about 5000 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:31:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#6]
OP you're OK on magazines (might add a couple aluminums when they're on sale) but you need another 7,000 rounds of ammo !
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Enough to wear out a bunch of barrels (and mags)...
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
First, there isn't such a thing as too many magazines.

But, factoring reality in, I have at least 10 magazines per weapon.

I concentrate on quality over quantity.

I pretty much only purchase magazines manufactured by Okay Industries.

Then I change the followers to Magpul Gen III Yellow followers

Then I change the floorplate to the Magpul Ranger L floorplate, it cushions the mag if dropped and won't blow off like the factory thin aluminum unit if dropped on a had surface when fully loaded.

I REALLY want to try the new Okay SUREFeed magazines in Black Teflon finish

I do have other brands and materials but Okay mags as modified are my "go to" mags.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Never enough.
If you can afford to buy more quality mags, why not?

I buy them cheap and stack them deep.
There isn't a single magazine I couldn't' sell for a profit from my stash.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#10]
OP don't worry, you have enough mags. The mag whore thread is not the normal quantity that most owners have. They get a kick out of seeing how big of a pile they can accumulate.
Heck I know a few people that think more than 5 mags is hoarding.

I've got 100 NHMTG in 20 and 30 round flavors, and enough ammo to refill them all several times over. That's a ton of mags I will never wear out.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Thought I had plenty, but came across a deal on 10 pmags. I am more of a deal whore than a mag whore
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Think of them as currency, as seen during the "Great Gun-Grab Scare of 2012" magazines especially Pmags became the most trade-able item in the EE. I still remember CTD selling them for $99.00 a piece and people were actually buying them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
You're set on mags. If anything it would be good to have a couple "spare lowers" laying in a safe with sealed tins of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Just 1 more!
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I think 70 is PLENTY for two rifles. If there is another ban it will likely NOT be just like the 94-04 ban. banning possession will be "their" main goal, if not though, you will likely have to declare/register($$ for each one) what you have and transfers will banned.

I think buying hundreds and hundreds of mags with the mindset that if there is another ban you will be able to cash in and make money is a bad idea. IF there is a President and Congress that allows or pushes a mag ban through, believe me, they will make it as restrictive as possible if not an outright ban on possession. I'm sure they'll let you turn them in for a tax credit or some BS though so no one can bitch about how much money they lost....

Buy what you think you may need for a lifetime so if they do allow you to keep what you have you will be set but don't go overboard thinking you will be the Scarface of PMags.....
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that's the most "likely" future of any new mag bans. No grandfathering, no transferring, no possession, no selling (but Uncle Sam will gladly take them off your hands).
The everyday Joe Blow would not chance being caught trying to make a few bucks selling felony contraband mags.

Scarface of PMags
View Quote

Say hello to the massive harem of my little friend!
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think that's the most "likely" future of any new mag bans. No grandfathering, no transferring, no possession, no selling (but Uncle Sam will gladly take them off your hands).
The everyday Joe Blow would not chance being caught trying to make a few bucks selling felony contraband mags.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Scarface of PMags

You should have more than you need, enough for relatives/friends in need, enough to trade/barter and a lot more than anyone will ever know you have!!!!

JUST HOARD!!!   IN ALL CALIBERS!!!

And learn to reload.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#18]
17 more should do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Modern doctrine is move-and-shoot, which means you might have to leave magazines behind during spirited defense or civil disobedience. That also means you only have what you're carrying at the time, so long as you're prepared to restock your go-gear a few times you will be fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Never enough!

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#21]

DAYUM!

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
70 mags is more than enough for the rest of your life.

My standard recommendation:

Ten 20 round magazines (20 rounds is more than enough for anything actually practical, and you'll find that for things like hunting in the field with much hiking, vehicle egress, range usage, and competition such as High Power, 20 round magazines are more desirable than 30 round magazines).  Mixed manufacture, with at least 2 that are straight GI aluminium (just in case you shoot high power competition).

Twenty 30 round magazines.  Mixed manufactures.  Be sure to get some clear ones - you'll find those become your favorite and the ones you actually use the most.  Lancer is known-good, and I'm going to pick up a couple EWS this week ($13 delivered, why not?).  Here in 2015, if I could trade out all my non-clear magazines for clear, I'd do that at 2:1 in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 4:30:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm comfortable with about 10 mags per gun (mostly PMag with mixed in Okay, D&H and Brownells and whatever else I'm "testing") plus:

2 per 50 cal ammo can otherwise filled with 20 round boxes and silica gel
2 loaded with HD ammo for each HD rifle
5 20 rounders and 2 30 rounders in my range bag
My "3 gun" set - only used for 3 gun, all PMags - 4 30 rounders for general use, 2 20 rounders for (WTF, prone under a junk car? stages), 2 linked 30 rounders, and 2 40 or 48 rounders.
2 5 and 2 10 round mags in case I ever get the opportunity to hunt with an AR.

