Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2015 1:11:11 PM EDT
real world opinions?

Ive heard why ETS is "best" from the company, Lancer isnt really represented here, nor is HK.

Those who have real experience with all 3, whats the 'best' magazine, and why?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience with any of 'em, but I read this same thread posted at least once a week and Lancer is always everyone's favorite.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have any experience with any of 'em, but I read this same thread posted at least once a week and Lancer is always everyone's favorite.
View Quote

Same. I have friends that rave about the Lancer's. I get the impression that ETS are good mags. But like samuse said, people tend to be crazy for those Lancer mags around these parts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Lancer, ETS, everything else, HK

i would say ets and lancer are equal, but im not a huge fan of ETS's floor plates

Hk steel are heany and can be damaged easily HK polymer is expensive and cant use stripper clips
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Lancers are the best of both worlds with the plastic bodies and metal feed lips.

I buy pmags to sell in the next panic,I buy Lancers and USGI to keep.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think Lancers are the best of both worlds with the plastic bodies and metal feed lips.

View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are asking about HK steel mags, I would rate them AFTER TIME on the same level as ProMags, total junk!

A. - Expensive
B. - Heavy
C. - Springs get weak and you can't purchase replacements
D. - Feed lips are improperly heat treated, and "spring" after time resulting in the dreaded Type III malfunction (Double Feed)
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Im interested in polymer mags, not the martime ones
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Agreed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

This
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I trust my life with Lancers.  Durable and reliable.  I don't have experience with the other two but I just don't trust plastic feed lips.  I've seen torture tests from ETS that looks promising though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I have Magpul, ETS and Lancers and a huge amount of USGI. The ETS and Lancers get used more now than the Magpul mags now. I have 50-60 Magpul mags and will probably use them for selling or trading come the next panic.

I bought a few ETS mags to try them out and was very impressed. Bought more and will most likely buy 10-15 more each month for awhile.
Would love to find Lancers a bit cheaper, Wilson Combat runs a sale on them periodically. That's when I pick them up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im interested in polymer mags, not the martime ones
View Quote

Ets and lancer are worlds better, as are magpul and usgi
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 6 or 7 lancer mags I really like them they are well made
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Lancers are excellent, and I am slowly building up a stash of them. But it is hard to ignore the GEN 2 Magpuls floating around for $10.00 or so.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I am really wanting to put some ETS mags in my cruiser, but they're still a little more expensive than pmags... hopefully when their supply gets larger, their price will drop to pmags prices.

I hate being poor.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#16]
IMHO.

Lancer
MagPul
D&H/ USGI, NMTG etc
ETS.
Hex mag

ETS is only down there because they have not had the time to prove themselves.  We use them now almost exclusively at the shop as safety mags. Limited range use has been very good as well.  

Almost everyone in out industry has tossed their MagPul Glock  17 mags on first review.  Looking at ETS mags very hard right now as safety mags across the board as an industry.

With this list in mind, I have about 40% MagPul, 40% D&H and the rest are a mix.  Lancer is too high priced for the small advantage over MagPul IMO.

Now that Hexmag is coming down to reasonable prices i think they are worth looking at.  Good mags. Just not 1.5X magpul and lancer prices on an unproven mag.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Can get Lancers for $10-$12.  Not really any more expensive than PMAGs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Lancers are my favorite mags.  I like to be able to see my ammo and I like the metal feed lips.  Another big benefit for me is that Lancer is 30 minutes from my house.  They have always been great.  A couple of years ago a Lancer employee invited me to stop in...I was given free mags, so I was pretty happy about that level of CS.

I do have more USGI mags, but I buy Lancers when I can since they are my favorite.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where can you get Lancers for 10.00 ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, no kidding. Post it in the thread at the top of the page. i would be on that deal like ham on a sandwich.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#21]
DSA has lancers at 13 bucks a mag

I am going to try to phase out my magpul mags because the round transposition issue

Plus I have never been able to seat a pmag on a closed bolt
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Aside from being a great all-around mag, the clear/translucent Lancers are just plain cool.

Price wise, you have to shop them hard.  Some places discount well, others charge full sticker.  Notoriously unreliable botach often has them under $10 each.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yea, no kidding. Post it in the thread at the top of the page. i would be on that deal like ham on a sandwich.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Botach has 6 Lancer AWM for $55 if you can catch them in stock.  Pretty sure it's been posted in the mag deals thread a few times.  They also have two mags and magazine coupler for $22.  Got a couple Lancers from Mag Commander for $11.29.  For smoke color the cheapest I've found that's actually in stock fairly often is the pack of 5 black and 5 smoke for $125 from DSG Arms.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#24]
The "B" retailer isn't supposed to be ever mentioned on ARFCOM.

