Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2015 10:18:29 PM EDT
I need to pick up a couple dozen magazines.  Are gene worth the extra price over gen2?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe on the scar but for the AR15 the gen 2 is just fine.

I hated they stopped making gen 2 pmags in 20 rounds. I liked the straight look over the gen 3 curve.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope.  After using both I think the Gen M2 is a better magazine than the Gen M3.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope.  After using both I think the Gen M2 is a better magazine than the Gen M3.
View Quote

What he said ^^^^^^
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What he said ^^^^^^
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said ^^^^^^

This, unless you own something other than an AR
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
For the price, Gen 2 offers great value. I prefer them to Gen 3 Pmags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]
For me Gen 2 straight 20 rounds followed by Gen3 20 rounders.  I wish they kept the Gen2 mags.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.......
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Agree on preferring Gen2 over Gen3, with the slight exception of liking the Gen3's less-bulky floorplate. Actually "disliking it less" is more accurate than actually "liking it".

That said, if I were to only have a couple dozen magazines, they wouldn't be Pmags at all. Or Lancers, or ETS, or Hexmags, or anything other than Okay's. I have (and like) Pmags and Lancers, and even the new version of the E-Landers. But my serious-use magazines have been Okay/NHMTG for over 30 years, and I'm too old to even want to change at this point.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said ^^^^^^

what makes the Gen2 better IYO?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Other than the smaller floor plate the M3 does nothing better than the M2.  Put the M3 floor plate on the M2  - call it the M4 and then you are talking.

For the AR rifle it really wasn't all that big of an upgrade since they already worked.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Other than the smaller floor plate the M3 does nothing better than the M2.  Put the M3 floor plate on the M2  - call it the M4 and then you are talking.

For the AR rifle it really wasn't all that big of an upgrade since they already worked.
View Quote

Floor plates aren't interchangeable, I don't think the followers are either.  

Magpul says they're the best thing ever, I've had problems with the top two rounds crossing up that I never have, and still don't have with the Gen M2.

Add that to the fact that some lowers won't accept the Gen M3 because of the over travel stop and it's a magazine I just don't have any interest in.

The Gen M2 was designed to be an AR magazine and it's what I prefer.  Colt, Daniel Defense, Smith and Wesson, Novseske, they use the Gen M2 as OE mags...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I was saying to make the M2 with M3 floor plates as a new design hence the M4 joke.

But yea, I like the M2 better in every way except the floor plates.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Magpul says they're the best thing ever, I've had problems with the top two rounds crossing up that I never have, and still don't have with the Gen M2.

Add that to the fact that some lowers won't accept the Gen M3 because of the over travel stop and it's a magazine I just don't have any interest in.

The Gen M2 was designed to be an AR magazine and it's what I prefer.  Colt, Daniel Defense, Smith and Wesson, Novseske, they use the Gen M2 as OE mags...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do agree the over travel stop is dumb, but most guns don't have built in over travel stops like the AR-15 does, and as long as your lower is built like a mil spec one then it shouldn't have issues.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#14]
My 'mil-spec' BCM lower is the one that won't accept Gen M3 mags.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Somebody's spec is off then.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the big thread on TOS it was said that the spec for that part of the magwell/ trigger guard is not well defined.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#17]
To the OP, if you are planning to get a few dozen mags, I'd suggest a dozen Gen 2 Pmags and couple dozen NHMTG/Okay mags split between 20 and 30 rounders.
The 20 rounders are great for prone shooting, and get a couple Pmag 10 rounders that are very low profile for bench shooting/sighting in.

The Gen 3 Pmags don't really offer any benefit in an AR unless you plan to own some other 5.56 platform.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Are y'all gonna make the M2 in sand??
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Non AR compatibility (HK416, SA80, FN SCAR etc) is a major feature of the M3.

In addition to this the M3 is also more impact resistant than the M2 in extreme environments as well as being overall slimmer than the M2.

That said the M2 is combat proven design at a very affordable price which is why it remains solidly in the mag line up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To the OP, if you are planning to get a few dozen mags, I'd suggest a dozen Gen 2 Pmags and couple dozen NHMTG/Okay mags split between 20 and 30 rounders.
The 20 rounders are great for prone shooting, and get a couple Pmag 10 rounders that are very low profile for bench shooting/sighting in.

The Gen 3 Pmags don't really offer any benefit in an AR unless you plan to own some other 5.56 platform.

Non AR compatibility (HK416, SA80, FN SCAR etc) is a major feature of the M3.

In addition to this the M3 is also more impact resistant than the M2 in extreme environments as well as being overall slimmer than the M2.

That said the M2 is combat proven design at a very affordable price which is why it remains solidly in the mag line up.

For my environment I prefer the combat proven M2.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had and used PMags for years.  After trying all generations I am sold on Gen 2's, they just seem to work better.  They fit every AR I own and my Robinson Armament M96 with no issues what so ever.  I've traded all my Gen 3's for Gen 2's.  All I own now are Gen 2's.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#24]
What premium do you speak of?  I pay the same for 3's as I do 2's and like both.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I do like that the Gen3's come with the dust cap which I like to use when storing loaded.  Can't really tell any difference other than that in my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer the M2 myself.  I don't care for the overinsertion stop and the M3 "feels" flimsy compared to the M2 for whatever reason.

That said, I've never had a problem with the M3.  But I have 4 of those compared to a lot of Gen 1 and M2 PMAGs.  I even like the EMAG more than the M3, but I wish they didn't put the stop on the latest version.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top