I will say that I'm buying more as I find them reasonably.  I was a competitive shooter during the AWB and remember what it would cost for a full-capacity STI or AR mag.  I agree that an outright ban more likely if it happens again, but I'm hedging my bets.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a lifetime supply now but never can pass up a good deal on more.  Just bought 30 PMAGs from DSG.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Something I think a lot of people overlook..... some rifles don't like a particular brand of mags (My old DPMS doesn't like Gen1 PMAGS).  Also, different magazines from different brands may have components/materials that degrade over time (the magazines from a particular manufacturer where all the springs rusted for example).   Thus, while 70 mags is plenty, you might want to add some variety. I have 8 mages from just about every type I can find (PMAG Gen2, Gen3, Sand, Emags, D&H, Center, Okay, NHMTG, Brownells, HK, Lancer, etc.)
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Something I think a lot of people overlook..... some rifles don't like a particular brand of mags (My old DPMS doesn't like Gen1 PMAGS).  Also, different magazines from different brands may have components/materials that degrade over time (the magazines from a particular manufacturer where all the springs rusted for example).   Thus, while 70 mags is plenty, you might want to add some variety. I have 8 mages from just about every type I can find (PMAG Gen2, Gen3, Sand, Emags, D&H, Center, Okay, NHMTG, Brownells, HK, Lancer, etc.)
View Quote

This is very true.  I have a Noveske that will run flawlessly with any magazine except for NHMTG.  That's the last brand I thought a Noveske would have trouble with, but it's a no go with that one.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

I look at one of those 8 boxes, then look at my wallet. I then make a sad face and look away :(
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#28]
As others have noted you should be not just thinking about it as a consumable item that will last a long time but eventually wear out.

You also need to consider the legal implications of future legislation. If a total and outright ban goes into effect with no grandfather clause then I'd still want as many as I could get.

If there was a grandfather clause with the ability to still sell them you might want enough to sell some for profit.

So there is "enough" but you'd have a hard time convincing me it 10 per rifle. Or even 20. Again, those numbers are fine if everything stays the way it is now. I'm guessing it won't though.

Whenever you see a deal just buy. Ten here and there add up. A lot of people can come up with $100 a month if they try.

In ten months that's 100 mags. Then you can rest.

I'm at a little less than 50 mags per AR. Total overkill......in the current political climate. That's the kicker you can't count on always being the same. Plan now while it's easy to. Mags are DIRT cheap now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Plan now while it's easy to. Mags are DIRT cheap now.
View Quote

This.

For brand new mags, you won't get any cheaper than deals available right now.

You can rest easy knowing that you can always sell the mags and get back most of what you paid.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got 4 Ar15's and a AR pistol with 1 spr build under way. I currently have 76 30rd mags and 12 20rd mags. I feel 20 standard capacity (30rd) mags per rifle is a good number for long guns. (10 being absolute minimum) Anything over that is gravy/barter material. 20's are nice for bench work and  your ammo last a little longer if you reload them at the range
I also agree with a variety of mags. I've got 46 pmags (gen 1, 2 and 3) 25 D and H  and 5 c-products (CT vintage). I'll be adding some 40 round pmags, lancers and Okay/surefeed in the near future (before the summer crazyness) I'd like to hit 150 by then.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Now you need to buy a second AR so that you can then get more mags.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I have "enough" to shoot with at 6 per gun.  I rarely use more than that or take more than that to the range.  With that said, I like to go to gun shows.  Probably 4-5 per year.  I rarely buy much at the gun shows and almost never buy a gun.  I do, however, pick up a magazine or two at every show because they're cheap and an easy target for the gun grabbing liberals.  I figure I have to walk out with something, otherwise it isn't worth going.  Grabbed two 20 round metal mags yesterday in Salem.  One Colt, one Adventureline.  Got a couple PMAGs at the show before that.  I'm constantly on the lookout for reasonably priced mags for my old Colt Woodsman, but haven't had much luck.  AR mags are typically cheap, so I poke around for interesting examples and default to windowed PMAGs if I don't see anything else.  It's hard to say how many I have in my collection now.  Plenty are still in the wrapper.  I figure I buy 5-10 AR mags per year and to date have only had two mags that I've had to trash.  One Colt USGI had a broken tab on holding the tab on the bottom, and one other USGI was tweaked and wouldn't go in the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

When the federal assault weapons ban was in effect, which included a ban on "high capacity feeding devices", well used GI aluminum mags were going for 3 or 4 times what brand new mags cost today, and that's not adjusting for inflation.

It's a good idea to have more than you think you'll need, plus a decent cache that you can sell off in the future.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
What is the strategy behind having hundreds of mags per riffle? ??

This .... and there is nothing worse than living in a Federal assault weapons Ban environment and kicking yourself for not buying more when you could have for $10 per Magpul... then the gloom sets in....because you realize if you want more.... it is gonna really cost you.

