Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 11:17:35 PM EDT
I'm curious, who uses the Magpul ranger plates (either for GI or Magpul mags)? Or the "original magpul" on their mags?

For those who may not know what I'm talking about, check these links:

Ranger plate:
https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-ranger-plate-ar-m4-gen-m2-moe-556x45

"magpul" original:
https://www.magpul.com/products/original-magpul-762-nato

Now, who still thinks they are actually useful? More a nicety or a must have?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
its what i use for the mags on my plate carrier.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I use them both, and just picked up another 3 pack of the originals about a week ago.

I really like them, and even have them on my Blackdog .22 mags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I still use the Original Magpuls on my Mags. I rotated them on the bottom so they cover the entire bottom of the mag. Gives a good purchase area when drawing them from a pouch and adds protection when I let the mags drop free and let them hit what ever ground I'm on (Grass,asphalt,concrete,etc)
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I install the Magpul Ranger L floorplates on all magazines I count on.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a few of them on enough mags for my chest rig.  I tested those mags a while back, and now they are reserved for go time only.  I don't use them for plinking.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I install the Magpul Ranger L floorplates on all magazines I count on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a few of them on enough mags for my chest rig.  I tested those mags a while back, and now they are reserved for go time only.  I don't use them for plinking.
View Quote

Why just for "go time" and not plinking?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I put them on all of my mags I keep loaded with Razor Core...just to have an easy way to tell my loaded mags apart.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Waste. Simple 550 cord either around the baseplate or taped works well and allows you to use retention on your mag pouches, get gloved fingers in there, and hang empty mags on a carabiner. I find it funny that they are called "Ranger Plates" when the SOP for Ranger Regiment is and has been to use 550 cord.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Tried them, wanted to like them, but they just don't work with my kit. Been living without them since I got my first AR-15 in 1985, so I guess I'll just stick with what works for me.

1DD
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The Ranger plates have their use.  They do a great job of protecting the base plate when dropped on concrete, rocks, etc..  Hard drops result in few(er) rounds popping out and less damage and greater longevity.

The average person with one mag for home defense really doesn't need one.

These days I find them useful for 5-10 round mags when hunting in cold weather.  They REALLY help with popping a mag out fast when follow up shots are needed when snow is blowing and hands are well gloved.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I have them on my 6.8 mags so I can tell at a glance which caliber the mag is for.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We still sell a lot of Magpuls and Ranger plates for USGI mags. One of the reasons you see less of them is the massive shift to polymer magazines which has the drop protection and grippy-ness built into the magazine itself. PMag Ranger plates provide the loop solution for PMags and are more popular than original Magpuls on PMags.

For an idea on why Magpuls were created in the first place over using 550 cord it is best to browse through the original Magpul manual published originally in 1999 and included with every packet of Magpuls sold for the first 8 years or so.

Magpul -Guide to Advanced Tactical Reloading 1999-2000
View Quote

I still have my original instruction sheet...

I use to do the 550 cord back in the day... The Magpul was and is still a great idea...Thanks..
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]

I still have my Magpul Ranger plates on my USGI mags mostly on my mag chest rig, also I use the L-Plates on all my other spare mags.

Same with the PMAG Ranger plates on my most used mags on my rig.

In my own opinion the Ranger plates (or original Magpul whatever your personal preference) are a must have if you have magazine carriers, and I like the L-Plates on my spare USGI mags because they protect the bottom end of the mag when dropped in hard surfaces.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://oi51.tinypic.com/14csb2t.jpg
I still have my Magpul Ranger plates on my USGI mags mostly on my mag chest rig, also I use the L-Plates on all my other spare mags.

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2ljtao3.jpg
Same with the PMAG Ranger plates on my most used mags on my rig.

In my own opinion the Ranger plates (or original Magpul whatever your personal preference) are a must have if you have magazine carriers, and I like the L-Plates on my spare USGI mags because they protect the bottom end of the mag when dropped in hard surfaces.

View Quote

That is why they are installed on ALL of my "go to" mags. In addition they won't "blow off" as easily as a standard G.I. floorplate if dropped fully loaded on a hard surface.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks better and last longer than Duct tape.

No Goo

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I lost the feeling in my hand when I fractured my back.  Without them I wouldn't be able to get the mags out of my mag pouch.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Anybody know where I can find Magpods for a good price?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 2:04:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I love the original Magpuls. I simply cannot wear a spare AR magazine on my person all the time when in uniform. The public would freak and it's really not necessary so when the patrol rifle comes out the spare goes in the back pants pocket. The Magpul sticks out just right so that I can grab it easily. Same for the pocket that the mag stays in in my bag.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We still sell a lot of Magpuls and Ranger plates for USGI mags. One of the reasons you see less of them is the massive shift to polymer magazines which has the drop protection and grippy-ness built into the magazine itself. PMag Ranger plates provide the loop solution for PMags and are more popular than original Magpuls on PMags.

For an idea on why Magpuls were created in the first place over using 550 cord it is best to browse through the original Magpul manual published originally in 1999 and included with every packet of Magpuls sold for the first 8 years or so.

Magpul -Guide to Advanced Tactical Reloading 1999-2000
View Quote

I'd also say over the last 10 years gear makers have DRAMATICALLY improved.  One such improvement is the normalization of non-full length mag pouches which used to make mag-puls very handy.  Nowadays, most rigs allow a much better grip on the mag body.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top