Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2015 2:49:12 PM EDT
Hi guys, I bought a pair of 40 round pmags and I love them.  The problem is, I'm moving away from pmags.  Is there another company that makes the 40 rounders?  Also, let me know what your opinion is of them.  If you own them I'd love to see some pictures as well.

EDIT: I need to explain why I'm moving away from pmags.  I'm moving away from pmags because the gen 3 pmags fit too loosely in my lower.  The wiggle quite a bit in each direction when installed.  The amount of wiggle is much less pronounced with the gen 2s, but virtually non existent with hexmags or stanags.  I prefer polymer here, but if you guys have a good source of 40 round aluminum mags that is also awesome.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are you moving away from P-Mags?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would you move away from Pmags?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm moving away from pmags because the gen 3 pmags fit too loosely in my lower.  The wiggle quite a bit in each direction when installed.  The amount of wiggle is much less pronounced with the gen 2s, but virtually non existent with hexmags or stanags.  I prefer polymer here, but if you guys have a good source of 40 round aluminum mags that is also awesome.

Sorry I should have explained this in my first post!
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Do said p mags cause a malfunction? or is it aesthetics thing?

I believe Lancer makes a 42 rd mag.

Then there are always the jam o matic 100 rd beta mags
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's better to fit a little loose than be whining that they don't drop free.

I'm no big fan of the Gen M3 but for a 40, you're not gonna do much better...
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I checked it out, and I can't seem to find any 42 rd mags made by lancer.  Apparently promag does, but I have an AK mag and its just not my favorite.  Perhaps I should sell my AK and buy an AUG?

Originally Posted By samuse

It's better to fit a little loose than be whining that they don't drop free.

I'm no big fan of the Gen M3 but for a 40, you're not gonna do much better

I agree with you to an extent.  However, the stanags and hex mags drop free no problems.  I can't put a magazine in the mag well before it drops with any mag, so I consider that good enough.  
The issue I have with the wobble is that it makes for an unsteady monopod.  I don't want to keep a bipod on my rifle at all times and I damn sure don't want to take the time to attach it when I'm messing around and going prone.  I've practiced with the rifle on the magazine and I like that method.  Unfortunately the wobble of the pmags reduces some of my stability.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I also found these!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/49218?td_source=search
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#10]
45 round DPMS magazine
Beta C
LANCER SYSTEMS’ L5Competition 48
Tripp Super 42 and Super 52 Magazine
Nordic Components Magazine Extension 18 Round
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]

FYI, those polymer 40 rds mags are made in Bulgaria, same construction specs as their AK mags, meaning steel reinforced feed section.  I have 4 of them and used them well before the Pmag 40 rds came.  They work great!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can find them and are willing to pay the price, Sterling Armaments 40rd mags are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to try some E-Lander 40's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I have E-landers that work but not sure if i would ever try the 40 rounder due to price and weight.  The old C Products mags were good surprisingly but for now the best deal is MagPul.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
FYI, those polymer 40 rds mags are made in Bulgaria, same construction specs as their AK mags, meaning steel reinforced feed section.  I have 4 of them and used them well before the Pmag 40 rds came.  They work great!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

x2. Great mags!

You can buy them from MWG for a bit cheaper than Centerfire sells them, but I'm not sure how the shipping costs compare.

http://www.mwgco.com/ar-15_accessories/product/012-IK-40SR.html

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Actually yes Sterling was great but so we're the PMI/FED ORD 40rnd mags were it's equal also hard to find either of these will do you well I myself have 8 sterling s and 12 PMI mags all were worth it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#18]
The answer you seek...http://www.mwgco.com/ar-15_accessories/product/012-IK-40SR.html

I was attracted to them at first because they have a reputation for handling 5.45x39 in an AR very well, but I'm sure they would serve you well in their designed caliber.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#19]
In just about every instance, I'd rather have a polymer magazine.  I would love to have a collection of those sterling mags, but I cannot justify the price.  

Those MWG mags definitely look to be the ticket.  I ordered one just a moment ago and I'm going to begin testing it.  If all goes well I'm sending my pmags and my hexmags to a new home.  

You guys rock thanks for digging deep and recommending something that is a little obscure but fits the bill perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Actually yes Sterling was great but so we're the PMI/FED ORD 40rnd mags were it's equal also hard to find either of these will do you well I myself have 8 sterling s and 12 PMI mags all were worth it.
View Quote

Yes, my PMI's work every bit as good as my Sterlings. I keep one of those two in my go-to gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#21]
My MGW 40 round magazines came in today.  They drop free and wobble 90% less than the pmags.  They absolutely need some stippling, but that isn't an issue to me :)

Thanks again gentlemen!  Time for some reliability testing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I also found these!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/49218?td_source=search
View Quote

These are Nationals.  They're junk.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
I had a few of each from back in the good ol'days and I have to agree the PMI/FedOrd were just as reliable as the sterling,both great mags.

I sold my sterling mags for a ridiculous amount back during the magban to buy G17 mags for a ridiculous amount

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#24]

I recognize that ugly bastard

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top