So the question really comes down to..... can you live with that thought, and do you really have enough to live with. ?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#34]
you can get to 30 rifle really fast.  10 loaded and ready in some gear.  10 to go to the range, or compete with.  10 niw to backup the first 20.  that is not a luxury by any means.  I started with 8 used usgi mags from the 80s that I bought in 2000.  they still have the red GA mud in them, and cracked feed lips up to 1/2" long.  and they were 10$ each.  The ban sucked hard, and messed a lot of people up.

For me, I kept getting lowers, so I had to keep an eye on my ratio as the flock grew.  if you add 2 lowers, and expect to ever give one away, you will wish like hell you had more mags.  Just chip away, always by low, 7$ DH all over, and 10$ magpuls.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
...and there is nothing worse than living in a Federal assault weapons Ban environment and kicking yourself for not buying more when you could have...
View Quote

This is a part of my thinking as well. I have more than I'll ever truly 'need', but when the clinton awb sunsetted in 2004, I had a real "never again" mindset. When the ban took effect in 1994, I had only two ar's and iirc 10-12 magazines total; probably 8-10 30's and a few 20's; all GI style.

Have to remember that 1994 (and 1995, 1996, 1997, etc, thru 2004) we didn’t know whether the ban would really be allowed to sunset or not; so for literally a decade, as far as we knew, what we had was all we would ever have. You could still find some around for sale that were mfr’ed before the ban date, but they got crazy expensive. It was common for standard glock mags to sell for $70-$80, even used. (Full disclosure, I could still get “LEO” magazines, but if I’d left the dept in that timeframe, I’d have had to turn them in, sell them to another LEO, or destroy them.)

The ban did sunset. Will the next one? Idk.

Could be other complications to consider as well – a next ban could include a tax on each pre-existing magazine or an outright ban on possession rather than just on production.  That would be bad. But no way to know what will happen, so I’d rather hedge my bets on the side of having ‘too many’ than ‘not enough’.

So yes, I have too many...
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#36]
My opinion might make some people foam at the mouth, but I think it depends how many you have in rotation, if you only use one magazine, having 5-10 spares would be more than enough in my mind,  if you like all your ammo preloaded, and take 10-15 magazines to the range, then youre gonna want at least double that for backups, else all your magazines wear out at once.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is a person damaged that buys more mags just because they got a new case of ammo and need to put the rounds somewhere?  
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So I have 2 ARs, and about 70 magazines for them - mostly Pmags.  While I'm well satisfied with my inventory, reading through the pinned "mag whores" thread, it would seem I have a woefully inadequate supply by comparison.  

What is the strategy behind having hundreds of mags per riffle?  ??
View Quote

Is this a bragging thread?  It will be like gas mileage.  The first liar has no chance.

I have 10 ARs, around 100 mags, and so many cases of ammo I forgot where some of them are.  Then there are the reloading supplies......................

As I spin around looking at my stuff, my 27 inch penis knocks a lot of stuff down.  Oh shit, the keyboardasdfghjkl;./'41253
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Ten per a rifle is good IMO, with maybe five range mags to be shared amongst them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is a person damaged that buys more mags just because they got a new case of ammo and need to put the rounds somewhere?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No more so than a person who probably couldn't fill every mag with their current ammo supply.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:49:07 AM EDT
[#41]
WOW! I'm surprised at the number of mag's people have, or consider a good number to have.  And my wife thought I was nuts for wanting 9. That was my number since my vest holds 8 + 1 in the rifle.  I would like to have more but I've been putting the money towards ammo first since stacks of empty mags are useless.  Filling ammo boxes comes first in my mind.  Realistically, I probably already have more than I'll ever really need, but I'm slowly working on being prepared for a worst case scenario.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Buy all you can NOW.  I fully expect the idiot and chief to do something stupid in the next few days (not months, not weeks, DAYS)...and no I'm not a dealer and I'm not selling nothing...I'm buying everything I can though :)
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:14:31 AM EDT
[#43]
WOW! I'm surprised at the number of mag's people have, or consider a good number to have. And my wife thought I was nuts for wanting 9.
View Quote

You owe it to yourself to get at least twice as many as you would use/carry to replace any damaged ones. Honestly, the time is now to stock up on mags. The closer we get to election time, the higher mag prices will climb.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#44]

I think this is appropriate.

-I typically use one to two mag's for a range visit.  That was until snow hit the range.  In snow or sub 30's conditions you can not have enough loaded mags.  Something to think about.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#45]
After Christmas I realize I have 10 mags (color coordinated and labelled appropriately) for a rifle I have not built yet.  And I want to order at least a half dozen more...

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Because of this thread I have been stocking up!
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#48]
OK, so I ordered 3 more mags for now which gives me an even dozen,  plus some more ammo to stock.  I can see this site costing me money already!
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Can you ever have too many???  Wait don't ask your wife that question!!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#50]
3 ARs, 8 mags. 4 mags for every other gun that requires proprietary magazines.

Y'all are strange.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top