They are BANNED!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:10:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I snagged up 40 when DSG arms accidentally listed lancers for $10 each. They honored it which is kudos to them and I got super lucky
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Have tons of gi, magpul, lancers and ets. I really like the ets mags but have not had any problems with any of them. When I can get ets or lancers close to what I pay for magpuls, I buy some. Really don't see the benefit of paying several dollars more for the other then the magpuls except for getting the clear ones. Those, I like a lot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:08:24 AM EDT
[#27]
question aboit the lancers. are they thin like metal magazines? the ETS mags have a thicker bottom half i notice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Lancers are about the same width as USGI mags and the floor plate isn't wider than the body.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I buy clear Lancers.  They are also the most expensive and hardest to find.  Budget $20/mag.  The "cheap" lancers are always the Opaque ones - which is a dead specification to me.

ETS look nice, but I prefer the mold design of the Lancers and the integrated witness marks.  The ETS coupler is clever, and a feature to some folks, but has no value to me personally.

Magpul does not make a clear mag, and the window is inferior to the clear body concept for my personal preferences.

Functionally I would trust the reliability of any of them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#31]
so I received my lancers.  NOw I have something to compare the ETS too.  

First things first, the Lancer feels thinner.  It is also shorter.  The baseplate on the ETS is a huge.  Big booty hoe huge.

The walls of the Lancer is thinner.  It will flex when squeezed with finger pressure.  The ETS does not do this for me.

ETS follower feels smoother going down and up using ruler test.  I do like the grip of the Lancer better.

Cosmetically, I prefer the Lancer hands down.  It appears both are very good and reliable magazines though.  So it'll come down to price and preference.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#32]
I had minor issues with Lancer AWM

If I forcibly tapped a Lancer AWM into a lower ( Open Bolt)  in would sometimes let go of the top
round causing a jam. Never had that happen with a USGI or a Magpul Gen 2 or Gen 3
Not a big deal.  When using my Lancers I just give it a firm push instead of a
hard tap & have not had a problem since.
Just pointing it out because if you train with a hard tap you might want to change to a lite tap
if using Lancer AWM

Update- This post got me thinking so I called Lancer Tech support and spoke to Dan regarding the
Issue I have been having with my Lancer AWM.. He ask me if in training were my magazines fully loaded..
Thinking back to the times this happened I downloaded to 10 or 15 round to practice magazine changes.
He thinks this might of caused my problems to decreased spring tension on the top round. I think he might be right.

John

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Dup Sorry
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If I forcibly tapped a Lancer AWM into a lower ( Open Bolt)  in would sometimes let go of the top
round causing a jam. Never had that happen with a USGI or a Magpul Gen 2 or Gen 3
Just pointing it out because if you train with a hard tap you might want to change to a lite tap
if using Lancer AWM

Update- This post got me thinking so I called Lancer Tech support and spoke to Dan regarding the
Issue I have been having with my Lancer AWM.. He ask me if in training were my magazines fully loaded..
Thinking back to the times this happened I downloaded to 10 or 15 round to practice magazine changes.
He thinks this might of caused my problems to decreased spring tension on the top round. I think he might be right.

John

View Quote

Well.... does this problem occur when you reduce the cartridge counts in your USGI magazines too?  If it doesn't, why shouldnt we be worry it's doing it in the Lancer?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well.... does this problem occur when you reduce the cartridge counts in your USGI magazines too?  If it doesn't, why shouldnt we be worry it's doing it in the Lancer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if using Lancer AWM

Because when using them for duty and reloading  with an open bolt
they will be fully loading with maximum spring tension on the top round.
I downloaded  10-15 rds for training. In real life I will be reloading full magazines.
I will give it a try over the weekend and see if loading full magazines with a hard
tap loses the top round. I will report back. I have a feeling Dan from Lancer was
right.

John

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#36]
O
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if using Lancer AWM

John

In original  my post I said it never happens with my USGI or PMAGS

In real life I will always be loading a full magazine on an open bolt.  So if the Lancers don't pop
the top round when tapping the magazine in hard while fully loaded this issue
will a non-issue.
Besides for this my Lancers have been just a reliable as my USGI MAGPUL followers and my PMAGS
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In real life I will always be loading a full magazine on an open bolt.  So if the Lancers don't pop
the top round when tapping the magazine in hard while fully loaded this issue
will a non-issue.
Besides for this my Lancers have been just a reliable as my USGI MAGPUL followers and my PMAGS
View Quote

I wouldn't count on it.  That's going to cost you a purple mother fucker of a double feed one day when you really don't want it to.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I buy clear Lancers.  They are also the most expensive and hardest to find.  Budget $20/mag.  The "cheap" lancers are always the Opaque ones - which is a dead specification to me.
them.
View Quote

Not real hard to find smoke and clear Lancers for $12.50-$14.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
them.

Since you are able to easily find them, for a good price it seems, mind listing where?
Eta-  you can also pm me if you prefer...
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Since you are able to easily find them, for a good price it seems, mind listing where?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
them.

I too would like to know your easy source for clear Lancers for $12.50
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#41]

<No free plugs for a named or hinted Banned Vendor.............dpmmn>

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#44]
turning into a looking for mags thread
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top